• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry and Rifle transport through Ohio

FrostyKRU

Hey guys and gals, looking for a little info. I read the other thread about open carry in your great state.I am a resident of Kentucky, I do not have a CCDW because I prefer to open carry. Does your state permit open carry without a license and if so where may I not carry, GFSZ and courthouses aside? Second question. I am bringing a rifle with me. What are laws regarding transport of firearms? Are there any? Or do I have to have it in a case unloaded? Thanks for your help. Links to your statutes would be great also! Have a great night everyone!

Last edited:

MyWifeSaidYes

Without a license, you cannot carry a loaded firearm in. or on, a vehicle. Your firearms must not have any ammo in them. Magazines may be loaded, but stored in a separate closeable compartment, although that compartment may be within the same case or bag.

Once you are out of your car, you may load and open carry both handguns and long guns.

An inside-the-waistband (IWB) holster that only exposes the grips of a handgun is not considered 'open' carry.

Our codes are listed at http://codes.ohio.gov. Section 9.68, under General Provisions of the Revised Code, is our preemption statute. Section 2923 deals with weapons.

FrostyKRU

Thanks for that link, and the info. I should be just fine and within the laws now. I might be spoiled, but in Kentucky we dont have that many laws or restrictions on firearms. You can open carry a loaded gun just about anywhere, except schools, courthouses, and businesses that make more that 51% of their income from alcohol. Thanks again guys! Have a great weekend!