Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: asked to decock

asked to decock

I went into a store and the lady who was working at the gun counter asked if I would lower the hammer on my gun. I said no she said it made her nervous I told her it was a 1911 and the safety was on nothing else
    was said about it and she helped me with what I needed.
    First time that that's happen to me.

Mike D

Seems lots of folks will stop and ask "Do you know your hammer is back (is cocked)?"

The standard response has been to do a dramatic forarm wipe across the brow and exclaim "Thank goodness! For a moment I was afraid my handgun might have become unsafe." A much better conversation starter than a snarky "Why, yes it is, isn't it."

Only once did someone attempt to press the hammer down (to fix it?). The wearer of the 1911 came this close >< to creating a large dent in the guy's head, took a few gulps of air, and had a very pleasant conversation about not touching other people's guns - especially while they are wearing them. The guy attempting to fix things went away wiser and with an understanding that at least one OCer was not a knee-jerk reactionary killer looking for the first target to come along. The OCer, on the other hand, had aged several years in that moment - something they could not well afford to do.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Banned
    Should have put a round into the floor ! "There, that's done ... oh wait, its cocked again .. I can fix that, hold on...."

I know we need to be diplomatic with stupid people but sometimes it gets trying.

I'm tired of my rights and safety taking a back seat to someones "feelings" or "insecurities".

I want to tell them yes I know it is cocked it is easier to fire that way....duh

But I usally smile and tell them that is the way they are designed as to carry them safely.

On the other hand, the best laugh I've had in many a year was when a police officer told me that my trigger was cocked! It took me a minute or two to figure out that he was talking about the hammer being cocked on my .45!!
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    On the other hand, the best laugh I've had in many a year was when a police officer told me that my trigger was cocked! It took me a minute or two to figure out that he was talking about the hammer being cocked on my .45!!
    And this cop carries a weapon right?........scary thought.

Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    And this cop carries a weapon right?........scary thought.
    Very few of the younger cops around here have any experience with 1911-type pistols. Most of them have only handled Tupperware.

I have also witnessed a couple of LEOs violate the "finger on trigger" safety rule. What makes it even scarier is the knowledge that the only real safety their weapon has is their control of their bugger hook.
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

What makes it even scarier is the knowledge that the only real safety their weapon has is their control of their bugger hook.
    As it is should be.

It wouldn't bother me to carry any of my firearms cocked, even if they are not equipped with a manual safety. I would even carry a double action firearm (true double action) cocked.

All of my firearms are modern firearms in proper working condition and all of them have a trigger block.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by ps1mhd View Post
    ...the lady who was working at the gun counter asked if I would lower the hammer on my gun...
    "You want me to handle my loaded weapon? Are you sure you don't want to rethink that request? Have you taken any firearm safety classes?"

Next, do not let the moment just go. If you think she truly doesn't understand, you should write a letter to the management and ask them to train their staff. You can relate the experience without divulging the worker's name. If they know who you are talking about, then that means it is an often enough problem to need correction.
    Last edited by MAC702; 07-10-2013 at 07:18 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    As it is should be.

It wouldn't bother me to carry any of my firearms cocked, even if they are not equipped with a manual safety. I would even carry a double action firearm (true double action) cocked.

All of my firearms are modern firearms in proper working condition and all of them have a trigger block.
    I think you may have misunderstood what I said. The firearms nowadays are safe. It's the people who hold them who are often not safe. In the particular incidents I mentioned above, the cops had their fingers on the triggers. I think we all know that is, to say the least, unsafe.

She just wanted to see your decocker.

Women love decockers.

I think you may have misunderstood what I said. The firearms nowadays are safe. It's the people who hold them who are often not safe. In the particular incidents I mentioned above, the cops had their fingers on the triggers. I think we all know that is, to say the least, unsafe.
    The first line was in reply to your comment. Everything after the double vertical space was at nobody in particular.

You are correct about firearms/people. I have never once had a firearm just "go off", but I do know people who has fired a firearm unintentionally.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    I don't want to be decocked.
    Neither do I...

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Only once did someone attempt to press the hammer down (to fix it?). The wearer of the 1911 came this close >< to creating a large dent in the guy's head, took a few gulps of air, and had a very pleasant conversation about not touching other people's guns - especially while they are wearing them. The guy attempting to fix things went away wiser and with an understanding that at least one OCer was not a knee-jerk reactionary killer looking for the first target to come along. The OCer, on the other hand, had aged several years in that moment - something they could not well afford to do.

stay safe.
    How did someone get close enough to touch the OCer's weapon? Was it poor situational awareness or did they know the "helper"?
    Last edited by willy1094; 07-12-2013 at 02:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    should have put a round into the floor ! "there, that's done ... Oh wait, its cocked again .. I can fix that, hold on...."
    like button. Lol

Re: asked to decock

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    "You want me to handle my loaded weapon? Are you sure you don't want to rethink that request? Have you taken any firearm safety classes?"

Next, do not let the moment just go. If you think she truly doesn't understand, you should write a letter to the management and ask them to train their staff. You can relate the experience without divulging the worker's name. If they know who you are talking about, then that means it is an often enough problem to need correction.
    This! + to infinity & beyond. This woman's ignorance is liable to get someone hurt our worse. Does she peer at the split triggers on glocks & ask their owners to place the trigger in the reward position. ! Why do places hire people to work with guns that have no concept of safe gun handling?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by willy1094 View Post
    How did someone get close enough to touch the OCer's weapon? Was it poor situational awareness or did they know the "helper"?
    Sudden move from close conversational distance. The hammer's owner was facing about 45* away from Mr. Fixit, directing his words to someone else. Remember, I said they tried to fix the problem - not that they were successful.

Y'all can "watch their hands" till the cows come home. It's the shoulders that give things away.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    +1 This was my first thought.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Should have put a round into the floor ! "There, that's done ... oh wait, its cocked again .. I can fix that, hold on...."
    Because advocating for someone to initiate a negligent discharge is common practice among OC'ers, right?!
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07 View Post
    Because advocating for someone to initiate a negligent discharge is common practice among OC'ers, right?!
    If he intentionally put a round into the floor, it wouldn't be a negligent discharge.

Quote Originally Posted by flb_78 View Post
    If he intentionally put a round into the floor, it wouldn't be a negligent discharge.
    You're right; I couldn't think of the name/term for it at the moment. Still, would be illegal within most city limits within the state. Although I question the authority of most towns to do so, a large part of them have ordinances banning the discharge of a firearm within city limits for any reason, with the exception of self-defense, or protection of your property. And I personally found it distasteful, even in sarcasm, for David to make a comment about playing with the hammer, and causing the round to be fired, even in the context of not being the OC'er.
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker
    I know we need to be diplomatic with stupid people but sometimes it gets trying.
    Amen.

I'm tired of people thinking that my rights and safety take a back seat to someones "feelings" or "insecurities".
    Is that what you meant to say?

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired
    the only real safety their weapon has is their control of their bugger hook.
    That doesn't mean the same as "booger hook".

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ
    Does she peer at the split triggers on glocks & ask their owners to place the trigger in the reward position?
    Never thought of it that way.

Activist Member
    Actually it would. If someone were to actually do so, then they would be doing so due to their lack of care or concern for others, which is the very definition of negligence.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

Centurion

asked to decock

I'd call it a negligent INTENTIONAL act. It is a more serious violation in my mind that an UNINTENTIONAL negligent act!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast