• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mutlimillion $$ vedict - cop shoots guy with garden hose -

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/police-shoot-kill-man-holding-garden-hose-family-receives-6-5m/

Three years ago in Belmont Shores, California police shot and killed Doug Zerby for holding a garden hose that police mistook for a gun. Officers unloaded on Zerby who was visiting his friend after a neighbor who didn’t recognize him called the authorities thinking he was a stranger. Cops didn’t wait to see if the “gun” he was reported holding was real. They issued no warnings before they shotgunned him to death upon arrival at the scene.

Maybe he was washing his dog....

Ca Patriot

There are reports that the man was seen looking at other houses.

He deserved to be shot and killed.

BrianB

Maybe he was washing his dog.
Or they thought he was a dog. You can't be too safe about dogs and garden hoses - their uniforms could have gotten wet.

On a more serious note, I wonder if an independent examination of the body would confirm the police assertion that he pointed the hose at them two handed like a pistol. Even if he did, that may have been a perfectly reasonable response depending on how their initial contact with him went (if they surprised him and he didn't know they were LE).

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Or they thought he was a dog. You can't be too safe about dogs and garden hoses - their uniforms could have gotten wet.

On a more serious note, I wonder if an independent examination of the body would confirm the police assertion that he pointed the hose at them two handed like a pistol. Even if he did, that may have been a perfectly reasonable response depending on how their initial contact with him went (if they surprised him and he didn't know they were LE).

I think an independent exam was done .. by the jury. Right?

Halt! I am made of pure sodium ... ahhhh water!!!!!

Ca Patriot

Article says: Officers unloaded on Zerby who was visiting his friend

Any other info is welcome ... but the jury did give a sizable award here soooooo

I was making a bad joke. I thought Eye and Lazywolf would come along and blame the innocent victim.

SPOProds

I was making a bad joke. I thought Eye and Lazywolf would come along and blame the innocent victim.

Dont worry I laughed. Even though I thoroughly disagree with your comments re the other topic.

Sent from the back of a black van

countryclubjoe

I see no mention regarding the results of the civil suit.

Did I miss something?

Best regards.

CCJ

77zach

I assume the [...] union will make sure the shooters' jobs are secure? Luxurious pension intact? Are they still on paid vacation? You don't know how stressful serving this man with the garden hose was. They might have ptsd or something.

COMMENTS EDITED BY ADMINISTRATOR: LEO Bashing

Last edited by a moderator: