• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spokane City Counsel Meeting July 8th

Jeff Hayes

On Monday night Spokane City Counsel will vote on a new law to bring the City into compliance with state law RCW 9.41.0290. Currently it is unlawful to carry a firearm at the Spokane Arena, Joe Albi Stadium, INB and the Spokane Convention Center. Before everyone gets started I know it is preempted and the law is not worth the ink used to write. This has been a year long process to get this done lots of feet dragging and putting stuff off as long as possible. But with steady pressure for Hadji, Fetch and a few others finally got it done.

The last thing we need is a show of support by attending the City Counsel meeting Monday night at 6 PM, we only need to be there long enough for the vote as soon as that is done we can leave. Two weeks ago they asked for the supporters of another law to stand up more than half in attendance stood up this makes a big difference.

Jeff

hermannr

On Monday night Spokane City Counsel will vote on a new law to bring the City into compliance with state law RCW 9.41.0290. Currently it is unlawful to carry a firearm at the Spokane Arena, Joe Albi Stadium, INB and the Spokane Convention Center. Before everyone gets started I know it is preempted and the law is not worth the ink used to write. This has been a year long process to get this done lots of feet dragging and putting stuff off as long as possible. But with steady pressure for Hadji, Fetch and a few others finally got it done.

The last thing we need is a show of support by attending the City Counsel meeting Monday night at 6 PM, we only need to be there long enough for the vote as soon as that is done we can leave. Two weeks ago they asked for the supporters of another law to stand up more than half in attendance stood up this makes a big difference.

Jeff

And be sure to OC when you attend. Did that at the Tonasket city council meeting. The changes haven't been posted as of last time I looked for Tonasket code online, but their 9.22, 9.24, and 9.50 have been actually changed. 9.22 does not exist any more, the others have been modified to comply with RCW 9.41.300.

hadji

The Spokane Public Facilities District has been notified.
I believe a representative plans to attend.

hadji

ccwinstructor

Centurion
I tried to find this as an agenda item for the City Council meeting, no luck

Jeff

Is this on an agenda somewhere? I could not find it. There should be an official announcement someplace.

Jeff Hayes

Dean I know my spell checker does not like Council and changes it to Counsel and sometimes I forget to change it back when I am done typing, honest I know the difference. Other than this one glitch it works great. And I see I spelled it wrong anyway, corrected now thanks.

Last edited:

hermannr

The Spokesman Review has an interesting write up, and has it almost completely wrong,

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2013/jul/07/city-may-strengthen-firearms-ban-in-public/

I do hope a lot of people show up OC. I will.

Huh? I know the spokesman review would love to put a liberal spin on this, but it would be interesting to see the actually proposed changes in the code. Don't you think? It would be very possible that the ordinance COULD require all contracts for city facilities to third parties to have a "no firearms" clause, but there is no reasonable reason to do this.

hadji

Huh? I know the spokesman review would love to put a liberal spin on this, but it would be interesting to see the actually proposed changes in the code. Don't you think? It would be very possible that the ordinance COULD require all contracts for city facilities to third parties to have a "no firearms" clause, but there is no reasonable reason to do this.

I assure you, that is certainly not the case.

On 06-25-2013, at 08:07pm, I posted the entire text of the ordinance in another thread:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...the-news-KHQ-interview-with-Jeff-Hayes/page10
Please go back and read it; it will not take long.

That is the text that was read at the first reading during the June 24th Council meeting.
It cannot be changed without restarting the process.

fetch is correct; take almost every statement that Nick made, and 'negate' it.
For one example, this statement:
"Among other things, the ban clarifies that even handguns carried by individuals with concealed pistol permits are prohibited."
is not true. In fact, the ordinance notes that the exception stated in RCW 9.41.300 applies, which most definately allows
carry in public facilities, if the carrier has a CPL.

Compare the text of the ordinance with Nick's article, and determine for yourself if he got any of it right.

hadji

Jeff Hayes

I assure you, that is certainly not the case.

On 06-25-2013, at 08:07pm, I posted the entire text of the ordinance in another thread:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...the-news-KHQ-interview-with-Jeff-Hayes/page10
Please go back and read it; it will not take long.

That is the text that was read at the first reading during the June 24th Council meeting.
It cannot be changed without restarting the process.

fetch is correct; take almost every statement that Nick made, and 'negate' it.
For one example, this statement:
"Among other things, the ban clarifies that even handguns carried by individuals with concealed pistol permits are prohibited."
is not true. In fact, the ordinance notes that the exception stated in RCW 9.41.300 applies, which most definately allows
carry in public facilities, if the carrier has a CPL.

Compare the text of the ordinance with Nick's article, and determine for yourself if he got any of it right.

hadji

Not much of what Nick wrote is correct nor anything that Mr. Twohig said assuming it was reported correctly.

Last edited:

hadji

Current indications are that a large, quiet attendance is in order.

Probably no need to speak, but if you are so inclined,
be ready to stand to show support for this ordinance.

The meeting starts at 6pm.

hadji

Last edited:

Thor80

My head hurts after reading that article and listening to some of these people at the council meeting.... I did like how Dale responded during public testimony, I just find it hilarious that everyone thinks that this making it more restrictive when it is in fact lining up SMC resolving that PFD MUST FOLLOW STATE LAW, which states that anyone with a CPL is EXEMPT it cannot be any clearer in state law! I also would love to see the looks on their faces when they realize that the PFD cannot put restrictions on the PUBLIC, and that people don't realize that EVEN when the facility is leased out (like the Chiefs games) that it is still NOT ILLEGAL to carry at those events even if it may against the "rules"....... Why don't people get that? Either way looks like it just passed. On to the next step! Thanks to Hadji, Jeff and Fetch and others involved in getting this housekeeping portion taken care of!

-Thor

Jeff Hayes

My head hurts after reading that article and listening to some of these people at the council meeting.... I did like how Dale responded during public testimony, I just find it hilarious that everyone thinks that this making it more restrictive when it is in fact lining up SMC resolving that PFD MUST FOLLOW STATE LAW, which states that anyone with a CPL is EXEMPT it cannot be any clearer in state law! I also would love to see the looks on their faces when they realize that the PFD cannot put restrictions on the PUBLIC, and that people don't realize that EVEN when the facility is leased out (like the Chiefs games) that it is still NOT ILLEGAL to carry at those events even if it may against the "rules"....... Why don't people get that? Either way looks like it just passed. On to the next step! Thanks to Hadji, Jeff and Fetch and others involved in getting this housekeeping portion taken care of!

-Thor

Yes it passed and the vote was unanimous, when they all realized that they had to comply with state law it was all over. Seven of us showed up 3 of us were OC not a word said although the SPD officer sat immediately behind us through out the entire meeting but that is usually were he sit at every meeting.

Onward to step two where we will need some financial support at some point in time.

hadji

Thanks to Hadji, Jeff and Fetch and others involved in getting this housekeeping portion taken care of!

-Thor

You are welcome.

As it turned out, I did not need to speak at last night's council meeting,
as others more capable than I were already on the list.

My good friend, Jonny Quest, called, and I am afraid our services are needed elsewhere.

I am sure that others will take up the cause, working through the next step.

Namaste.
hadji

hermannr

-Thor

I think a letter to the editor of the Review may be in order, just to set the record straight. I would do it, but I have not been part of the Spokane change (just Tonasket's) so I do not know the particulars. You should set that record strait with the newspaper though, and force them to correct the misunderstandings.