• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Privacy fears grow as Obama weighs expanded gun-buyer database

OC for ME

(Reuters) - Mental health advocates are worried that the privacy of people who have received treatment for their illnesses could be jeopardized by a White House push to expand a database used to run background checks on gun buyers.

President Barack Obama said he wants to see state governments contribute more names of people barred from buying guns to the database, part of a sweeping set of executive actions he announced after a gunman killed 20 children and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, in December.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/09/us-usa-guns-privacy-idUSBRE96815820130709
Not unexpected. Add the names or face sanctions.....so let it be written.....so let it be done.

eye95

This action does illustrate another concept: Rights that you get from the Grace of Government may be removed at the Whim of Government. They are not really rights. They are privileges.

Since the government believes it gave you the right to medical privacy via HIPPA, it feels it has the authority to revoke or limit that right.

I wish the government would stop being so damned gracious.

OC for ME

i have always disagreed with HIPPA, not because of what to law is and what it does, per se, but because a acronym is used as a word. I already blew it on one "acronym" today and with 20+ years of Naval service under my belt I'm kind of tired of acronyms.