Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greater Richmond OC Breakfast Sat 7/13 takes to the road - Tomato Festival

Greater Richmond OC Breakfast Sat 7/13 takes to the road - Tomato Festival

hanover tomato festival 7/13
    oc friendly? any experience?

--Merged threads--

Breakfast meet up information detailed on post #7
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 07-11-2013 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Merged threads
    If you can not move at 1100 fps, then pass me by.

Join us there. Look for the two Oulde Phartes weaing bibs and still arguing the finer points of mayo (Duke's or it isn't worth the effort) vs Miracle Whip (**spit, spit**). Last year we reached accord on the absorbent qualities of Wonder vs. Home Pride.

You should be able to find us somewhere in the middle of the sea of orange GSL stickers.

http://www.co.hanover.va.us/parksrec/tomatofest/

July 13, 9 AM - 4 PM.

That's this coming Saturday, folks. (There's a chance the Greater Richmond OC Breakfast will be held there. Check for a sticky later in the week.)

stay safe.
    Last edited by skidmark; 07-10-2013 at 03:20 PM.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Join us there. Look for the two Oulde Phartes weaing bibs and still arguing the finer points of mayo (Duke's or it isn't worth the effort) vs Miracle Whip (**spit, spit**). Last year we reached accord on the absorbent qualities of Wonder vs. Home Pride.

You should be able to find us somewhere in the middle of the sea of orange GSL stickers.

July 13, 9 AM - 4 PM.

That's this coming Saturday, folks. (There's a chance the Greater Richmond OC Breakfast will be held there. Check for a sticky later in the week.)

stay safe.
    cool. remember the rotten tomatoes a few years ago over the confederate sticker distribution?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

July 13, 9 AM - 4 PM.

stay safe.
    Home Pride wins by default - there is no Wonder anymore. Love my fruit sammichas.

This is one of my favorite events each year - it's the Boys of Summer thing but with 'maters.

Think a change of locale for the breakfast/brunch would be super. Maybe the handsome, young videographer will be fit by then.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

July 13, 9 AM - 4 PM.

stay safe.
    Miracle Whip is NOT Mayo!
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_shadow View Post
    This is the best mayo that I have ever had.

Whole Egg Mayonnaise

2 eggs
    2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 cups canola oil

First make sure that you are open carrying your favorite handgun.

Then in the container of a food processor or blender, combine the mustard powder, salt, eggs and vinegar. Set the food processor on medium speed and gradually drizzle in the oil while it runs. Transfer to a container with a lid and store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
    I think that this would be a great open carry meet and greet location.

PS - A good trick to keep from making a mess is to use a blender with a lid with the removable middle piece. Remove the middle piece and cover it firmly with a solo cup with a small hole in the bottom. Pour the oil into the cup and let drizzle in.

Greater Richmond OC Breakfast Sat 7/13 takes to the road - Tomato Festival

It's official. Tomato sandwhiches on Home Pride bread with Dukes mayonaise. The addition of bacon is permitted as desired. All lettuce should be taken to the 4-H booth and donated to the rabbits.

We are heading out to Pole Green Park for the day, starting with tomato sandwhiches for breakfast, and possibly tomato sandwhiches for lunch. Definately a tomato sandwhich or three for supper.

FAQ's - time, location, driving directions, answers about bringing your dog, vendor lists - just about everything you want to know except what are the winning Lottery numbers.

http://www.co.hanover.va.us/parksrec...st/vendors.htm - start planning your tomato eating now, or you might not get through before the end of the day.

BTW - they do sell tomatoes there, so bring a bag/basket to take some home.

Those interested in group-touring, plan to meet up in front of the tomato sales tent (on the side nearest the emergency vehicles) at 9:30. That means arriving earlier to find parking and tramp across half the grounds to the tent. Map here for those who like that sort of thing: http://www.co.hanover.va.us/parksrec...3_eventmap.pdf

Saturday's forecast - pretty much the same as it has been

SATURDAYIsolated Thunderstorms 83°72°
    Precip:
    30%
    Humidity:
    94%
    Wind:
    6mph NE
    UV Index:
    Sunrise:
    6:00 am
    Sunset:
    8:31 pm

stay safe.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 07-11-2013 at 07:12 PM.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

rain

guess ill be carrying plastic instead of steel..perhaps my jinx wont drench us all...

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

July 13, 9 AM - 4 PM.

stay safe.
    I should be cured by then.

Neither is Hellman's, but why get all excited about it.

For the uninitiated, you may want to bring your own just in case the vendor has not received The Word on what to put between the bread and the tomato.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by thedevilrobyjohn View Post
    guess ill be carrying plastic instead of steel..perhaps my jinx wont drench us all...
    Late afternoon thunderbumpers. Hopefully not like yesterday's (Wednesday, 7/10) that so vividly pointed out that the City of Richmond really needs to clean the stuff blocking the storm drains. If you used Jeff Davis Hwy as your rain guage, an average of over a foot of water fell between Hull and Chippenham.

And you could always make a stop at Wal-Mart or one of the chain drug stores and get a clear poncho if yoy are afraid you have an ancestral connection to Dorothy Hamilton http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQJ8WrKnLUs .

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    One can cure that much ham in less than 48hrs?!?!?

Roscoe
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

And Wonder is not bread!
    No right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded, by the common law than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law. Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford as quoted in Terry v Ohio.

Talk to your cats about catnip - before it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Good - then I can tell you about my new "incidents" ((2 of them) on the public right-of-ways at MCV - same attempted "rule" enforcement as before. Me had much fun!

Quote Originally Posted by roscoe13 View Post
    Roscoe
    It ain't the sugar cured kind. Salt cured and smoked - been hanging in a 'backy-barn for years
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 07-11-2013 at 07:05 PM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by roscoe13 View Post

Roscoe

For those that are directionally challenged enter 8996 Pole Green Park Lane, Mechanicsville, VA 23116 in your GPS

or

Click on this link for Google map directions from your starting point.

This is a really great event - ideal to bring family, friends, co-workers, and neighbors. Just in case it isn't clear, yes OC is fine - been there and done that. The Festival people are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    For those that are directionally challenged enter 8996 Pole Green Park Lane, Mechanicsville, VA 23116 in your GPS

or

Click on this link for Google map directions from your starting point.

This is a really great event - ideal to bring family, friends, co-workers, and neighbors. Just in case it isn't clear, yes OC is fine - been there and done that. The Festival people are great.

Wish I could make it Alas gotta work . A good mater sammich sounds good, Guess I'll have to hit one of the local farm stands for lunch.
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Wish I could make it Alas gotta work . A good mater sammich sounds good, Guess I'll have to hit one of the local farm stands for lunch.

The fishing's too good this time of year to come inland anyway.

Although I would love to come,

July 13, 9 AM - 4 PM.

stay safe.
    And see the debate rage on, I find it hard to believe the food would be worth the trip. Yes, I know all about the reputation of the great "Hanover" Tomato, (Sidestreet read me all the vendors that will be there ) but unless they have learned to grow them in Yellow and cut the acid I will have to pass.

My Grandfather (Pappy Yoder) introduced me to Yellow tomatoes at a very young age and I have been addicted ever since. NO substitutions excepted!

I have learned to cross the James for RCD breakfasts, but have to pass on Hanover for tomatoes.

PS, Hellman’s on Rye or Sourdough bread works best! “Miracle Whip” is not even in the running! (My wife and I have been having this same argument for about 36 years now.)

See you next week ;>)
    Last edited by va_tazdad; 07-13-2013 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Fat Fingered typist

Quote Originally Posted by va_tazdad View Post
    And see the debate rage on, I find it hard to believe the food would be worth the trip. Yes, I know all about the reputation of the great "Hanover" Tomato, (Sidestreet read me all the vendors that will be there ) but unless they have learned to grow them in Yellow and cut the acid I will have to pass.

Mt Grandfather (Pappy Yoder) introduced me to Yellow tomatoes at a very young age and I have been addicted ever since. NO substitutions excepted!

I have learned to cross the James for RCD breakfasts, but have to pass on Hanover for tomatoes.

PS, Hellman’s on Rye or Sourdough bread works best! “Miracle Whip” is not even in the running! (My wife and I have been having this same argument for about 36 years now.)

See you next week ;>)
    Hellman's / Duke's "I have no dog in this fight".

However, my wife's friends who now live somewhere "North of the Ni" ALWAYS insist on stocking up on Duke's on each and every occasion that they are back in this area

Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    Hellman's / Duke's "I have no dog in this fight".

However, my wife's friends who now live somewhere "North of the Ni" ALWAYS insist on stocking up on Duke's on each and every occasion that they are back in this area
    For Logan from Hanover Tomato Festival

They have a petting zoo too.

http://www.co.hanover.va.us/parksrec...otogallery.htm
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 07-13-2013 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by va_tazdad View Post

My Grandfather (Pappy Yoder) introduced me to Yellow tomatoes at a very young age and I have been addicted ever since. NO substitutions excepted!

See you next week ;>)
    Come on out - they have yellow Hanovers too.

It ain't about the 'maters - It is about promoting self-defense

Think Attack of the Killer Tomatos.
    http://killertomatoes.com/main.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    They have a petting zoo too.
    All we saw was 2 alpacas and they were so far behind the fence that Logan couldn't reach them. His 'petting zoo' experience was limited to riverrat10k's dog. We walked over to the fire truck, had a quick look and then headed towards the food area when he saw the playground so that occupied about an hour of our time before we tried to take a look at the medflight helicopter. We got within about 75ft of it and Logan decided that was as close as he wanted to be.

Then we shared a funnel cake until the plate had nothing but powdered sugar on it. I was about to carry it carefully to the trash can but my son had other ideas. He decided the plate would be better without the powdered sugar so he picked it up and tipped the sugar off the plate and all down the front of my shirt.

As the helicopter was taking off we were just getting back to the car and its flightpath took it right overhead of us, which got Logan all excited seeing it fly so close. Traffic trying to enter the park was backed up along Pole Green Rd all the way to Bell Creek as we were leaving, whereas we'd encountered no delays at all when we arrived.

A bit OT... for what its worth.

Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    All we saw was 2 alpacas and they were so far behind the fence that Logan couldn't reach them.
    If you want to see alpacas up close and friendly, check out the Upright Alpaca Farm, in Essex County. They are open for visitors a couple Saturdays per month. They are happy to show you around and introduce you to their herd, which includes several very young ones, which from just about any perspective, are quite cute. They have a small gift shop as well, which has items made from the shearing, and that is their income, no admission charge.

You do need to check with them to make sure which days they will be open.

TFred

guns save lives

After I met up with peter nap and grape....me and mom were asked by at least 20 people where to get the vcdl stickers. I should have gotten a good amount of them myself to hand out...even standing with them New Yorkers and many many others wanted them....hot item....good time, no petting zoo so I had to buy a damn $20 rabbit puppet, thought there was a petting zoo....made it through everything then...2 cops on bikes set their sights on me and followed me , they talked back and forth then decided to not confront me....had many pleasant conversations...amazed the duncan pro yoyoer as I walked up and did some tricks with him.....I used to compete and demonstrate in the expert division...a yoyoer at the disney tent with two open pistols...you had to be there.....paid $6 for three tomatoes and $7 for a blt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast