• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walther PK .380

Superlite27

Complete Crap.

The only good things about this pistol are it shoots nice and feels good in your hand.

Everything else sux.

It's a double/single action, but it really doesn't have a decocker, you have to put the safety on and drop the hammer over a blocked firing pin by activating the safety which is nowhere near your thumb. So you really end up using your off hand to do anything with the safety. Therefore, if you carry with the safety on, you'll require two hands doing different things in order to fire it. One hand to point and shoot, the other to disengage the safety. Or you could just play it safe and carry it with the hammer resting on the firing pin without the safety on so you don't have to concentrate on multitasking if you need to draw and shoot really quickly.

In that case, you really shouldn't worry about carrying any extra mags. Even though you'll probably need several, (after all, it is a .380) you'll probably die of blood loss by the time you figure out the trick magazine release lever thingie in order to put in a fresh mag. Evidently, a push button is entirely too easy and makes changing mags too simple and effortless. In order to avoid the problem of quick mag changes, Walther has developed the half trigger guard flippy down thingie to mix it up a little and keep things interesting.

If, by a stroke of luck, you do survive a shoot-out, you aren't out of danger yet: Upon cleaning it, you'll most likely be killed trying to reassemble the recoil spring.

The only reason I would ever purchase one of these P.O.S.'s would be if I won the lottery. I would buy a bunch to use as targets and shoot at them with all my other firearms.

mobiushky

The above, and also be aware that despite the claims of Walther, this is almost 100% made in the Umarex factories not the Walther factories. Yes, Umarex owns Walther, but Walther's house built arms are much better quality. Umarex makes airsoft and BB gun copies. Since the P22 and PK380 were lower end of the power scale, they likely thought they could handle them and simply stamp Walther on them. P22 and PK380 have been plagued with quality issues (not every single one, but enough to be worried) since day one. Most commonly the P22 slide will fracture because it's a cast part rather than milled. I've read similar issues with the PK380.

To be honest, unless they've fixed the manufacturing on them I'd avoid them. (Not Walther, just the P22 and the PK380).

WalkingWolf

The above, and also be aware that despite the claims of Walther, this is almost 100% made in the Umarex factories not the Walther factories. Yes, Umarex owns Walther, but Walther's house built arms are much better quality. Umarex makes airsoft and BB gun copies. Since the P22 and PK380 were lower end of the power scale, they likely thought they could handle them and simply stamp Walther on them. P22 and PK380 have been plagued with quality issues (not every single one, but enough to be worried) since day one. Most commonly the P22 slide will fracture because it's a cast part rather than milled. I've read similar issues with the PK380.

To be honest, unless they've fixed the manufacturing on them I'd avoid them. (Not Walther, just the P22 and the PK380).

They are not lower end on price though. These two guns get terrible reviews, and they are expensive. The OP would be much better of with a keltec, or one of the keltec clones for pocket carry. Or HP CF380 for belt carry. I believe the Keltec pocket and larger versions are around 250 online, Rugers around 350 online. HP CF380 we paid 145 for online, shipping was included. The HP is a fantastic shooter, at one third the price of PK380. Rugers seem to have no backorder and are plenty of them out there, Ruger also has a good warranty, if OP is going to spend 350~get a Ruger.

mobiushky

Ruger LCP is not a bad choice if you want to stick with .380. I personally don't like the grips on the LCP or the LC9, but that shouldn't matter to someone else. The LCP also has very small sights that might be hard to pick out in low light or stressed fast action. It's only ~$380, but it might actually be worth the $ to get the laser equipped version due to the sights.

A friend of mine just did a review on truthaboutguns on the Walther PPS. Price is getting up there though: $550. So maybe that's out of the OP's range. If you like Walther (the non-Umarex versions) this might work also:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/06/daniel-zimmerman/fns-9-contest-entry-walther-pps-review/

And there's always the Sig P238.

WalkingWolf

The PK380 is larger than the LCP, probably more along the lines of the LC380. I don't own either of them but Ruger would be better than the PK380. If he is not looking to conceal the HP C9 would be the way to go, great sights, 9mm punch, and low cost. We have a CF380 which is the same size, but we have other options for carry. For now it is just a range gun for the wife, we may get a C9 later. For a little more though he could have a Keltec 9mm.

Tuscarawas

Thanks for the input.Gonna shot one this weekend to see what we(fiance)think.Will let you guys know how it went.Carry On

WCEarp

Down sides to the PK380 that need to be added are that it can be ammo sensitive and it doesn't have a slide stop. Albeit, not having the slide stop is like the mag release, some some people hate it and to some it isn't a deal breaker.

If you really like the feel of the PK380 and the way it shoots I would suggest the P99c or its full size brother the P99 AS. The grip and feel are nearly identical, you get a larger capacity, 9mm, and it is reliable. The only downside is the decocker is a button on stop of the slide. If you aren't copecetic with the decocker look at the Walther PPQ.

If you let us know why you are looking at the PK380 we might be able to give better suggestions. If you want it for a range gun or you just want one, I say go for it. With the right ammo they are a blast to shoot just like their little brother the P22. For self defense there are much better products out there. I think the consensus is that you run a good chance of not liking it in the long haul.

Tuscarawas

Looking for something for the fiance.She really liked her P22 and I wanted her to go a little bit bigger.This was a compromise.She has really small hands,reason for the P22.The 380 is not a huge round,any chunk of metal entering you body is gonna suck.Have to work with what you got.Not looking for a fire fight,this is for defensive purposes only.

WalkingWolf

Looking for something for the fiance.She really liked her P22 and I wanted her to go a little bit bigger.This was a compromise.She has really small hands,reason for the P22.The 380 is not a huge round,any chunk of metal entering you body is gonna suck.Have to work with what you got.Not looking for a fire fight,this is for defensive purposes only.

IMO the most bang for the buck for her would be a Keltec or Ruger. Too many bad reviews on the overly expensive Walther PK380. Both Keltec and Rugers work out of the box. Since she has small hands stay away from the Hi Point, even though they are good guns.

She must have got lucky with her P22, most people hate them, and they need smith work to be functional. S&W reps claim the gun is built around the stinger cartridge, but that is expensive ammo compared to bricks. A firearm that is that expensive should work with whatever is fed through it. Without having to go to a gunsmith first.

Is she planning on concealed carry, open carry, or just target shooting and home defense?

Last edited:

Tuscarawas

She CC and has started OC.The P22 has worked with no problems.Have not decided on wich one to get yet.Will give the keltec and the ruger a look also.Thanks for the input we found it to be helpful

Tuscarawas

Walther PK 380

After a lot looking and other input,we did get the Walther PK 380.Put over 120 rounds through it. It ran like a champ.Fiance was good with the slightly bigger size and the lack of recoil.4 different people shot it and no problems.

For the mag release she was used to the P22 so this is not an issue for her.I don't find it to be bothersome either.

Watched some videos and got a piece of dowel rod for the spring,solved that problem.

Over all the gun worked flawless.The lack of recoil put you back on target immediately.Don't know if we got lucky and got a good one.Will say the one we got does what it is supposed to do the way it is supposed to do it.

1245A Defender

Huh?

What is this, problem, with a new gun, that works great, that needs to be solved, with a dowel rod for the spring?

quote;;; Watched some videos and got a piece of dowel rod for the spring,solved that problem. quote

Tuscarawas

My Walther is after those numbers with the safety issue.Will check the old fashioned way.Put a round in it,point in a safe direction and try to fire with the safety on.That way I know for sure.

The spring and dowel rod problem is not a problem.If you are not familiar with this hand gun then you don't know that the spring is pretty long. Simply put the dowel through the front of the slide,slide it into the spring.put the slide onto the lower receiver and put it back together.The dowel keeps the spring straight and it goes right back together.Thanks for the question hope this helped.

Happy Home

Purchase a PK380 also

My daughter, 18, may NOT obtain a CHP, but she MAY OC in Virginia. I love it. She used the gun in a recent tactical shooting class outside Purceville, hosted by a forum member. The class was good, and she never had a mis-fire, and hit all her targets.

While much more practice is needed for her to be truly comfortable, she changed magazines frequently (double mag pouch on left hip), but made her shots count.

As for reassembling the gun after cleaning, it's very straight-forward to maintain the spring compression with the edge of a table or anything else with a hard edge.

amydan77

Ecstatic with mine

After a lot looking and other input,we did get the Walther PK 380.Put over 120 rounds through it. It ran like a champ.Fiance was good with the slightly bigger size and the lack of recoil.4 different people shot it and no problems.

For the mag release she was used to the P22 so this is not an issue for her.I don't find it to be bothersome either.

Watched some videos and got a piece of dowel rod for the spring,solved that problem.

Over all the gun worked flawless.The lack of recoil put you back on target immediately.Don't know if we got lucky and got a good one.Will say the one we got does what it is supposed to do the way it is supposed to do it.

I must say, you took the words right out of my mouth! My pk.380 is the first handgun I've picked out myself & purchased. I absolutely LOVE IT!!! I can't imagine having gone with anything else. I've shot guns, just never owned one & this is by far my favorite next to the glock 39. Some of the complaints seem a bit nitpickish to me, however I'm not per say an enthusiast but I'm becoming one. My hubby bought the Ruger LCP the same day & it too is quite the gem! :lol:

WalkingWolf

I must say, you took the words right out of my mouth! My pk.380 is the first handgun I've picked out myself & purchased. I absolutely LOVE IT!!! I can't imagine having gone with anything else. I've shot guns, just never owned one & this is by far my favorite next to the glock 39. Some of the complaints seem a bit nitpickish to me, however I'm not per say an enthusiast but I'm becoming one. My hubby bought the Ruger LCP the same day & it too is quite the gem! :lol:

Over the years the reviews for the PK have gotten very good, it seems Walther listens. From what I have read I have changed my opinion on them, and would easily recommend the latter generations.