• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Celebrating by firing your gun in the air, really?!?

nuc65

Activist Member
This made me pretty angry and I cannot imagine the pain the parents must feel. "http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2356851/Seven-year-old-boy-dies-hit-stray-bullet-fired-air-walked-July-4-fireworks-display.html"

But what idiot fires a gun in the air? I deem this as criminal. Sure, I fire my piece at the range but never anywhere it isn't safe or required.

builtjeep

Living in petersburg, this seems to be the way the fourth is celebrated in the hood. Same happens at midnight on new year's. Wife and I stay inside, lock the doors and wish we could afford the ammo that we hear being wasted. :mad:

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

JohnM15A

Living in petersburg, this seems to be the way the fourth is celebrated in the hood. Same happens at midnight on new year's. Wife and I stay inside, lock the doors and wish we could afford the ammo that we hear being wasted. :mad:

Same here in "Hoodbridge". Our development is chuck full of wonderful fun loving Hispanics but on New Year and the 4th they do like to make a racket. Usually 100 or 500 count packs of firecrackers but several firearms also...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
This is an argument I'm not going to get into but there's more to this boys death than shooting up in the air. IF and there is only guesswork now, IF he was killed by a stray shot from somewhere, it was not from one shot up in the air at more than a 45 degree angle.

The old falling bullet death is a myth and I don't care how many news reports there are. A less than 200 grain bullet falling at a maximum on 120 miles an hour...isn't going to penetrate anyone's skull.

Not saying shooting in the air is a good idea, just that it isn't going to kill anyone any more than a penny off of the Empire State Building.

That bullet works out to less than 14 foot pounds BTW.

My guess is someone shooting some anemic round like a 40, lobbed it over the crowds heads from a couple of hundred yards.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This is an argument I'm not going to get into but there's more to this boys death than shooting up in the air. IF and there is only guesswork now, IF he was killed by a stray shot from somewhere, it was not from one shot up in the air at more than a 45 degree angle.

The old falling bullet death is a myth and I don't care how many news reports there are. A less than 200 grain bullet falling at a maximum on 120 miles an hour...isn't going to penetrate anyone's skull.

Not saying shooting in the air is a good idea, just that it isn't going to kill anyone any more than a penny off of the Empire State Building.

That bullet works out to less than 14 foot pounds BTW.

My original "soft spot" theory was apparently flawed - fontanelles normal fuse before 3 years of age.

Nevertheless found this related to the physics of a bullet not fired straight up:

Firearms expert Julian Hatcher has studied falling bullets and found that on average .30 caliber rounds reach terminal velocities of 300 feet per second (90 m/s) and larger .50 caliber bullets have a terminal velocity of 500 feet per second (150 m/s). A bullet traveling at only 150 feet per second (46 m/s) to 170 feet per second (52 m/s) can easily penetrate human skin and at 200 feet per second (60 m/s), that same bullet can penetrate the skull. Even a bullet that does not penetrate the skull may still result in an intracranial injury.

Conclusion: Can be fatal.
http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/q...red-into-the-air-kill-a-person-when-they-fall

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
My original "soft spot" theory was apparently flawed - fontanelles normal fuse before 3 years of age.

Nevertheless found this related to the physics of a bullet not fired straight up:

Firearms expert Julian Hatcher has studied falling bullets and found that on average .30 caliber rounds reach terminal velocities of 300 feet per second (90 m/s) and larger .50 caliber bullets have a terminal velocity of 500 feet per second (150 m/s). A bullet traveling at only 150 feet per second (46 m/s) to 170 feet per second (52 m/s) can easily penetrate human skin and at 200 feet per second (60 m/s), that same bullet can penetrate the skull. Even a bullet that does not penetrate the skull may still result in an intracranial injury.

Conclusion: Can be fatal.
http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/q...red-into-the-air-kill-a-person-when-they-fall

That's where the confusion is Grape, Hatcher discusses a bullet in an arc (lobbing) instead of in freefall (Shooting in the air). The Army did a series of studies on this and the bottom line (Granted with a lot of conflicting data) was in a true freefall (No forward thrust left), the bullet won't even hit the 120 MPH mark because it has lost its stabilizing spin and will tumble.

Yes, it could cause death from trauma but that's not what happened here.

It's not that I'm disputing the fact that the kid was killed by a stray shot, it's the phrase "Firing in the air" I object to.

That's like saying my holdover on a 1000 yard target is firing in the air.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Still someone discharged their gun in an irresponsible manner resulting in the death of a young boy. Granted there is no cause/reason to presume that a CHP holder was involved nor cause to malign those that carry for personal defense. Unfortunately that is what this journalist does - that is why I accused him of "[highlight]yellow journalism[/highlight]".

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Still someone discharged their gun in an irresponsible manner resulting in the death of a young boy. Granted there is no cause/reason to presume that a CHP holder was involved nor cause to malign those that carry for personal defense. Unfortunately that is what this journalist does - that is why I accused him of "[highlight]yellow journalism[/highlight]".

+1

builtjeep

Indeed. I'm well aware of the fact that a falling bullet will not kill (actually know a guy who was struck by one, got a hell of a headache and a good knot on his noggin), however I've also seen more than a couple of our local idiots who seem to think that approximately 45° is far enough to aim upward.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Agree with the assessments of flat-out biased "journalism"

BUT

I think we as gun owners should be loudly and publicly decrying behavior such as this. It is NOT what we stand for.

FreeInAZ

I think they should make anvil guns just for these people. They would be equipped with a sensor & only fire when the barrel was 90 degrees from the ground (pointing straight up). The range need only be a few feet. These should be given away free with obama phones. ;) Thus solving multiple problems at once. :D

Win-win! Just kidding...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP But what idiot fires a gun in the air? I deem this as criminal.

Are you genuinely surprised and considering such to be criminal? Or, just adopting that position?

If the latter, I'll be quiet.

If the former, don't forget our schools and culture stopped teaching firearm safety decades ago. Separately, its kinda hard to make it criminal without men rea. Some people really are that dumb and don't know any better. The solution is to teach them (before the tragedy happens). Personally, I've got little respect for the public school system. But, if we're going to be stuck with it, then it should teach some useful stuff like firearm safety.

TFred

Are you genuinely surprised and considering such to be criminal? Or, just adopting that position?

If the latter, I'll be quiet.

If the former, don't forget our schools and culture stopped teaching firearm safety decades ago. Separately, its kinda hard to make it criminal without mens rea. Some people really are that dumb and don't know any better. The solution is to teach them (before the tragedy happens). Personally, I've got little respect for the public school system. But, if we're going to be stuck with it, then it should teach some useful stuff like firearm safety.
Re: Bolded section, surely you jest. Nearly EVERY gun-control law makes one a criminal without the required element of mens rea...

TFred

va_tazdad

There is no shortage

of idiot gun owners or graduates of the "Dangerous" Dan Rather school of Yellow Journalism.

This incident has shown both unfortunately.

Hopefully, somebody saw what happened and will come forward so the child can at least have justice as he didn't have a chance for a full life.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
of idiot gun owners or graduates of the "Dangerous" Dan Rather school of Yellow Journalism.

This incident has shown both unfortunately.

Hopefully, somebody saw what happened and will come forward so the child can at least have justice as he didn't have a chance for a full life.
Not likely that this person will ever be identified unless someone can trace the original arc of the shot definitely or ballistic markings have evolved to a level seen only on CSI :(

davidmcbeth

Banned
Not likely that this person will ever be identified unless someone can trace the original arc of the shot definitely or ballistic markings have evolved to a level seen only on CSI :(

Its was Biden's wife ... next mystery!

Really, we don't have enough facts yet IMO.

But Biden's wife is a good likelihood.