Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39

Thread: Coming to NC beginning of August and have some OC questions.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    MCB Quantico, Va
    Posts
    80

    Coming to NC beginning of August and have some OC questions.

    I am currently living in Virginia, OC state. I had lived in Jacksonville, NC for 4 years before moving here and OC'd frequently. I am having a wedding in glenville, NC but will be residing in Highlands, NC. I know that the cities can adopt local firearm laws. So i was wondering if i am allowed to OC in these 2 cities and the surrounding ones. Also if you do not know the information directly, could you tell me where to find it. I also have a Virginia Concealed which NC recognizes, but i would rather OC. I know that some cops in this area can be pretty shady when it comes to GATTTOTP, so i would like to know the local firearm ordinances beforehand. Any information is appreciated. Thank you.
    “The constitution shall never be construed… to prevent the people of the united states who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms”

    Alexander Hamilton

  2. #2
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,258
    there are a few grandfathered laws in NC. but most are from years past. there is a consistency to the laws today. OC is good to go in all cities. you still can't carry in places that serve and consume alcohol and parades and funerals and places that charge admission.

    know that you can be charged with anything. even running moonshine, but not likely. GATTTOTP has four conditions that have to be met, not as bad as brandishing in VA. arrest easy but conviction hard to do
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    MCB Quantico, Va
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    there are a few grandfathered laws in NC. but most are from years past. there is a consistency to the laws today. OC is good to go in all cities. you still can't carry in places that serve and consume alcohol and parades and funerals and places that charge admission.

    know that you can be charged with anything. even running moonshine, but not likely. GATTTOTP has four conditions that have to be met, not as bad as brandishing in VA. arrest easy but conviction hard to do
    ok thanks for the info, the reason i ask, is becuase i have heard that OC in Chapel Hill is ILLEGAL. also with the "serve adn consume alcohol" does that also go to convenience stores or such places liek walmart that sell alcohol.
    “The constitution shall never be construed… to prevent the people of the united states who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms”

    Alexander Hamilton

  4. #4
    Regular Member dmatting's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_shawn1990 View Post
    ok thanks for the info, the reason i ask, is becuase i have heard that OC in Chapel Hill is ILLEGAL. also with the "serve adn consume alcohol" does that also go to convenience stores or such places liek walmart that sell alcohol.
    OC in Chapel Hill is perfectly legal. You just have to have a pistol that has a minimum length and I can't remember what that is. I'm sure that if you routinely OC then you won't be OCing a mouse gun. Chapel Hill has UNC there - so the only thing you need to make sure about is that you don't carry onto the campus.

    "Serve AND Consume Alcohol" means just that. At C Stores and Walmart and grocery stores, etc, all you or anyone else can do there is purchase. Many ABC stores are carry friendly - just watch for signs on the doors as you would with any establishment that you are entering. If there is a gunbuster sign, it might as well be a cash buster sign to me.

    Go to the stickies here in the NC section and you can download a little pamphlet for OC in NC.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    MCB Quantico, Va
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by dmatting View Post
    OC in Chapel Hill is perfectly legal. You just have to have a pistol that has a minimum length and I can't remember what that is. I'm sure that if you routinely OC then you won't be OCing a mouse gun. Chapel Hill has UNC there - so the only thing you need to make sure about is that you don't carry onto the campus.

    "Serve AND Consume Alcohol" means just that. At C Stores and Walmart and grocery stores, etc, all you or anyone else can do there is purchase. Many ABC stores are carry friendly - just watch for signs on the doors as you would with any establishment that you are entering. If there is a gunbuster sign, it might as well be a cash buster sign to me.

    Go to the stickies here in the NC section and you can download a little pamphlet for OC in NC.
    Ok great info thanks. I dont plan on going to chapel hill, just citing a city with their own firearm law. I think it should be the same statewide
    “The constitution shall never be construed… to prevent the people of the united states who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms”

    Alexander Hamilton

  6. #6
    Regular Member carolina guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    1,790
    Quote Originally Posted by dmatting View Post
    OC in Chapel Hill is perfectly legal. You just have to have a pistol that has a minimum length and I can't remember what that is. I'm sure that if you routinely OC then you won't be OCing a mouse gun. Chapel Hill has UNC there - so the only thing you need to make sure about is that you don't carry onto the campus.

    "Serve AND Consume Alcohol" means just that. At C Stores and Walmart and grocery stores, etc, all you or anyone else can do there is purchase. Many ABC stores are carry friendly - just watch for signs on the doors as you would with any establishment that you are entering. If there is a gunbuster sign, it might as well be a cash buster sign to me.

    Go to the stickies here in the NC section and you can download a little pamphlet for OC in NC.
    IMO about all a store with a gunbuster can do if you are OC is ask you to leave. If you are CC and the sign was "conspicuous" -- then there is some trouble. To me, if I see a sign that is CLEARLY posted, that tells me to decide if I really care about their service or products, and usually, I do not.
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Greenville, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    12
    Congratulations on having a wedding, they are generally fun to attend and even better if you are participating and, yet still, even better if you are the Groom.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    MCB Quantico, Va
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina guy View Post
    IMO about all a store with a gunbuster can do if you are OC is ask you to leave. If you are CC and the sign was "conspicuous" -- then there is some trouble. To me, if I see a sign that is CLEARLY posted, that tells me to decide if I really care about their service or products, and usually, I do not.
    I do not care for any store that doesn't support our 2A rights. No matter how much i want it at the time. My wife disagrees, but thats when she goes in by herself.
    “The constitution shall never be construed… to prevent the people of the united states who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms”

    Alexander Hamilton

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    MCB Quantico, Va
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by eNomineZerum View Post
    Congratulations on having a wedding, they are generally fun to attend and even better if you are participating and, yet still, even better if you are the Groom.
    We are already married lol, we had a courthouse wedding though, so now we are having a real ceremony. The only reason i supported having a real ceremony is for free gifts and i can get smashed lol.
    “The constitution shall never be construed… to prevent the people of the united states who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms”

    Alexander Hamilton

  10. #10
    Regular Member Jamesm760's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Salisbury, NC
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_shawn1990 View Post
    I do not care for any store that doesn't support our 2A rights. No matter how much i want it at the time. My wife disagrees, but thats when she goes in by herself.
    Well then at least I hope your wife CC's when she goes in there by herself.
    SIC VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

    μολὼν λαβέ - molṑn labé - ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - COME AND TAKE!!!!

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    MCB Quantico, Va
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesm760 View Post
    Well then at least I hope your wife CC's when she goes in there by herself.
    My wife isnt comfortable carrying that much...yet. i usually wait outside in the car. when she does go out by herself, i'd like to say she brings her gun, but i dont know that she does it everytime lol.
    “The constitution shall never be construed… to prevent the people of the united states who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms”

    Alexander Hamilton

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    MCB Quantico, Va
    Posts
    80
    Hey guys, getting ready to head up to NC tomorrow, will be in the Garner area until Wednesday then heading to Highlands. Just making sure I've been reading yalls post correctly, I can open carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol as long as I have a concealed carry permit but am not allowed to drink, correct? I have one from Virginia.
    “The constitution shall never be construed… to prevent the people of the united states who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms”

    Alexander Hamilton

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    MCB Quantico, Va
    Posts
    80
    also, i will be going to the airport in Ashville on Wednesday to pick up some family members, what are my stipulations.
    “The constitution shall never be construed… to prevent the people of the united states who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms”

    Alexander Hamilton

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Johnson City, TN
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_shawn1990 View Post
    Hey guys, getting ready to head up to NC tomorrow, will be in the Garner area until Wednesday then heading to Highlands. Just making sure I've been reading yalls post correctly, I can open carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol as long as I have a concealed carry permit but am not allowed to drink, correct? I have one from Virginia.
    NO!!!! If you go to a restaurant in North Carolina that serves alcohol, you'll need to leave your gun in your car. The law on CCW holders carrying in places that serve alcohol (provided they don't drink) doesn't take effect until October 1. You'll need to wait about two months before you can legally do that.

    http://www.nraila.org/legislation/st...spx?s=&st=&ps=
    Last edited by Nascar24Glock; 08-04-2013 at 10:30 PM.
    "Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty."
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    MCB Quantico, Va
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Nascar24Glock View Post
    NO!!!! If you go to a restaurant in North Carolina that serves alcohol, you'll need to leave your gun in your car. The law on CCW holders carrying in places that serve alcohol (provided they don't drink) doesn't take effect until October 1. You'll need to wait about two months before you can legally do that.

    http://www.nraila.org/legislation/st...spx?s=&st=&ps=
    Ok thanks. Well that puts a damper of my vacation.
    “The constitution shall never be construed… to prevent the people of the united states who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms”

    Alexander Hamilton

  16. #16
    Regular Member XD40sc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_shawn1990 View Post
    Hey guys, getting ready to head up to NC tomorrow, will be in the Garner area until Wednesday then heading to Highlands. Just making sure I've been reading yalls post correctly, I can open carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol as long as I have a concealed carry permit but am not allowed to drink, correct? I have one from Virginia.
    As another poster informed you, not until 10/1/13, and the restaurant carry bill applies ONLY to CC.
    Legal summary of the restaurant carry section, by staff attorneys for the NC General Legislature.
    Section 3 authorizes a person with a concealed carry permit to carry a concealed handgun at assemblies
    where an admission fee is charged and any establishment that serves alcohol unless the person in control
    of the premises has posted a notice prohibiting carrying a concealed handgun on the premises.
    Nothing changed for those that choose to OC, with or without a CHP, whether it be restaurants, bars, theaters or on any campus.
    Last edited by XD40sc; 08-05-2013 at 11:10 PM.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Johnson City, TN
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by XD40sc View Post
    As another poster informed you, not until 10/1/13, and the restaurant carry bill applies ONLY to CC.
    Legal summary of the restaurant carry section, by staff attorneys for the NC General Legislature.

    Section 3 authorizes a person with a concealed carry permit to carry a concealed handgun at assemblies
    where an admission fee is charged and any establishment that serves alcohol unless the person in control
    of the premises has posted a notice prohibiting carrying a concealed handgun on the premises.
    Nothing changed for those that choose to OC, with or without a CHP, whether it be restaurants, bars, theaters or on any campus.
    That's just the bill summary. The actual text of the bill does not appear to say that.

    SECTION 3. G.S. 14-269.3(b) reads as rewritten:
    "(b) This section shall not apply to any of the following:
    (1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14-269;G.S. 14-269.
    (2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment;establishment.
    (3) A person participating in the event, if he the person is carrying a gun, rifle,
    or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization
    sponsoring the event; andevent.
    (4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or
    person or organization sponsoring the event.
    (5) A person carrying a handgun if the person has a valid concealed handgun
    permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter, has a
    concealed handgun permit considered valid under G.S. 14-415.24, or is
    exempt from obtaining a permit pursuant to G.S. 14-415.25. This
    subdivision shall not be construed to permit a person to carry a handgun on
    any premises where the person in legal possession or control of the premises
    has posted a conspicuous notice prohibiting the carrying of a concealed
    handgun on the premises in accordance with G.S. 14-415.11(c)."
    I'm not seeing anything in the new subsection (subsection 5) that requires the weapon to be concealed. It just says "person carrying a handgun" and then requires such a person to have a concealed carry permit. It doesn't specify the method by which the permit holder must carry the weapon (open or concealed).
    Last edited by Nascar24Glock; 08-08-2013 at 09:39 PM.
    "Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty."
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by Nascar24Glock View Post
    That's just the bill summary. The actual text of the bill does not appear to say that.



    I'm not seeing anything in the new subsection (subsection 5) that requires the weapon to be concealed. It just says "person carrying a handgun" and then requires such a person to have a concealed carry permit. It doesn't specify the method by which the permit holder must carry the weapon (open or concealed).

    A CHP only has application to CARRYING CONCEALED.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by Nascar24Glock View Post
    That's just the bill summary. The actual text of the bill does not appear to say that.



    I'm not seeing anything in the new subsection (subsection 5) that requires the weapon to be concealed. It just says "person carrying a handgun" and then requires such a person to have a concealed carry permit. It doesn't specify the method by which the permit holder must carry the weapon (open or concealed).

    A CHP only has application to CARRYING CONCEALED.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by American Patriot View Post
    A CHP only has application to CARRYING CONCEALED.
    I'd like to make sure I am understanding you correctly. Are you saying that under these new laws that apply to those with a CHP, they must CC to exercise those permissions? As in: The new law that allows a person with a CHP to carry into a restaurant that serves alcohol or a movie theater means that the person must CC?

  21. #21
    Regular Member dmatting's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by American Patriot View Post
    A CHP only has application to CARRYING CONCEALED.
    how does locking a gun in a glovebox in your car on a college campus have anything to do with carrying concealed?

    In the language of the bill, it does not specify that one must be carrying concealed. It just says that you are exempt if you have a chp. In another section, though, it clearly states that you must be carrying concealed to carry at parades and funerals.

    I'm on my phone so no way I can provide links or quotes.

  22. #22
    Regular Member carolina guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    1,790
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceman7496 View Post
    I'd like to make sure I am understanding you correctly. Are you saying that under these new laws that apply to those with a CHP, they must CC to exercise those permissions? As in: The new law that allows a person with a CHP to carry into a restaurant that serves alcohol or a movie theater means that the person must CC?
    Other than the parade/funeral section, the other changes only require that someone have a CHP, but it does not specify the METHOD of carry (OC/CC). Overall, it is pretty lame...IMO.
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

  23. #23
    Regular Member XD40sc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by Nascar24Glock View Post
    That's just the bill summary. The actual text of the bill does not appear to say that.
    Let us know what the judge says The summary was written by staff lawyers, so for the time being I'll go with their interpretation vs. an anonymous non-lawyer on the internet.
    Last edited by XD40sc; 08-10-2013 at 04:15 PM.

  24. #24
    Regular Member carolina guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    1,790
    Quote Originally Posted by dmatting View Post
    how does locking a gun in a glovebox in your car on a college campus have anything to do with carrying concealed?

    In the language of the bill, it does not specify that one must be carrying concealed. It just says that you are exempt if you have a chp. In another section, though, it clearly states that you must be carrying concealed to carry at parades and funerals.

    I'm on my phone so no way I can provide links or quotes.
    Well...in a basic sense, if you have a gun in a glove box, or somewhere else that is closed, but within reach, it is considered concealed. HB937 or not...
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

  25. #25
    Regular Member dmatting's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina guy View Post
    Well...in a basic sense, if you have a gun in a glove box, or somewhere else that is closed, but within reach, it is considered concealed. HB937 or not...
    I'm talking about the stowing portion of the bill. A chp'r can store their pistol in their car on campus but no one else can. If you aren't in the car, you're not carrying. I'm just pointing out that this is an action with the chp that does not involve carrying concealed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •