• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Florida’s state attorney and the prosecutor against Zimmerman, has been indicted

sudden valley gunner

Read the whole ruling, folks. The part cited begins at "A," but continues for great length thereafter, not saying a thing like what the posters here would have you think. Basically, the ruling is saying that the courts do not control grand juries. But they do call them, swear them in, set them in motion, use the court's subpoena power that the jury does not have, and generally lets them be to do what they will for however long they will.

Once started, the grand jury is an entity in its own and is only under the prosecutor's control to the extent that the jury allows it--usually ceding complete control to the prosecutor (probably because they don't know any better).

Nowhere in the ruling is even the implication that folks can just up an call a grand jury and it have any more significance than those of us here getting together and stating that the prosecutor ought to be indicted.

Certain posters? Quote me and discuss if it is me you are referring to, I have no problem with discussing a difference in opinion.

I posted this simply to show that a grand jury is not supposed to be connected to governments three branches. Even though now they are pretty much a rubber stamp for the prosecutors wishes.

Also I was thinking about how for the overwhelming majority of our legal system, around a thousand years of it prosecutors are not the ones who brought the charges against you.....so if two individuals had a problem one thought it raised to the level of criminality how did he bring that charge against you? Something interesting to ponder. If as the opinion states it is a distinct separate entity, how could it be appointed by one of the branches of government yet retain a distinct seperat"ness" especially since it is a function of ancient common law not a specifically spelled out constitutional function.

eye95

"Certain posters?"??? Where the hell did that come from? I mentioned "posters." No adjective. You ain't the only "poster." Get over yourself.

My post stands on its own.

Folks, read the actual ruling. Make up your own mind what it says.

Moving on.

countryclubjoe

I am not going to get into the legitimacy of a citizens grand jury. But will point out the power of the people to petition a illegal bureaucrat can be exhilarating.

Mike Nifong! GZ persecution is very similar to the Duke Lacrosse case.

Nifong Angela Corey!

runaway grand jury. (1959) A grand jury that acts essentially in opposition to the prosecution, as by calling its own witnesses,perversely failing to return an indictment that prosecution has requested,or returning an indictment that the prosecution did not request. (Blacks Law Dictionary)

In regard to soon to be ex-prosecutor Corey. Prominent Law professor and constitutional attorney Alan M. Dershowitz referred to Corey's actions as the most despicable of any prosecutor in the country's history.

It would also appear that AG Holder will soon join the ranks of Nifong and Corey as over zealous power mongers that have no regard for liberty or justice.

My .02
regards,

CCJ

FreeInAZ

1) has no legal weight - this was a group of citizens making up something that sounded official

2) trim your fair use quote so you're not infringing on copyright (rule 11)

3) this has what to do with open carry?

While your points are valid, was such a snippy response needed?

Last edited:

countryclubjoe

On grand jury's.

Any prosecutor worth his weight in salt could get a turkey sandwich indicted by a grand jury.

CCJ

countryclubjoe

A ham sandwich. Turkey sandwiches are much harder to indict.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

LOL

Speaking of Turkeys, I foresee the not so honorable Ms.Corey being indicted in the near future.

Best regards,

CCJ

FreeInAZ

While your points are valid, was such a snippy response needed? Maybe you should ************** **************** ************************ ******************* *********************

See how that works? Not nice is it? Carry on...:uhoh:

@Eye - You are correct I did so to drive home a point (wrongly). I should have said: hey MKEgal thanks for taking on the role of forum admin. In doing so could you please try to communicate with others the way you would like others to communicate with you or loved family members? If this forum is to grow and hopefully it continues to, we should be unerstanding of those who may not know all the rules just yet. Personally I would have sent that person a PM before a public post was made. I appologize to Krysta for being snippy. I have supported her in the past and hope she is well in all she does.

eye95

I don't see what she did as acting as a forum admin.

She addressed the lack of logic in the post, and used logic to render it meaningless, as well it should have been

Admins don't police the logic (or lack thereof) in a post. MKEgal did.

Admins police inappropriate content. MKE gal did not. There wasn't any inappropriate content to police. MKEgal simply responded to the content of the post with content of her own. Excellent content, IMO!

sudden valley gunner

"Certain posters?"??? Where the hell did that come from? I mentioned "posters." No adjective. You ain't the only "poster." Get over yourself.

My post stands on its own.

Folks, read the actual ruling. Make up your own mind what it says.

Moving on.

My bad for the use certain, I mixed that up with another post I apologize. Without the adjective my reply is the same. Seems your are taking my disagreements with you personally lately, maybe you need to follow your own advice.;)

Even so "posters", please address the poster, and it's not about getting over myself, since I posted a ruling I am thinking you may have been referring to that post and me who posted it. So your remark that I need to get over myself because I thought you were referring to my post is silly when it appears you absolutely were, it would be nice if you address the poster directly if you have a problem with their post.

And yes read the whole post the ruling was snipped not for nefarious reason but to address a point I got out of it. If there was a different point in the ruling (did you read the whole ruling, it is quite long and your reply to my post was fairly quick) feel free to post it.

So I spent the afternoon yesterday because that ruling got me thinking about Grand Juries and left me with too many questions, such as if they are independent how were they to be formed etc. It is actually quite interesting there is no universal standard, some state that anyone can form one, in Oklahoma anyone can petition to form one to this day.

A 1906 book The Grand Jury By George J Edward seems to be the best source for the history and development of the Grand Jury under our common law, from being at first the agents of the state that reported crimes to the King to being one used by civilians to protect themselves from government. At the time of the founding of the U.S. the grand jury's job was to be a buffer between government and citizen. Their very job would be to do exactly as the proposed grand jury in Florida would be, to investigate whether the prosecutors office had committed any crimes.

There were no state/municipality prosecutors positions then most crimes were done by private prosecution. It appears that British subjects and the colonists often did form their own grand juries, that part is still vague to me. George does point out how some states elected two officials that had the duty of forming grand juries out of those in "good standing" these officials were independent of the courts or government and the requirement was often they be of opposing parties. private citizens could then petition that a grand jury be formed to investigate whether or not the complainant had a valid complaint of a crime. Their meeting were to be secret, they had the power to independently investigate matters ( a prosecutor presence would be considered immoral and a taint, which I think is a good reason not to have them involved either), and the power to subpoena

For most of the history of grand juries prosecutors or defending lawyers were absolutely not to be part of the grand jury, this is a modern statist problem with them. That seems to coincide in the era of FDR's messing of the legal system in modeling it after NAZI Germany's Gliechshaltung in the name of making it efficient. It's no wonder that modern day grand jury's are a travesty to justice. And it seems that yet again judges have been complicit in ruining the common law system that had developed as a protection against the state, many rulings after the '40's unsurprisingly rule in favor of the new streamlined Gliechshaltung system over the common law system developed over centuries.

There is still plenty more to learn on this topic and it intrigues me, because it again puts a huge check on government into the hands of civilians and their powers as jurors, both in a petit jury in being able to nullify bad laws, but a grand jury and its traditional power of being able to indict and punish officials and make them pay for their bad actions, which would be more of a hindrance than the allowed "civil suit". I think we should have a revival of the more traditional form of grand jury.

Last edited:

eye95

I have moved on from discussing the ruling, so I am not going to bother to discuss it any more. I will simply repeat:

Folks, read it for yourself. The part being discussed begins at "A".

You decide if the ruling in any way, shape, or form says that folks can up and call a grand jury and it have one iota of significance.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=us&vol=504&invol=36

sudden valley gunner

I have moved on from discussing the ruling, so I am not going to bother to discuss it any more. I will simply repeat:

Folks, read it for yourself. The part being discussed begins at "A".

You decide if the ruling in any way, shape, or form says that folks can up and call a grand jury and it have one iota of significance.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=us&vol=504&invol=36

That wasn't my point, my point was it is to be independent, and the questions it raised for me, I will assume this was an honest mistake on your part and not a purposeful misrepresentation.

Last edited:

eye95

And my only point was to refute the integrated idea in this thread that folks can up and call a grand jury as some posters in this thread have used that ruling to say.

The ruling does not say what I am saying it does not say. That is all.

sudden valley gunner

Without delving into citations -

Historically the courts have "played host" to grand juries, by such means as setting terms for them to meet, and providing places for them to meet. Prosecutors have convened "special grand juries" when a) the "regular" grand jury was not in term, or b) when they wanted to showcase an investigation. However, in both cases the prosecutor can only select grand jurors from the same pool of candidates as for the petit jury (the "12 good men and true" who decide guily/not guilt in criminal cases). The courts also supply support services by serving subpeonas, siezing folks who ignore a supeona, and otherwise making sure thast the folks can accomplish their job.

My edjumicated guess is that any citizen's grand jury would have to be composed of members of the jury pool (no felons, traitors, or (in some jurisdictions only) non-citizens).

While a "citizen's grand jury" may or may not be different from a "grand jury" grand jury, without the cooperation and collusiuon of the jusicial and executive branches they seem destined to have a hard time functioning. And since it appears this citizen's grand jury indicted without giving the acccused an opportunity to defend themselves they come off as more of a Star Chamber than a grand jury. (The existence and operation of Star Chambers PO'd the English enough to use the Magna Carta to do away with them, and the colonists also complained about their use to the point of specifically mentioning them as one of the several abuses the crown inflicted on them.)

stay safe.

There is great points in here Skid, most if goes along with what I am learning, it actually is really hard to find how some of the grand juries were formed it seems that some where "citizen grand juries" and that they had the full power of the court as you pointed out grand juries have. It appears that some were abusing the power to from a grand jury and that is why some say it faded away to having more oversight like (Pennsylvania's election of two officials). There just isn't much documentation to support the formation of citizen grand juries but appears they at one time could be formed. I think having independent elected officials who's sole job was to be fully separate from prosecution, defense, and opinion of a judge, but to pull from the same jury pool a group to form grand juries is a great way to do that.

I come across some sites that use the same ruling I read as an excuse to form a random grand jury, but I am with Eye on that the ruling doesn't say that. I find it all very intriguing.

sudden valley gunner

And my only point was to refute the integrated idea in this thread that folks can up and call a grand jury as some posters in this thread have used that ruling to say.

The ruling does not say what I am saying it does not say. That is all.

Good we are on the same page as that.

I am just exploring the aspect that citizens can form grand juries.

OC for ME

If a grand jury could indict a ham sammich then a citizen's grand jury should have indicted the ham sammich that killed Mama Cass because a grand jury was not convened. Though, it is likely the prosecutor could not find the alleged killer.....because it was consumed during the altercation.

sudden valley gunner

If a grand jury could indict a ham sammich then a citizen's grand jury should have indicted the ham sammich that killed Mama Cass because a grand jury was not convened. Though, it is likely the prosecutor could not find the alleged killer.....because it was consumed during the altercation.

If they could try and convict the Ham sandwich, we'd have posts about ham sandwich hypocrisy and fears of ham sandwich riots.

OC for ME

Good point. I would not like to be accused of inciting the ham sammich crowd to victimize the turkey club crowd. No telling what the roast beef crowd or the pastrami folks would do.