• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal age for open carry in Mississippi?

MSRebel54

I have a friend who's 20 year old son is asking me about this.

Here is the relevant code:

SEC. 97-37-15. Parent or guardian not to permit minor son to have or carry weapon; penalty.

Any parent, guardian or custodian who shall knowingly suffer or permit any child under the age of eighteen (18) years to have or to own, or to carry concealed, in whole or in part, any weapon the carrying of which concealed is prohibited, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and, on conviction,shall be fined not more than One Thousand Dollars ($1,000.00), and shall be imprisoned not more than six (6) months in the county jail. The provisions of this section shall not apply to a minor who is exempt from the provisions of Section 97-37-14.

georg jetson

MSRebel54 has been very kind to do some research for you. However, I must interject that this is only a start. Find the online statutes for MS. and search for yourself. OCing is not a simple matter. It requires an awareness of the law most people never consider.

Last edited:

Chap

Here is a good place to start your research. http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Click on the state you wish to review. ( MS ) here is the direct link. http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/mississippi.pdf

Notice the links on the right side. State Statutes. http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/mscode/

Also notice in the main body of the page there are cites ( blue hyper links ) which tell you where to look things up. These will get you in the area dealing with Concealed carry info for MS.

What I like about this website is that it has " Updates to this page" at very bottom or end. There you can see that the info is kept current and is new like -

7/1/13 – Kansas Now Honors Mississippi. Do Gun Signs Have the Force of Law Section Updated. Cost Updated.

Notice aboiut Injunction on Open Carry Law taking effect added to Open Carry Section.

Hope this helps you and others trying to better understand the MS firearm rules. ( OC & CC )

Chap

DownwardDawg

Thank you all for the replies. I talked to his father today and told him to make some phone calls. I will forward this info on to him.

MSRebel54

MSRebel54 has been very kind to do some research for you. However, I must interject that this is only a start. Find the online statutes for MS. and search for yourself. OCing is not a simple matter. It requires an awareness of the law most people never consider.

Yes, of course I agree 100%. It is always best to do your own research especially when it comes to your freedom. I would not rely on what anyone else says without confirming it myself.

There are other relevant statutes as well, but my point (that I did not make) was that whenever age is mentioned, 18 seems to be the number. (not counting CCW, but the OP didn't ask that). My reference would at least give him something or somewhere to start.