• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hello Ohio

Tuscarawas

New here.Found the info here to be very informative.The use of actual codes and laws have been very helpful.Hope to be a positive and useful member here,keep the info coming.Any thing about Tuscarawas Co please spread the knowledge.

Tuscarawas

Just to start

Have done some OC in Dover area.Walks around the neighborhood,to Eiler's Candy Shop(got a thumbs up from a motorist at the square),and at the laundry mat on Wooster Ave.Have not had any negative interactions.Going to use the info gathered here to hopefully make a positive experience of this.

3FULLMAGS+1

Tusc:

I recently joined this forum (I've been visiting this forum for probably over a year). I'm also on the Buckeye Firearms Assoc. forums. Good solid people there too. I live just N.of Tusc. co., in stark, near Beach City, and my wife and I frequent the strausburg, dover, and new phily area quite a bit, especially the Newtown mall. My wife doesn't carry, just me and I'll carry openly, 95% of the time and really never had any issues with law enforcement down there either! Back in '05, before I got a chl, when I was thinking about getting it, I had a conversation with a local leo. from New Phily. that was all for the public carryin', had no problem with it!
Back to your post, I also oc in the Buehlers groc. stores, sometimes having breakfast or lunch there to,the few resturants we frequent and the pharmacy (Rite Aide,I believe), across from Buehlers in dover, anyway, was there any certain information you were lookin' for?
By the way, if you ever shop at the Buehlers in dover and I'm there, I be the guy carryin' the XDs on my hip!
Also, glad to see another advocate out there furthering our RIGHTS!

Tuscarawas

Basically the info I'm looking for you have already started to fill.OC friendly establishments.The more we put the info out there the better it is for everyone.Can tell you that Advance Auto is Not oc friendly.They won't call le,but they will tell you there police requires them to ask you to leave.Now I know I can go to buehlers and rite aid oc.While at buehlers if I see ya I'll introduce myself and shake your hand.Thanks for the info and let's keep it out there.

3FULLMAGS+1

Tusc.:

I should mention, as for Newtown Mall, I've cc'd and oc'd in there but I've heard they have a "no guns sign" somewhere, BUT, I always enter through the Sears store and they have no sign at that entrance and I never go out of my way to look for one, either. They have mall security, if that's what they want to call it (security is not armed), comlpetely useless!

Tuscarawas

Thanks for the mall info.I have not ventured that far yet.It's good see others that exercise there rights.

MyWifeSaidYes

...Can tell you that Advance Auto is Not oc friendly.They won't call le,but they will tell you there police requires them to ask you to leave...

What?

The Advance Auto stores in central and southern Ohio do not have "No Guns" signs posted and have never been bothered by my open carry. My cars are crap, so I'm in those stores frequently. Does your store have a sign posted?

The police require them to...

Bulls###. The police DO NOT make policy. Either the store manager is creating his own policy or the police are overstepping their authority.

Send me the address of the store and I will be happy to check with their headquarters on what their official policy is, unless you would like to make that call.

3FULLMAGS+1

Tusc.

In Rereading your post, not sure how their telling you you can,t carry ? Are they(the manager?) verbally telling you you can't, if so, then they should have a sign so we who carry openly(or concealed for that matter) know that we (and our money, I might also add) are NOT welcome!!!
MyWifeSaidYes might be right in that the manager might be "creating his own policies" , thats why you need to go to the owner of the store. Owner might not like the manager turning their customers away! Then again the owner might be anti-gun too!, but if you don't make that call MWSY said you should, you'll have to abide by what the manager or any other employe says untill that employe is set strait about company policy(IF their wrong).
I always go to the top, always being firm but being polite in the process, they may reconsider their anti-gun stand! And that's what we alltimately want.:banana:
If my guns are not welcome then I'm not either, I always say!!!

Tuscarawas

Incorrect

My speeling isn't always the best.Where it said (there police require them to ask you to leave.)Should have been there policy requires them to ask you to leave.Apologize.

MyWifeSaidYes

Well, I'm glad I haven't called yet. I prefer to have the full and complete story so I don't make myself look foolish.

Can you tell us more about your event at Advance Auto? Were you just shopping? What propted them to ask you to leave?

Tuscarawas

Yes was shopping.An employee I know there was discussing concealer carry.Hence the open carry conversation was started by me.I know this goes against the grain,but it is done.No one was oc or cc.Just some people (with no political agendas)having normal everyday conversations.

MyWifeSaidYes

If you want to get some experience with 2nd Amendment activism, here is how I recommend you proceed.

Find the phone number for the corporate offices of Advance Auto. Ask to speak to someone about their firearms policies in their Ohio stores.

Let that person know that Ohio is an open carry state, and that you prefer to open carry in a hip holster. Then let that person know that you overheard a conversation where a manager said that they don't allow open carry in their store. Then simply ask them to tell you what the actual policy is.

If they confirm the 'no open carry' policy, or state that they have a 'no guns' policy, ask them why they don't have signs posted so their employees don't have to harass law-abiding citizens.

If they say they follow state law, ask them why the store manager will ask OC'er to leave. They will probably tell you that they will update that manager. Ask when. The day after that date, go to the store OC'ing.

See where things go from there.

Tuscarawas

Just got off the phone with Advance Auto.Talked to Cynthia at corporate,Was explained they go by sate law,unless the manager does not want firearms in the store.They have the right to set a no gun policy.

MyWifeSaidYes

Just got off the phone with Advance Auto.Talked to Cynthia at corporate,Was explained they go by sate law,unless the manager does not want firearms in the store.They have the right to set a no gun policy.

So really, they IGNORE state law at the store manager's whim. It's really the store policy overriding the company policy.

Walmart goes by state law and doesn't let a manager ask someone to leave UNLESS a complaint is received from another customer.

Tell Advanced Auto they should try that.

Last edited: