Thread: ATTN Miss. Localities - Mississippi state law bars banning gun carry at city hall

Moderator / Administrator

ATTN Miss. Localities - Mississippi state law bars banning gun carry at city hall

Um, yeah.

Sorry Mississippi localities.

Mississippi state law bars localities from banning gun carry on municipal property including inside city hall. See MISS. CODE ANN. 45-9-51. Certain ordinances prohibited:

Subject to the provisions of Section 45-9-53, no county or municipality may adopt any ordinance that restricts or requires the possession, transportation, sale, transfer or ownership of firearms or ammunition or their components.

Read more at http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state...ssissippi.aspx

The only 2 exceptions are for local gun bans "in parks" and "at meetings."

Mike,

As I just learned and documented in http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...mption-holdout, they can ban carry at "public meetings."

Reference 45-9-53(f), which allows municipalities "to regulate the carrying of a firearm at: (i) a public park or at a public meeting of a county, municipality or other governmental body; (ii) a political rally, parade or official political meeting; or (iii) a nonfirearm-related school, college or professional athletic event."

This wouldn't allow them to declare all of city hall or other buildings off limits, but they can legally restrict carriers from entering the meeting rooms.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    Mike,

As I just learned and documented in http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...mption-holdout, they can ban carry at "public meetings."

Reference 45-9-53(f), which allows municipalities "to regulate the carrying of a firearm at: (i) a public park or at a public meeting of a county, municipality or other governmental body; (ii) a political rally, parade or official political meeting; or (iii) a nonfirearm-related school, college or professional athletic event."

This wouldn't allow them to declare all of city hall or other buildings off limits, but they can legally restrict carriers from entering the meeting rooms.
    Mike did mention parks and meetings at the end of his post. Thanks for the elaboration

I went to the Harrison County tax collectors office on Friday (they were closed). There was a sign on the door that said somthing like:

"Firearms are not allowed on the premises. Anyone carrying a firearm will be considered trespassing, subjest to seizure or arrest.

Moderator / Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by georg jetson View Post
    Mike did mention parks and meetings at the end of his post. Thanks for the elaboration

I went to the Harrison County tax collectors office on Friday (they were closed). There was a sign on the door that said somthing like:

"Firearms are not allowed on the premises. Anyone carrying a firearm will be considered trespassing, subjest to seizure or arrest.
    Everyone in Miss. needs to politely notify officials of this preemption statute when you see signange or hear of resolution in violation of the law - send them the link.

Now courthouses are a different matter as the Miss. AG recently noted - the judiciary is a branch of government and should not be conflated with localities - a long standing legal maxim is that the judges control the courthouse. Full stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Everyone in Miss. needs to politely notify officials of this preemption statute when you see signange or hear of resolution in violation of the law - send them the link.

Now courthouses are a different matter as the Miss. AG recently noted - the judiciary is a branch of government and should not be conflated with localities - a long standing legal maxim is that the judges control the courthouse. Full stop.
    As a follow up to this, I had called the State Attorney's office about the sign at the tax collector's office. I had to do business there today and found the "no gun sign" removed. The AJ of Ms is serious about the local authorities obeying the law. Congrats Ms for having reasponsible and honest leadership!!!