• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Coming to NC beginning of August and have some OC questions.

dmatting

A CHP only has application to CARRYING CONCEALED.

how does locking a gun in a glovebox in your car on a college campus have anything to do with carrying concealed?

In the language of the bill, it does not specify that one must be carrying concealed. It just says that you are exempt if you have a chp. In another section, though, it clearly states that you must be carrying concealed to carry at parades and funerals.

I'm on my phone so no way I can provide links or quotes.

carolina guy

I'd like to make sure I am understanding you correctly. Are you saying that under these new laws that apply to those with a CHP, they must CC to exercise those permissions? As in: The new law that allows a person with a CHP to carry into a restaurant that serves alcohol or a movie theater means that the person must CC?

Other than the parade/funeral section, the other changes only require that someone have a CHP, but it does not specify the METHOD of carry (OC/CC). Overall, it is pretty lame...IMO.

XD40sc

That's just the bill summary. The actual text of the bill does not appear to say that.
Let us know what the judge says :eek: The summary was written by staff lawyers, so for the time being I'll go with their interpretation vs. an anonymous non-lawyer on the internet.

Last edited:

carolina guy

how does locking a gun in a glovebox in your car on a college campus have anything to do with carrying concealed?

In the language of the bill, it does not specify that one must be carrying concealed. It just says that you are exempt if you have a chp. In another section, though, it clearly states that you must be carrying concealed to carry at parades and funerals.

Well...in a basic sense, if you have a gun in a glove box, or somewhere else that is closed, but within reach, it is considered concealed. HB937 or not...

dmatting

Well...in a basic sense, if you have a gun in a glove box, or somewhere else that is closed, but within reach, it is considered concealed. HB937 or not...

I'm talking about the stowing portion of the bill. A chp'r can store their pistol in their car on campus but no one else can. If you aren't in the car, you're not carrying. I'm just pointing out that this is an action with the chp that does not involve carrying concealed.

carolina guy

I'm talking about the stowing portion of the bill. A chp'r can store their pistol in their car on campus but no one else can. If you aren't in the car, you're not carrying. I'm just pointing out that this is an action with the chp that does not involve carrying concealed.

I agree...and WW has it correct on this...this is more of an "elitist" kinda way to allow people to carry, or even just store a legal firearm while on campus. My BS meter keeps going off on this one.

American Patriot

I'd like to make sure I am understanding you correctly. Are you saying that under these new laws that apply to those with a CHP, they must CC to exercise those permissions? As in: The new law that allows a person with a CHP to carry into a restaurant that serves alcohol or a movie theater means that the person must CC?

Of course. CHP is Conceal Handgun Permit. It permits the concealment of handgun. Read the state Constitution, carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited there and the permit gives permission to carry concealed.

A CHP has no connection to other modes of carry. Some are confusing the CHP with their desire to OC.

American Patriot

When carrying a gun in a vehicle it must be visible UNLESS one has a CHP. A CHP only addresses concealing a handgun. People who want specific OC privileges must address OC and not CHP. OCers are attempting to hitch their wagon onto the wrong star when they try to attach their desire to the CHP.

American Patriot

The "C" in CHP does not reference CARRY but Concealed, thus Concealed Handgun Permit. It permits the concealment of a handgun. Wrong star for Open Carry.

dmatting

The "C" in CHP does not reference CARRY but Concealed, thus Concealed Handgun Permit. It permits the concealment of a handgun. Wrong star for Open Carry.

by that logic, every oc'r is breaking the law when they go somewhere and lock their gun in their car.

lil_shawn1990

It does not specify concealing your weapon in a restaurant, but only having a permit. However it does specify having your weapon concealed at a funeral with a permit. So sounds to me like there is a choice there. But anyways, I just got back from my trip, and enjoyed it. Had no issues, OC'd everywhere I went, besides the restaurants. Even OC'd at the wedding venue (Sawyer Family Farmstead) several times and had no issues, had to put it away during the ceremony and reception, due to the lack of blood in my alcohol system. I Was up in Highlands, cashiers, and glenville. One elderly lady in highlands asked if it was legal to carry a gun on my hip, I told her yes, she asked if she could too and I told her as long as she is eligible to own a gun she can wear it. Great trip and great time. Hope to be out in that area again.

Esanders2008

Hello from VA everyone! I am planning on coming down to NC to see a friend next week, and would like it if someone could give me the gist of what is legal and isn't. I have a valid VA CHP, so that may need to be taken into consideration. Just let me know what I can and can't do so I don't get carted off. :D

Also, if someone could link to the state code website as it pertains to firearms, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:

papa bear

well you can't shoot into an occupied building or car. you can't use a fire arm in the act of a felony.

you cna't have it hid and in reach in a car (you have a CHP so that don't matter)

you can't have one at a parade or funeral. you can't take one to school k-anytime.

don't take it where you paid to get in

good news is there is no brandishing law here. but there is GaTTTOTP. which is very hard to prove

other then that pretty much like VA

Oh and no drinking alcoholic beverages, heck you can't even eat where they are served

but then there is OCT 1st

Esanders2008

well you can't shoot into an occupied building or car. you can't use a fire arm in the act of a felony.

you cna't have it hid and in reach in a car (you have a CHP so that don't matter)

you can't have one at a parade or funeral. you can't take one to school k-anytime.

don't take it where you paid to get in

good news is there is no brandishing law here. but there is GaTTTOTP. which is very hard to prove

other then that pretty much like VA

Oh and no drinking alcoholic beverages, heck you can't even eat where they are served

but then there is OCT 1st

Gatttotp?

carolina guy

Thank you for that info. In VA, we have brandishing laws that apparently apply even if you only point finger! :uhoh:;) Just ask Skidmark!

About the closest that I can find to a "brandishing" law for NC other than "Gatttotp" or disorderly conduct is:

§ 14-315.1. Storage of firearms to protect minors.

(a) Any person who resides in the same premises as a minor, owns or possesses a firearm, and stores or leaves the firearm (i) in a condition that the firearm can be discharged and (ii) in a manner that the person knew or should have known that an unsupervised minor would be able to gain access to the firearm, is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor if a minor gains access to the firearm without the lawful permission of the minor's parents or a person having charge of the minor and the minor:
(1) Possesses it in violation of G.S. 14-269.2(b);
(2) Exhibits it in a public place in a careless, angry, or threatening manner;
(3) Causes personal injury or death with it not in self defense; or
(4) Uses it in the commission of a crime.

(b) Nothing in this section shall prohibit a person from carrying a firearm on his or her body, or placed in such close proximity that it can be used as easily and quickly as if carried on the body.
(c) This section shall not apply if the minor obtained the firearm as a result of an unlawful entry by any person.
(d) "Minor" as used in this section means a person under 18 years of age who is not emancipated. (1993, c. 558, s. 2; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 14, s. 11.)

And this one is so poorly written it is making my head hurt to read it. ;)

Last edited:

rev.david

Tagging on to travelling to NC

As I am also travelling to NC in about 10 days, I have a question. I have heard that you are required to self-identify if talked to by police, both as a CHP holder and in a vehicle. True or not true?

D+

P.S. I am a Virginia resident with a CHP.

Last edited:

carolina guy

As I am also travelling to NC in about 10 days, I have a question. I have heard that you are required to self-identify if talked to by police, both as a CHP holder and in a vehicle. True or not true?

D+

P.S. I am a Virginia resident with a CHP.

AFAIK, you only need to identify if you are being arrested, are ACTUALLY carrying concealed (not just in possession of a CHP), or driving a car...all else, not so much so.

Last edited: