• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greater Richmond OC Breakfast Sat 7/13 takes to the road - Tomato Festival

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Join us there. Look for the two Oulde Phartes weaing bibs and still arguing the finer points of mayo (Duke's or it isn't worth the effort) vs Miracle Whip (**spit, spit**). Last year we reached accord on the absorbent qualities of Wonder vs. Home Pride.

You should be able to find us somewhere in the middle of the sea of orange GSL stickers.

http://www.co.hanover.va.us/parksrec/tomatofest/

July 13, 9 AM - 4 PM.

That's this coming Saturday, folks. (There's a chance the Greater Richmond OC Breakfast will be held there. Check for a sticky later in the week.)

stay safe.

Last edited:

thedevilrobyjohn

Join us there. Look for the two Oulde Phartes weaing bibs and still arguing the finer points of mayo (Duke's or it isn't worth the effort) vs Miracle Whip (**spit, spit**). Last year we reached accord on the absorbent qualities of Wonder vs. Home Pride.

You should be able to find us somewhere in the middle of the sea of orange GSL stickers.

July 13, 9 AM - 4 PM.

That's this coming Saturday, folks. (There's a chance the Greater Richmond OC Breakfast will be held there. Check for a sticky later in the week.)

stay safe.

cool. remember the rotten tomatoes a few years ago over the confederate sticker distribution?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

July 13, 9 AM - 4 PM.

stay safe.

Home Pride wins by default - there is no Wonder anymore. Love my fruit sammichas.

This is one of my favorite events each year - it's the Boys of Summer thing but with 'maters.

Think a change of locale for the breakfast/brunch would be super. Maybe the handsome, young videographer will be fit by then.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member

July 13, 9 AM - 4 PM.

stay safe.
Miracle Whip is NOT Mayo!;)

speed41ae

This is the best mayo that I have ever had.

Whole Egg Mayonnaise

2 eggs
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups canola oil

First make sure that you are open carrying your favorite handgun.

Then in the container of a food processor or blender, combine the mustard powder, salt, eggs and vinegar. Set the food processor on medium speed and gradually drizzle in the oil while it runs. Transfer to a container with a lid and store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.

I think that this would be a great open carry meet and greet location.

PS - A good trick to keep from making a mess is to use a blender with a lid with the removable middle piece. Remove the middle piece and cover it firmly with a solo cup with a small hole in the bottom. Pour the oil into the cup and let drizzle in.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It's official. Tomato sandwhiches on Home Pride bread with Dukes mayonaise. The addition of bacon is permitted as desired. All lettuce should be taken to the 4-H booth and donated to the rabbits.

We are heading out to Pole Green Park for the day, starting with tomato sandwhiches for breakfast, and possibly tomato sandwhiches for lunch. Definately a tomato sandwhich or three for supper.:banana::banana::banana:

FAQ's - time, location, driving directions, answers about bringing your dog, vendor lists - just about everything you want to know except what are the winning Lottery numbers.

http://www.co.hanover.va.us/parksrec/tomatofest/vendors.htm - start planning your tomato eating now, or you might not get through before the end of the day.

BTW - they do sell tomatoes there, so bring a bag/basket to take some home.

Those interested in group-touring, plan to meet up in front of the tomato sales tent (on the side nearest the emergency vehicles) at 9:30. That means arriving earlier to find parking and tramp across half the grounds to the tent. Map here for those who like that sort of thing: http://www.co.hanover.va.us/parksrec/tomatofest/2013_eventmap.pdf

Saturday's forecast - pretty much the same as it has been

SATURDAYIsolated Thunderstorms 83°72°
Precip:
30%
Humidity:
94%
Wind:
6mph NE
UV Index:
Sunrise:
6:00 am
Sunset:
8:31 pm

stay safe.

Last edited by a moderator:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

July 13, 9 AM - 4 PM.

stay safe.

I should be cured by then.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Neither is Hellman's, but why get all excited about it.

For the uninitiated, you may want to bring your own just in case the vendor has not received The Word on what to put between the bread and the tomato.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
guess ill be carrying plastic instead of steel..perhaps my jinx wont drench us all...

Late afternoon thunderbumpers. Hopefully not like yesterday's (Wednesday, 7/10) that so vividly pointed out that the City of Richmond really needs to clean the stuff blocking the storm drains. If you used Jeff Davis Hwy as your rain guage, an average of over a foot of water fell between Hull and Chippenham.

And you could always make a stop at Wal-Mart or one of the chain drug stores and get a clear poncho if yoy are afraid you have an ancestral connection to Dorothy Hamilton http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQJ8WrKnLUs .

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I should be cured by then.
Good - then I can tell you about my new "incidents" ((2 of them) on the public right-of-ways at MCV - same attempted "rule" enforcement as before. Me had much fun!

One can cure that much ham in less than 48hrs?!?!? :banana:
Roscoe
It ain't the sugar cured kind. Salt cured and smoked - been hanging in a 'backy-barn for years :cool:

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
One can cure that much ham in less than 48hrs?!?!? :banana:

Roscoe

pix107049.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
For those that are directionally challenged enter 8996 Pole Green Park Lane, Mechanicsville, VA 23116 in your GPS

or

Click on this link for Google map directions from your starting point.

This is a really great event - ideal to bring family, friends, co-workers, and neighbors. Just in case it isn't clear, yes OC is fine - been there and done that. The Festival people are great.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
For those that are directionally challenged enter 8996 Pole Green Park Lane, Mechanicsville, VA 23116 in your GPS

or

Click on this link for Google map directions from your starting point.

This is a really great event - ideal to bring family, friends, co-workers, and neighbors. Just in case it isn't clear, yes OC is fine - been there and done that. The Festival people are great.

Wish I could make it Alas gotta work :cry:. A good mater sammich sounds good, Guess I'll have to hit one of the local farm stands for lunch.

va_tazdad

Although I would love to come,

July 13, 9 AM - 4 PM.

stay safe.

And see the debate rage on, I find it hard to believe the food would be worth the trip. Yes, I know all about the reputation of the great "Hanover" Tomato, (Sidestreet read me all the vendors that will be there ) but unless they have learned to grow them in Yellow and cut the acid I will have to pass.

My Grandfather (Pappy Yoder) introduced me to Yellow tomatoes at a very young age and I have been addicted ever since. NO substitutions excepted!

I have learned to cross the James for RCD breakfasts, but have to pass on Hanover for tomatoes.

PS, Hellman’s on Rye or Sourdough bread works best! “Miracle Whip” is not even in the running! (My wife and I have been having this same argument for about 36 years now.)

See you next week ;>)

Last edited:

scouser

And see the debate rage on, I find it hard to believe the food would be worth the trip. Yes, I know all about the reputation of the great "Hanover" Tomato, (Sidestreet read me all the vendors that will be there ) but unless they have learned to grow them in Yellow and cut the acid I will have to pass.

Mt Grandfather (Pappy Yoder) introduced me to Yellow tomatoes at a very young age and I have been addicted ever since. NO substitutions excepted!

I have learned to cross the James for RCD breakfasts, but have to pass on Hanover for tomatoes.

PS, Hellman’s on Rye or Sourdough bread works best! “Miracle Whip” is not even in the running! (My wife and I have been having this same argument for about 36 years now.)

See you next week ;>)

Hellman's / Duke's "I have no dog in this fight".

However, my wife's friends who now live somewhere "North of the Ni" ALWAYS insist on stocking up on Duke's on each and every occasion that they are back in this area