• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

gathering data - is it really 40%?

MKEgal

I'm tired of reading about how 40% of gun sales supposedly don't have a background check.
I'm going to do my own (completely unscientific) study.

I don't want anything other than these 2 bits of information:
1) how many guns do you own (right now, today; include ones that you're waiting to pick up from the dealer but have paid for)
2) how many of those did _not_ involve a background check

Use whatever email you want, no matter how obviously fake a name it is, and send your answers to me at mkegal.legal [AT] yahoo.com

After I accumulate a decent response (however I choose to define that - I'm thinking a minimum of 100 guns), I'll publish the totals.

I'm going to post this on some Facebook pages & other sites too, so please only answer once.
Feel free to have your friends answer too.

MKEgal

Any firearm you have acquired.
The anti's are including gifts & inheritance, we should too.

Current totals:
531 owned, 205 without a check, 38.6 %

It was running about 22% until I got several very dedicated collectors.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I'm not willing to say how many guns I own right now, but I can still recall every one I've ever aquired, blown up, or sold. Its kinda easy because there haven't been that many. I'm not so much a gun guy as I am a gun rights guy.

The total aquired without a backround check amounts to 20%.

Can I make a suggestion? Rather than refute the anti-gunners by doing your own study, maybe just dig the lies out of their data. Their anti-gunners. They've been caught lying, distorting, omitting, and improperly including things so many times, you can take to the bank the same underlies their current claims. Its practically guaranteed.

hafnhaf

i wonder how they count black powder guns and C&R goodies. Also, what about the toys from way before there were background checks. at this point i wouldnt even know how to count mine.

zack991

Hope this helps, I stopped buying from dealers a long time ago, only way I will is unless it is a very customized firearm.

Universal Background Check Dog and Pony Show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0EjOU0OCuA

Fact Check—Obama: 40% of All Gun Sales Private?
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...-Obama-Claims-40-Of-All-Gun-Sales-Are-Private

"So I started looking through databases for references to this figure, and I soon found myself reading a 2011 study by NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg titled, "Point, Click, Fire: An Investigation Into Illegal Online Gun Sales."

According to the study, "40% of guns are sold through private sellers." Moreover, the study claims that "these sales—which take place in many venues, including gun shows and, increasingly, on the internet... fuel the black market for illegal guns."

Many parts of this assertion are factually flawed or, at the least, very misleading.

First off, the figure of 40% doesn't represent new guns but guns already in circulation, which are being resold on a secondary basis. The intimation that 40% of new guns are being sold illegally is simply myth-making at best, lying at worst."

The 40% unchecked gun lie!
http://beforeitsnews.com/opinion-co...nows-the-gun-check-stat-is-bogus-2561118.html

"John Fund at National Review absolutely dismantles President Obama’s phony “40 percent of all gun purchases are conducted without a background check” factoid today. It’s astonishing just how absolutely and completely false this figure is. It’s not a little clever wordplay or a bit of disingenuous number-twisting from the President; it’s a flat-out lie, and he knows it.

To summarize Fund’s case: the study that purportedly produced the 40 percent figure (which was actually 36 percent, but Obama rounded it up, presumably because he thinks his target audience can’t handle two-digit numbers) comes from a tiny survey of only 251 people, conducted twenty years ago, which means “most of the survey covered sales before the Brady Act instituted mandatory federal background checks in early 1994.

And those who responded to this survey only thought they might have been buying guns from unlicensed dealers, based on their perception of the seller’s operation. No effort was made to verify if these impressions were accurate. Furthermore, the total included guns transferred as gifts or inheritances – transactions not even President Obama’s new proposals really crack down on."

Last edited:

Red Dawg

I, like alot of people would stew/skew/screw the totals. Being one of the last "boys" in my family, I have all the pass downs, and gifts, and well, I don't buy much from FFLs...

djdavis75

I'm not really comfortable disclosing how many firearms I own either, but I will say what percentage had or didn't have a background check at the time of purchase. I am omitting a few guns that belong to my kids, and the ones I no longer own. 33.33% were subject to a background check; however, 66.66% were purchased from a FFL, and if purchased today 66.66% would have been subject to a background check. The 33.33% were gifts from my dad, at least 1/2 of which I know he purchased new from an FFL.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
hafnhaf said:
i wonder how they count ... C&R goodies...
Guns purchased with a C&R should count as done with a background check. It's an FFL, and you had a background check when you got the license, same as a gun dealer.

1245A Defender

Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!

But that's due in part to the fact that you are too young to buy from an FFL.
That just cracked me up!!!!! I mean, it is true,,, EMN is OLD enough to buy, Own as many pistols, rifles, shot guns as he can carry, store,count! BUT in this day and age, where the antis are trying to pass any or all coccammy law to restore their control of the buying selling having bearing and keeping of all those evil GUNS!!! EMN! is too young to be background checked!!! Ha!!!!! Not that I don't trust him...

since9

Campaign Veteran
If you have delineated a difference between the non-FFL ones which were obtained legally vs illegally, this poll would have merit, as I suspect you're really trying to verify whether the 40% claim of "illegally-obtained" firearms is what you'd like to prove or debunk.

SwampLedge

84% of my guns were acquired without a background check. That's because I'm a 58 year old guy who bought one gun in the last 30 years. Others were bought in early 1980's or were inherited from my dad.

My answer is accurate, but not relevant to the point that anti-gunners are pressing. A better question would be how many of the firearms you purchased in the last 10 years were purchased without a background check.

condition one 1911

It should be 100%
My thought exactly.

Until you break a law* and use a gun in the process or commit a felony crime, how many guns you buy or own is not any business of "The Government."
That is not my opinion, or the opinion of the NRA. It is the opinion of the men who ratified the U.S. Constitution and signed their names to it.

*A legitimate law that does not violate any of the provisions contained in Articles 1-10 of the U.S. Bill of Rights.

Last edited:

We-the-People

52% checked, 48% no background check.....MANY of the non checked were purchased at "gun buybacks" via private party transfer.

As my "collection" grows, the percentage checked will fall as I have all the firearms (calibers/types) I "need" and will now simply concentrate on private party transfer purchases of those I WANT (and/or are a good buy for investment purposes).

hermannr

0% for everything acquired prior to 1968.

3 of 12 acquired since 1968 came through a FFL and have had a background check.

Oh yes, and two of two I no longer have possession of were given as gifts to family members, no FGC,

Last edited: