• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Top Ten Reasons Why You Should Not Talk to the Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
HTML:
fixed it for you.
ROFLMAO. :lol:

I don't know if I've ever whined about it but, I do object strenuously to people going around doing FIFY posts. Specially my posts. If I'd meant to say it the way some people FIFY them, I'd have said it that way to begin with.

So, if anyone want's to do FIFY on my posts, just remember, in my opinion, you're effing it up. And I don't really like that.

Now, can we get back on topic?

Thank you. :)

OC for ME

Why not just use their tactics?

"Officer isn't it true that anything I say will be used against me in a court of law? If so do you advise me not to talk?"

Answer every question. But answer it WITH a question. 'Am I legally required to do that...am I required by law to answer that question? Can you give me the cite for my records that demands that I answer that question, Sir'.

Be respectful, be calm, use the opportunity. If the officer is confused ask 'Is it not my right to have you call a supervisor? If so please call a supervisor, sir and I'll wait here for him to get here'. When he gets there, just LISTEN, don't talk.
I recommend that you do not heed this advice. The number one goal in a encounter with a LEO is to end the encounter. If he is going to detain you he will detain you. If he does not reasonably believe he can detain you he will let you walk away. End the encounter. If you do not reasonably believe that you are free to go, say nothing.....zero, zip, nadda. The only time you should talk is if you are hauled off to the station then invoke your 5A and request a attorney.....then zip it closed.

The court also found no issue with the length of Pierson’s detention — 45 minutes by Pierson’s account and 37 minutes according to LCSO dispatch information and recording — citing precedent that explained, “When a [person]’s own conduct contributes to a delay, he or she may not complain that the resulting delay is unreasonable.” Pierson had requested Bassett call a supervisor to the scene.

http://www.kemmerergazette.com/v2_news_articles.php?heading=0&page=72&story_id=3383

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...arry-Arrest-Audio-Video&p=1963733#post1963733
The case cited above is not about not talking, it was about not leaving, or asking to leave when it was determined that the plaintiff was not under arrest. "AM I FREE TO GO!?!?!?!?!?!"

PFC HALE

I recommend that you do not heed this advice. The number one goal in a encounter with a LEO is to end the encounter. If he is going to detain you he will detain you. If he does not reasonably believe he can detain you he will let you walk away. End the encounter. If you do not reasonably believe that you are free to go, say nothing.....zero, zip, nadda. The only time you should talk is if you are hauled off to the station then invoke your 5A and request a attorney.....then zip it closed.

The case cited above is not about not talking, it was about not leaving, or asking to leave when it was determined that the plaintiff was not under arrest. "AM I FREE TO GO!?!?!?!?!?!"

would it suffice to say that if they hold you in that loop of "you arent being detained but you cant leave", one should be able to "assume" they are free to go and just walk away? how does one get out of that stupid loop the stick you in?

the games cops play really is stupid...

Maverick9

EXCELLENT Point.

(note I say 'why not...blah, blah, blah?', not, "here's some advices"...so great answer as to why not).

Last edited:

Maverick9

Well, which is it? Am I senile, or a kid?

I'm so confused. :eek:

A little of both? My friend says I act like a teenage girl. All because I make her kill spiders and occasionally scream like a woman...and I watch Vampire Diaries. (sulk).

I say go with it - second childhood, no responsibilities?

OC for ME

would it suffice to say that if they hold you in that loop of "you aren't being detained but you cant leave", one should be able to "assume" they are free to go and just walk away? how does one get out of that stupid loop the stick you in?

the games cops play really is stupid...
If you are not physically restrained, for officer safety of course, then yes, walk away, ride away, drive away. I works every time it is tried. If they physically restrain you after you start to walk away, before you ride/drive away, because the cop would not close the loop, then it is on him and he will be easily corrected in a courtroom.

If the fella in the cited case would have asked to leave after he was informed that he was not under arrest, instead of asking for a supervisor, he may have left with a ticket and likely far sooner than after 45 minutes. The sheriff stated that a complaint would have been addressed. Sometimes OCers attempt to educate a LEO on the side of the road, sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. It seems fairly consistent around here that educating cops should be done on our terms and not a LEOs terms.

This thread is about, I think, talking to cops on the side of the road. If you get hauled down town that is certainly the time to remain silent after invoking our 5A and requesting a attorney. On this particular, and in my opinion, very little will gain you quite a lot. Cops are not stupid and they will know when they are about to cross a line into a hazard that they may not be able to cross back over into safety from.

Status
Not open for further replies.