• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Am I allow to open carry in Ohio from Kentucky?

mem1977

Hello my fellow Patriots! I live in Kentucky and I open carry every where I go here in the state. I will be crossing over into Ohio this week to do some shopping. I'll be just going over the river into Ohio. My question is being that I am a Kentucky resident with a CCDW permit. Will I be allowed to openly carry my firearm in Ohio even though I live in Kentucky? I have never carried out of state before. This would be my first time doing so. I know Ohio recognizes Kentucky's CCDW. But what about a person from out of state open carrying?

Any help greatly appreciated. :cool:

Last edited:

Suckerspawn

Hello my fellow Patriots! I live in Kentucky and I open carry every where I go here in the state. I will be crossing over into Ohio this week to do some shopping. I'll be just going over the river into Ohio. My question is being that I am a Kentucky resident with a CCDW permit. Will I be allowed to openly carry my firearm in Ohio even though I live in Kentucky? I have never carried out of state before. This would be my first time doing so. I know Ohio recognizes Kentucky's CCDW. But what about a person from out of state open carrying?

Any help greatly appreciated. :cool:

If you can legally possess a firearm, you can open carry it in Ohio. No permission slip required, with a few limitations.

eye95

Ohio reciprocates with Kentucky, so you don't have to worry about loaded carry in your car.

Carry in a federal GFSZ might be a problem, although I know of no one who has been hassled for that alone. Also, the question of what "licensed" by the State in which the school is located means has not been answered by a court. Does it mean that the school's state issued the piece of paper or that that State has given you permission via a reciprocity agreement?

mem1977

Follow up on my Ohio visit.... All went well while in the Buckeye state. No run in's with the law. No one payed any attention to me open carrying my Glock 17. All in all.... a great visit to South Point and Chesapeake, Ohio. GO!!!!!!!!!!!! BUCKEYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:banana::monkey

eye95

What an incredible lack of detail!

Without detail, there is no way of telling whether the carrier was breaking the law or if the cops were. I suspect the cops were. If so, I hope the victim posts here so that we can help.

Brian D.

I found a confusing news article regarding this subject today, and it seems to go against everything I know to be true about open carry in Ohio. http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/crime-law/man-caught-with-gun-in-wrong-place/nYpYR/
Can anyone explain to me why this person was cited, and what he could have been cited for?

Over at the OFCC forums, our pal MyWifeSaidYes seemed to have some inside info on this one, or maybe it was an educated guess: The Kentucky resident was fine while carrying the gun in that matter, but screwed the pooch (as a non-CHL'er) by getting in his vehicle while the gun was still in his belt.

OC for ME

Moot point now but I cannot help myself.

What exactly does a citizen from KY look like as compared to a OH citizen. To my knowledge there is no unique, and visible to the casual observer, a distinctly KY physical attribute. Of course, there may be few casual observers in OH.

;)

It seems that LACs from KY "look" not much different than does a LAC in OH.

MyWifeSaidYes

...or maybe it was an educated guess...

For it to have been an educated guess, one must first be educated. :rolleyes:

I just called the Centerville police department, mentioned the article and it's lack of detail, and asked about the legality of open carry in Centerville.

They were happy to shed a little more light on the topic.

Sadly, this is just a case of not knowing the laws in a different state. :cry:

eye95

...What exactly does a citizen from KY look like as compared to a OH citizen. To my knowledge there is no unique, and visible to the casual observer, a distinctly KY physical attribute...

Lessee...

Toothless.

Reddened neck.

PBR in one hand, paper bag twisted around the neck of a bottle in the other.

Wildcat tattoo on one buttock (hopefully you don't see that one).

Only one key. (The key to the car IS the key to the house.)

If you get a gander at the marriage license, both last names are the same.

My apologies to any Kentuckians here, but he asked!

OC for ME

Do detect a hint of condescension directed towards a PBR? I like PBR.....when there are no other options that is. And, it depends on what the buttocks looks like, I can tell if the view will be promising, on whether or not the viewing would be enjoyable.

The remainder of the attributes you note cannot be refuted.

eye95

I am a beer snob. A few years in Europe did that to me.

Anyway, PBR is a patriotic beer: Red neck, white socks, and Blue Ribbon beer!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

backupid

Please do not trust the last poster's advice, It is not a good idea to drink and open carry. Be suspitious of those who seem to often have the last word.

eye95

Please do not trust the last poster's advice, It is not a good idea to drink and open carry. Be suspitious of those who seem to often have the last word.

Where did I advise drinking while carrying, openly or otherwise???

Please do not misrepresent what I say. It is dishonest. (Unless that action is a result of your disconnection with reality. Then, again, seek help.)

Folks, FYI, that poster is the one formerly known as Joanie, whose non-backupid has been banned so that anything she posts under it is invisible to the rest of us. Just thought you could use that context.

<o>

OC for ME

Please do not trust the last poster's advice, It is not a good idea to drink and open carry. Be suspicious of those who seem to often have the last word.
Ditto on the last word thing. You did try to get the last word, did you not. Now eye needs to get the last word so as to get me off the hook i placed myself on re the last word.

Oh, by the way, it certainly is not a good idea for you.

eye95

I don't need to get in the last word.

Dammit.

Are we playing last poster wins?

I win!

<o>