• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The anti's have a new weapon

J1MB0B

Whats up with the app? I tried using it for the last couple of days to flag all the big scary guns i see running around shooting at innocent people. It seems that they may have caved to public demand and disabled it?

We-the-People

He's also apparently low on the IQ scale as he can't see the contradiction in his own words.

"Secondly, the App was a honeypot. As a gun owner myself, I am all too aware of a smaller component of the community that sees any attempt at improving gun safety as an affront to their second amendment rights. Reasonable regulations that do not interfere with anyone’s second amendment rights – such as universal background checks and trigger locks when guns are unattended in the presence of children – are needed to help abate the gun violence epidemic in this country. "

Seems rather stupid (stupid not ignorant) to say background checks won't interfere with ANYONE's second amendment rights when the entire reason to conduct a check is to deny certain people from exercising the right.

eye95

And I can tell you from personal experience that folks are denied their Right for no good reason due to the background checks.

A background check that is passed is a violation of the Right because it robs honest citizens of their time when they should be under no obligation to prove that they are worthy. That should be the assumption until the state proves otherwise.

A background check that is delayed, but that ultimately proceeds, also violates the Right. It, too, robs the person of his time, but also causes unnecessary anguish.

A background check that is unjustly denied (and I know of at least two) are gross violations of the Right.

All of those violations are not justified by the denial of sales to prohibited persons. The law already prohibits their possession. It should not be up to me to ensure that they are not breaking the law, thereby inconveniencing the hell out of all my other customers. It is the individual responsibility of the people to follow the law. They should be held responsible when they don't--after they don't. Systems that inconvenience all, including the law-abiding, should not be put in place to try to stop crime before it happens, to make breaking the law harder. They also have the unintended consequences of making the law harder to follow and of making accidentally breaking it easier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

davidmcbeth

Banned
There is no need for background checks ... people who cannot own know who they are 99.999% of the time. And those that don't usually have some trivial issue that stupid lawmakers think is a good enough reason to disallow them to own (but can freely walk amongst us). And the very small # of lunatics but most of them are democrats who don't want to own anyways.

And this is not even considering the argument concerning felons & guns...

kurt555gs

I don't think background checks have made any difference in gun crime. Those that are prohibited from legally getting guns just get them illegally. Background checks just lower the number of legal citizens the want to purchase a firearm.

Soylent Green is made out of people.

Logan 5

Hmmm. I must have missed how these anti-gunners get information on who has what kind of gun. Is a Hawken flintlock more threatening than an AK-47? Does the guy that lives on the other side of town have one or the other? How would the anti-gunners know?

It's already been said before, this reeks of conspiracy to commit, stalking and reckless endangerment.

Soylent Green is made out of people.
Cool! Can I have the recipe?

We-the-People

Here's an interesting thing (to me anyway) on background checks and buying handguns.

If you're under 21 you can't buy a handgun from an FFL where you would be required to undergo an (unconstitutional) background check. However, if you're in a state such as Oregon where private party transfers are legal, an 18 year old can buy a handgun privately.

Now isn't that the epitome of stupid? Why not change the law to allow those 18-20 year olds buy from an FFL (if they desire) and at least get some of them "backgrounded"? As it is, the law creates a situation where unchecked young people are getting handguns.

Lest you think I support background checks (at all), I don't. I'm just trying to point out the idiocy of the current laws.

eye95

Can anyone cite a gun law that is not idiotic?

Gun laws are designed to prevent crime, not to deal with its commission. The only preventive nature of a law should be its deterrence value. Laws that restrict what should otherwise be lawful to prevent the commission of some other act (one which should be a crime) serve only to hamstring the law-abiding. The criminal will not hesitate to break the prevention law on his way to committing a real crime.

<o>

sudden valley gunner

Can anyone cite a gun law that is not idiotic?

Gun laws are designed to prevent crime, not to deal with its commission. The only preventive nature of a law should be its deterrence value. Laws that restrict what should otherwise be lawful to prevent the commission of some other act (one which should be a crime) serve only to hamstring the law-abiding. The criminal will not hesitate to break the prevention law on his way to committing a real crime.

<o>

The 2A........;)

JustaShooter

Here's an interesting thing (to me anyway) on background checks and buying handguns.

If you're under 21 you can't buy a handgun from an FFL where you would be required to undergo an (unconstitutional) background check. However, if you're in a state such as Oregon where private party transfers are legal, an 18 year old can buy a handgun privately.

<edited to remove inapplicable federal statute dealing with minors>

It may be that state laws include premptions for those under 21, I'd be sure to check the laws of my state before doing so.

Last edited:

notalawyer

I think you'll find that federal law prohibts private transfers of handguns to minors. From another post here on OCDO:

An 18 year old is not a minor (juvenile). Perfectly legal is most states for an 18 year-old to purchase a handgun in a private sale.

JustaShooter

An 18 year old is not a minor (juvenile). Perfectly legal is most states for an 18 year-old to purchase a handgun in a private sale.

And of course you are correct - I missed that in the post I responded to (and have now edited the post to correct my oversight).

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
<edited to remove inapplicable federal statute dealing with minors>

It may be that state laws include premptions for those under 21, I'd be sure to check the laws of my state before doing so.

You have a LOT of reading and remembering in front of you. Enjoy it.

JustaShooter

You have a LOT of reading and remembering in front of you. Enjoy it.

I'm sure I have no idea what you mean - I wasn't suggesting that I would research the handgun laws of all 57 of these United States and how they apply to minors and report back... :rolleyes: