• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can a 18 year old buy 22lr ammo online or at Walmart

JoeSparky

Centurion
IF the 18 yo is purchasing for a RIFLE then there is NOT FEDERAL Law against it. IF the .22LR rounds are being purchased for a handgun then there IS a Federal Law against it.

bunnspecial

It's been a while since I bought 22LR at Walmart(not for lack of trying) but the last time I did I seem to remember being asked "Rifle or Handgun."

By law(as alluded to above) if you answer "rifle" they can sell it to you. If you answer "handgun" they can not.

3FULLMAGS+1

Hell of a thing to have to lie to excersize a constitutional right!!!
When I turned 18 and I started paying income tax to the feds/state, well.....let's just say I wasn't about to be discriminated against, because of my age.....PERIOD!

OC for ME

.22LR ammo won't work in a .22LR pistola, everybody knows that. Ya gotta use .22 Shorts cuz a pistola is short-er than a long rifle.

NMOCr

.22LR ammo won't work in a .22LR pistola, everybody knows that. Ya gotta use .22 Shorts cuz a pistola is short-er than a long rifle.

No necessarily true. Some handguns may use shorts, but my 11 shot .22 revolver handgun uses 22lr in addition to 22Shorts. I have seen 22LR semiautomatic handguns. The law says that if the retailer thinks that you are buying them for a handgun, then they can not sell them to you if you are under 21.

bunnspecial

Considering how things have been at the Walmarts around here lately, I think that the answer to the question asked is "no" regardless of the age of the person buying.

Hopefully that will change soon :)

mikeyb

OP has not posted back so I assume he has not gone to Walmart to buy .... oh well...end of thread I guess

or maybe he did. maybe he was able to purchase the ammo. and maybe he brought it home, opened up the box of ammo, and a bullet went off and "kilt him dead"? clearly ammo is dangerous, and cannot be purchased by 18 year olds. these same 18 year olds who vote, serve in the military, buy tobaccy products, etc.

(this is sarcasm, btw)

09jisaac

No necessarily true. Some handguns may use shorts, but my 11 shot .22 revolver handgun uses 22lr in addition to 22Shorts. I have seen 22LR semiautomatic handguns. The law says that if the retailer thinks that you are buying them for a handgun, then they can not sell them to you if you are under 21.

I don't think you got the joke.

.22 shorts, .22 longs and .22 long rifles (longest) are very similar rounds, differing mainly in length and power.

If a firearm would fire the longer rounds then it will fire, even if it won't cycle, the shorter rounds.

Since .22 LR is the most popular most rifles and handguns are chambered for this round.

MKEgal

I remember reading posts by various upset young adults (of the over-18 but under-21 variety) that WallyWorld will not sell ammo to adults under 21, even though they're buying it for a rifle, can tell them what rifle they're buying for, and it's legal.

OP would probably have the most success going to a local sporting store or firearms store. If going to a store with a range, take the rifle(s) with you.

As for online:
ammoman requires proof of age, or will send it "adult signature required". Sounds promising for young adults.
http://ammoman.com/proof-of-age

ammunitiontogo says nothing about proof of age
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/conditions.php

bulkammo says nothing about proof of age
http://www.bulkammo.com/frequently-asked-questions

luckygunner says nothing about age
http://www.luckygunner.com/frequently-asked-questions

midwayusa says nothing about age
http://www.midwayusa.com/category/ammunition

sgammo specifically says they sell rifle ammo to 18+yo
http://www.sgammo.com/conditions-use

Last edited:

MKEgal

davidmcbeth said:
OP has not posted back so I assume he has not gone to Walmart to buy... oh well... end of thread I guess
In looking at all 6 posts by that account (same day, same general tone), I've concluded that s/he is a LE troll trying to catch people advocating illegal acts.

davidmcbeth

Banned
In looking at all 6 posts by that account (same day, same general tone), I've concluded that s/he is a LE troll trying to catch people advocating illegal acts.

Well, I advocate illegal acts all the time .. look, I just removed that sticker from my mattress ...

The moderators should track the IP address and see...

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Well, I advocate illegal acts all the time .. look, I just removed that sticker from my mattress ...

The moderators should track the IP address and see...

Sorry to burst your Jesse James bubble, but what you copped to is not a crime.

Or were you aware of Title 15 - Commerce and Trade, Chapter 2, Subchapter V - Textile Fiber Products Identification, Section 70c - Removal of stamp, tag, label, or other identification Statute (a) Removal or mutilation after shipment in commerce, which states:

After shipment of a textile fiber product in commerce it shall be unlawful, except as provided in this subchapter, to remove or mutilate, or cause or participate in the removal or mutilation of, prior to the time any textile fiber product is sold and delivered to the ultimate consumer, any stamp, tag, label, or other identification required by this subchapter to be affixed to such textile fiber product, any person violating this section shall be guilty of an unfair method of competition, and an unfair or deceptive act or practice, under the Federal Trade Commission Act.

There goes your attempt to create a reputation as an evil arch villian.

stay safe.