• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newcomerstown Teacher's Armed

Tuscarawas

Newcomerstown News had an article about arming some of there teachers.Has anyone heard about this.There was not very much to the storie.The couple of people that I work with from that area are not sure what the think about this.The one individual is dead set against it.Any info,opinions,or comments on this.This is a game changer.

Tuscarawas

Thanks for the read,so it is not just Newcomerstown.There will be other school being put into this program?Opinions,pro's and con's.I'm not sure what I think about this it is a dual edged sword.We definitely need to protect our children Goal Number 1.One child saved, one bad guy no longer here,it is a good day.Hope we do not leave the wolf in with the sheep,and lock the door behind them.I worry about my children every day and i do not trust very many people around them.That is why I am undecided about this.Ihope the teachers have to take some sort of a psych evaluation before this happens.

MyWifeSaidYes

Sorry, Tusc. I'm with gutshot on this.

You send your kids to school for almost 16,000 hours of their life, to absorb whatever those teachers want to put into their heads.

Yes. It is possible that a teacher may snap...

But what is stopping that teacher from bringing a gun to school NOW?

Training and arming OTHER teachers gives them a tool to more quickly stop an active shooter, even if that shooter is a teacher, or principal, or secretary, or cook, or janitor, or student, or parent, or just some stranger off the street.

Tuscarawas

Like I said then I was not sure,have had several conversations with others about this.Taking it all in.You make a good point.Yes I do believe someone should be in the school to protect the children.As far as trusting all teachers maybe you do not watch the same news as I do.There are child molesters walking those halls.There are sociopaths crawling around these kids.Do I agree most teachers are good,yes I do.Do I agree an armed,sane teacher is a good defense,again I do.As far as the armed teacher goes I just wanted to listen to several sides of this.I'm glad for your input,was hoping for more views.Not saying yours is in any way wrong.

Brian D.

I do like the fact that the press blurbs from the school district about this are somewhat vague as to exactly who might be carrying, they did not specifically state it was teachers only. That is info that would-be assailants do not need to have at hand.

Tuscarawas

Gutshot are you always domineering.Can anyone on here try to work through things that do not sit in to your perspective?The bold print and the words you use are very controlling completely against the open thought posses that I thought went on here.If you want to state laws and facts join In and I will enjoy it.Your loudness and harsh word do not contribute to any thing but your own agenda.I'll make my decisions based on info. Not on bullying.

half_life1052

a question of trust

Gutshot are you always domineering.Can anyone on here try to work through things that do not sit in to your perspective?The bold print and the words you use are very controlling completely against the open thought posses that I thought went on here.If you want to state laws and facts join In and I will enjoy it.Your loudness and harsh word do not contribute to any thing but your own agenda.I'll make my decisions based on info. Not on bullying.

To me it is antithetical to not trust someone that I entrust my children to. No qualifications, no caveats just yes or no. Adding the gun does not change the equation for me.

To me this is the best solution for a difficult problem. We need to reduce the gun-free AKA safe-for-mass-shooting zones. Having 40-50 guns on campus at any given time gives the would be mass shooter something to think about.

What exactly is your reasoning for being concerned over armed teachers again?

MyWifeSaidYes

Tusc-

A couple things.

1) You've been on this board for a week and a half and still haven't learned to put spaces and paragraph breaks into your posts. It helps others to take you seriously.

2) You may think gutshot is bullying, but that ain't bullying. I think he's simply trying to make a point. Your post about not trusting a school employee with a gun is, in MY opinion, a stupid one. I'm not as politically correct as gutshot.

THAT IS NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK, it is simply my feeling toward that attitude.

As I said earlier, if a teacher wanted to take a gun into a school, there is currently no way to stop them.

If that same teacher started shooting people, there would be no way to stop them.

Tuscarawas

Was just trying to get a collective opinion.And I got it.Be careful what you ask for. Agree that this has become the necessity due to social degrade.I believe that it takes a gun to stop a gun. Stupid is as stupid does.

eye95

That is something of the logical reason to allow teacher carry.

The real reason is that it is their right to carry to be able to defend themselves (and the children). We need to stop feeling the need to provide logical reasons to exercise the right. The reason needs to be simply: "It is my right to do so, and I wish to do so."

3FULLMAGS+1

Tusc:

I'd have to agree with the rest of the fellows here, don't think their tryin' to beat up on ya......let me throw my $.02 into this as I'm trying to get my school system to allow employes to carry also.
IF a shooter gets in what are the teachers able to do if their kept unarmed OR put YOURSELF in a teachers position or any other sch. employe for that matter, would YOU like to be disarmed in that kind of situation not to mention not being able to EFECTIVELY (EFECTIVELY being the KEY WORD here,) protect themselves OR THE KIDS!!!!!!!!! We can worry ourselves to death about all the possible things that COULD happen, just like the anti-gun crowd does. While we're on this subject, let's consider the anti-gun cry for a second, " THERE"LL BE BLOOD IN THE STREETS, BLOOD IN THE STREETS " EVERY SINGLE STINKIN" TIME there is a pro-gun law pasted. I along with everyone else here, sees the folly in that way of thinking! Where IS all that BLOOD IN THE STREETS, WHERE, where IS it?.......Hmmmmmmm.......because there ISN"T any (other than the bad guys blood, hopefully, if any)!!! My point is this.....if carrying in public works, it will work in our schools. Or to put it another way, If you don't trust the employes in our schools, then you couldn't , buy that logic, trust any of us who carry in public. Do you think the public, in general, as a whole, are safer because of those of us who choose to carry?......YOU BET IT IS (and you can bet your a** they'll NEVER admit to that fact). One question, Tusc......why do you carry? Why do the rest of us carry? THAT is the SAME reason school employes should be allowed to carry!!!!
Waiting for law enforcement to show up and save the day is "BS".......Sandyhook proved that, (with the body count they had, I wouldn't say THAT was saving the day, would you?
Just pointing out the common sense and logic here. Problem we have is that we have cowards, yes, COWARDS, deciding how we should protect our children and that's PATHETIC !!!!!!!!

Tuscarawas

I do not believe in waiting on the police either.My safety is my responsibility.I see all the points being made and I agree.

newell711

Arming teachers is a good thing. As the others have said we all go about our business armed and it's all good. I do think that the teachers should have

to have some training as like we all have. But, as far as not feeling safer that your kids are protected? I am a father of two, and very overprotective,

but I do feel arming school staff is a step in the right direction. And I am not trying to put you down I do see where you are coming from but, time and

time again it has been proven the good guys with guns make it safer.

1911>911

Last edited:

3FULLMAGS+1

Newell711:

YES, the "Good guys w/ guns make it safer, but trying to drive that point/fact home with some of these school boards is.....well.....like:banghead:

And they want to say their the "EDUCATED" ones!!!:lol:

By the way, off topic here, is that an XDs in 45 in your avitar? I carry one openly up here in ohio. Shoot well an are extremely light and reliable!

newell711

3 full mags

yes it is a .45 xds although i do not own that model yet, it is in my wish list lol. I carry a full size XD .45 open and conceal depending on my mood. I want to get the slim for cc purposes. I love my XD though. But you are absolutely right 110% about trying to drive the point home of good guys with guns.