• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question for fellow NC residents (shooting on private property)

Jamesm760

Any rules I should know about, before making a range in my backyard? I know I have to be outside of city limits if i'm not mistaken and noise ordinance, but is there anything else I need to know? (minimum land size? certain feet away from street, buildings,) Property is in Rowan County.

Also if the answer for this is, "yes you can shoot as much as you want"

Should I do anything before I start rippin up some targets? inform neighbors, LEA, etc. just to be nice? Some thoughts and opinions will be welcomed!

davidmcbeth

Banned
If you can ... I would not be "nice" and inform the neighbors or police. You would be almost guaranteed to have issues.

Skinnedknuckles

I suspect it depends on the county and the neighbors. My brother in law has land near Tarboro. We visited the Sheriff's office and asked whether they wanted/needed to know if we were going to be shooting on the property. He first looked at us like the Yankees we were and smiled to himself, then said if we planned to have a bunch of people shooting a lot and well into the evening then they would appreciate a heads up, but it was his property and he could shoot all he wanted (with the assumption we had a safe shooting lane).

papa bear

first, never, never ever ask a LEO, about the law you will get a wrong answer in a opinion.

most counties have their ordinances on the web. do your research, you maybe can take the magitets word for it but always get cite with the actual ordnance. remember things in law are prohibited. if it is not in the law you are good to go.

also most places just ask you to be safe in your shooting. make sure of your down range. bullets can travel a long ways