• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greater Richmond OC Breakfast Sat 7/13 takes to the road - Tomato Festival

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hellman's / Duke's "I have no dog in this fight".

However, my wife's friends who now live somewhere "North of the Ni" ALWAYS insist on stocking up on Duke's on each and every occasion that they are back in this area

For Logan from Hanover Tomato Festival
2012_7.jpg

They have a petting zoo too.

http://www.co.hanover.va.us/parksrec/tomatofest/photogallery.htm

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
And see the debate rage on, I find it hard to believe the food would be worth the trip. Yes, I know all about the reputation of the great "Hanover" Tomato, (Sidestreet read me all the vendors that will be there ) but unless they have learned to grow them in Yellow and cut the acid I will have to pass.

My Grandfather (Pappy Yoder) introduced me to Yellow tomatoes at a very young age and I have been addicted ever since. NO substitutions excepted!

I have learned to cross the James for RCD breakfasts, but have to pass on Hanover for tomatoes.

PS, Hellman’s on Rye or Sourdough bread works best! “Miracle Whip” is not even in the running! (My wife and I have been having this same argument for about 36 years now.)

See you next week ;>)

Come on out - they have yellow Hanovers too.

It ain't about the 'maters - It is about promoting self-defense :)

Think Attack of the Killer Tomatos.
http://killertomatoes.com/main.asp

scouser

They have a petting zoo too.

All we saw was 2 alpacas and they were so far behind the fence that Logan couldn't reach them. His 'petting zoo' experience was limited to riverrat10k's dog. We walked over to the fire truck, had a quick look and then headed towards the food area when he saw the playground so that occupied about an hour of our time before we tried to take a look at the medflight helicopter. We got within about 75ft of it and Logan decided that was as close as he wanted to be.

Then we shared a funnel cake until the plate had nothing but powdered sugar on it. I was about to carry it carefully to the trash can but my son had other ideas. He decided the plate would be better without the powdered sugar so he picked it up and tipped the sugar off the plate and all down the front of my shirt.

As the helicopter was taking off we were just getting back to the car and its flightpath took it right overhead of us, which got Logan all excited seeing it fly so close. Traffic trying to enter the park was backed up along Pole Green Rd all the way to Bell Creek as we were leaving, whereas we'd encountered no delays at all when we arrived.

TFred

A bit OT... for what its worth.

All we saw was 2 alpacas and they were so far behind the fence that Logan couldn't reach them.
If you want to see alpacas up close and friendly, check out the Upright Alpaca Farm, in Essex County. They are open for visitors a couple Saturdays per month. They are happy to show you around and introduce you to their herd, which includes several very young ones, which from just about any perspective, are quite cute. They have a small gift shop as well, which has items made from the shearing, and that is their income, no admission charge.

You do need to check with them to make sure which days they will be open.

TFred

67914_622436337775766_1524480351_n.jpg

thedevilrobyjohn

guns save lives

After I met up with peter nap and grape....me and mom were asked by at least 20 people where to get the vcdl stickers. I should have gotten a good amount of them myself to hand out...even standing with them New Yorkers and many many others wanted them....hot item....good time, no petting zoo so I had to buy a damn $20 rabbit puppet, thought there was a petting zoo....made it through everything then...2 cops on bikes set their sights on me and followed me , they talked back and forth then decided to not confront me....had many pleasant conversations...amazed the duncan pro yoyoer as I walked up and did some tricks with him.....I used to compete and demonstrate in the expert division...a yoyoer at the disney tent with two open pistols...you had to be there.....paid $6 for three tomatoes and $7 for a blt

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Now I am doubly disappointed at having had to miss the fun. Once because of the flare-up medical condition (not serious, just irritating to have it get in the way of life again) and again because I was not there to enjoy and participate in the fun.

I heard a rumor that our handsome videographer was given the finger. No, not that finger, the other one. It's possible he never felt so threatened before in his life.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Now I am doubly disappointed at having had to miss the fun. Once because of the flare-up medical condition (not serious, just irritating to have it get in the way of life again) and again because I was not there to enjoy and participate in the fun.

I heard a rumor that our handsome videographer was given the finger. No, not that finger, the other one. It's possible he never felt so threatened before in his life.

stay safe.

Gonna get more interesting too Skid. What they CLAIMED was a rule violation, was giving out stickers outside of a booth.....However,

If you check Mark Obenshain's Facebook page, he was doing exactly that and posted a picture of himself with stickers in hand.
I can't wait to see how the County explains that.

945075_589617924395022_2089249655_n.jpg

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Gonna get more interesting too Skid. What they CLAIMED was a rule violation, was giving out stickers outside of a booth.....However,

If you check Mark Obenshain's Facebook page, he was doing exactly that and posted a picture of himself with stickers in hand.
I can't wait to see how the County explains that.

The Jackson campaign was doing exactly the same thing by initiating contact and handing out leaflets. The campaign manager thanked us for identifying the pro self- defense people with the GSL stickers. :D

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'll play the video I took that from one day. The chant is "VERY BIG GUNS SAVE LIVES"....:lol:

There were several ladies there.:lol:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I think that guy in the background is up to sometrhing while Grape is being distracted.

;>)

That looks like riverrat - one of the usual suspects at OC breakfasts and an occassional dinner companion, as well as regular baiter of Chesterfield PD plainclothes cops who are trying to look innocuous at weekday breakfast and lunch by clumping together in herds of polo-wearing double-pleated khaki slacks afficianados. He also terrorizes the fish in both inland and off-shore waters.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
That looks like riverrat - one of the usual suspects at OC breakfasts and an occassional dinner companion, as well as regular baiter of Chesterfield PD plainclothes cops who are trying to look innocuous at weekday breakfast and lunch by clumping together in herds of polo-wearing double-pleated khaki slacks afficianados. He also terrorizes the fish in both inland and off-shore waters.

stay safe.

RR had his trusty Pup with him so he didn't stay too long (Too hot for the little four legged one's).

va_tazdad

37,000 people saw this smiling face

Grapeshot didn't have any politicians to hug.....but

http://www.herald-progress.com/?p=11717

"An estimated attendance of 37,000 puts this year’s Hanover Tomato Festival in the top-five most-attended festivals in the event’s 35-year history."

And one of the best Ambassadors of Open Carry was there spreading the word. Thanks Grapeshot. ;>)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
37,000 people saw GSL stickers

http://www.herald-progress.com/?p=11717

"An estimated attendance of 37,000 puts this year’s Hanover Tomato Festival in the top-five most-attended festivals in the event’s 35-year history."

And one of the best reminders of our Right to Defend Ourselves was everywhere. [highlight]Thanks everybody[/highlight]

Fixed it for you Tazdad.

We find strength in our numbers. The more people that sign up for the Va-Alerts, the more that join VCDL, the more that give of their time and money as the posters here have demonstrated countless times, the more effective we shall become. Someone once said, "We are a force to be reckoned with."

Saw a number of friends there: ever present Peter Nap, thedevilrobyjohn and his entire family, Scouser & Logan, Riverrat + others.

Interesting personal addendum to the article linked above - as I was leaving at 2:00, I placed a 911 call as a women had fallen out from the heat/humidity at the closed, permanent structure concession stand and (relative to traffic back-up) the cars were solid bumper to bumper all the way to Lee Davis highway.

Suggest that the organizers of this event plan for two (2) lanes of ingress and have a dedicated First Aid tent, not withstanding that there were plenty of potential first responders in the area - they did not respond to this medical emergency in a timely fashion.

See you there next year!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'm waiting for the County to explain how Cuccinelli, Jackson and Obenshain walking around (No booth, I checked) giving out stickers and soliciting votes...is somehow more protected than Grapeshot standing without soliciting and giving stickers to people who ask for them....

As a matter of fact, I'm waiting for several explanations from a County that is so proud of Patrick Henry who was born and raised there.

scouser

Interesting personal addendum to the article linked above - as I was leaving at 2:00, I placed a 911 call as a women had fallen out from the heat/humidity at the closed, permanent structure concession stand and (relative to traffic back-up) the cars were solid bumper to bumper all the way to Lee Davis highway.

Suggest that the organizers of this event plan for two (2) lanes of ingress and have a dedicated First Aid tent, not withstanding that there were plenty of potential first responders in the area - they did not respond to this medical emergency in a timely fashion.

See you there next year!

wasn't the EMS staging area just the other side of Pole Green Park Lane from that concession stand ? It's not like anyone would have far to go to help, someone would have been able to walk to her location to check on her