• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

We need to get this

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
http://www.capitol.tn.gov/joint/staff/legal/repealer.html#

The OLS Repealer accepts submissions from Tennessee citizens and entities for review of Tennessee state laws and rules believed to be anachronistic, obsolete, defective, duplicative, contradictory, unnecessary or incomprehensible. The OLS Repealer will review and evaluate such suggestions. Upon completion of review, the OLS Repealer may make recommendations in its annual report for the repeal, modification or revision of such laws and rules.

OK, so the Repealer (what? one guy and a part-time secretary? needs to use the copying machine down the hall?) only get to reccomend that certain laws get repealed. It's a start.

It might be the only government agency that actually gets smaller every year. Certainly by Year 5 it ought to be a job someone could handle by coming into the office one day a month and borrowing the corner of somebody's desk.

I'll volunteer to do the job (no pay, no benefits, no mileage/per diem.

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Sounds like that this would mostly concern laws from like the 1700's .... which one(s) are you interested in following through with in respect to this activity?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Sounds like that this would mostly concern laws from like the 1700's .... which one(s) are you interested in following through with in respect to this activity?

How about we start with "brandishing"? It relies on the subjective emotions of the alleged victim, as opposed to the objective standards of assault.

The whole concealed carry only with a permit thing probably ought to be eliminated, making "constitutional Carry" a default condition as opposed to a statutory beast.

The law on when public schools may start (the King's Dominion law) is currently riddled with exceptions. Why school districts on the Eastern Shore, in the Shennadoah Valley, or in coal country must have their hands tied so that a few amusement parks can keep cheap summer employees through Labor Day has never been adequately explained.

The regulation of use of purple flashing/rotating light to designate a funeral procession has always escaped me. When was the last time someone slapped a set of lights on and got a bunch of their friends to drive really slowly just for the heck of it?

Do not get me started on allowing "off duty" police officers employed as private security officers to retain full police powers.

Then there is the law that allows public colleges/universities to establish regulations in the Virginia Administratice Code without going through a public hearing process.

Why are there laws regulating the employment of temporary workers in state agencies, as opposed to regulations in the Administrative Code?

On the other hand, why are there laws requiring the licensing of domestic dogs but not of domestic cats?

Seriously, putting together a list depends on what day it is and what generally has my attention at the moment. However, I'm sure I could put together a group and go through the Code of Virginia section by section, coming up with the first draft of a definitive list in less than a week.

stay safe.