• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to open carry and so far so good.

Nate1980

Just wanted to make a presence on this forum, more than anything to thank all of you on here for all your advice, knowledge shared, and different points of view as it all has made my first experiences open carrying in Colorado that much easier and comfortable. I purchased my first handgun about three weeks ago and was not sure what I could do or how I should go about having my handgun with me for protection. So I feel very thankful I ran across OCDO and spent days going through threads on this forum both the general threads and the Colorado threads. There is so much great information here and seeing the points of views of so many different people really helps. I do plan to get my CCW sometime this year only for the fact of carrying in the winter where I would wear a jacket or just in case I would need to wear something that ends up covering my weapon I won't have to worry about it not being in plain sight, but for the most part I plan on always open carrying. I live in Grand Junction and have not seen any other open carriers yet but I am sure they are out there. I have been in many grocery stores, gas stations, and retail stores open carrying without a problem. I notice people seeing that I am carrying, keeping myself aware of people around me, but they never say anything and I am always polite to everyone, even more so now. I am proud to be able to exercise my 2nd amendment right, to protect myself and my family, and just glad to have found this forum and the people in it to help me find the information I need to make it easier to know the does and don'ts.

got_heat

Welcome!! I think that a lot of people are just unsure of themselves and the law, so they just don't open carry. I see people open carry here in Colo Springs, but not a lot.

Kopis

i live just across from memphis tn so i work and play in an OC state (just handgun permit, not CC). Even then, i rarely see anyone OC. Ive seen it 2x in years and years ive been here. Once was right after i got my CCW permit and another was at a rental store. no one was scared or panicking either time.

my OCing is more in winter with a light jacket or a button up shirt untucked over it. ive never even had any one notice.

Last edited:

Nate1980

Was just out today with my kids picking up some pizza at Papa Murphy's while OCing and when we walked out I got stopped by an older couple who said they were members of the NRA and wanted to thank me and appreciate that I was OCing. I couldnt stop and say much with kids wanting to get home and out of heat by let told them I appreciated them being supportive and I will always OC. First time anyone ever actually stopped me and glad the first time was a good experience.

SteveInCO

Good!

I've only recently begun carrying in places that weren't obviously supportive of it (e.g., a couple of the local gun shops, the shooting range). That first time outside of overtly friendly territory (where it's legal but still unusual) can be a bit tense--mine was in a Subway shop in a not-so-good neighborhood with an OC friend.

I've only ever had comments while in overtly friendly territory though, so your story is quite happymaking.

Edit: WHOOPS. Got a bit confused. I saw the title of the thread and your last post... but I didn't realize it wasn't your first post in the thread. So I assumed this Papa Murphy's incident was your first carry, and I was wrong. Anyhow I am still happy you got a positive comment.

Last edited: