• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post Office violated man's rights by banning gun from parking lot, judge rules

Kopis

ive wondered about disarming in the parking lot or if i go to the airport and pick someone up but dont go in.

independence

Here's another link: http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...-office-violated-mans-rights-by#ixzz2YgUC9FoS

There are good reasons for barring weapons within the postal building itself, Matsch said. "An individual openly carrying a firearm may excite passions, or excited passions may lead to the use of the firearm.

That's the problem I always have with open carrying. I'm just so good looking that I tend to excite passions. :cool:

Someone could also attempt to take the firearm from its lawful carrier and use it for criminal purpose."

Glad this widely debated subject has been finally and authoritatively resolved by a federal judge who is obviously an expert in such things. :banana:

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
When and how those restraints may be applied has been and will be the subject of extensive litigation. In Peterson, 707 F.3d at 1201, the Tenth Circuit held that the scope of the Second Amendment’s protection does not include a right to carry a concealed firearm outside the home. That ruling is binding on this Court and defeats the Plaintiffs’ contention that Mr. Bonidy should be free to carry his concealed handgun on his person in the Avon Post Office and parking lot. But the Peterson panel did not address whether open carry of firearms outside the home is similarly unprotected; indeed, it explicitly declined to do so. See id. at 1208-09.

Those who believe in the primacy of collective security read Heller narrowly within the factual context in which the case arose. See discussion as to Part III.B in United States v. Masciandaro, 638 F.3d 458 (4th Cir. 2011); Piszczatoski v. Filko, 840 F. Supp. 2d 813 (D. N.J. 2012). Judge Posner persuasively discredited that reading by his textual analysis in the opinion deciding Moore v. Madigan, 702 F.3d 933 (7th Cir. 2012). Aside from the textual meaning of “bear arms,” he recognized the common-sense view that armed self-defense is important outside the home and that hunting takes place outside the home.

Accordingly, the Court concludes that the Second Amendment protects the right to openly carry firearms outside the home for a lawful purpose, subject to such restrictions as may be reasonably related to public safety.

In sum, openly carrying a firearm outside the home is a liberty protected by the Second Amendment.

http://www.mountainstateslegal.org/.../2013/07/09/bonidy-v.-usps-order#.Ud6yHEG1F8F

Last edited:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
these rules seem really absurd when you consider the fact that firearms can be shipped through the USPS. how does one comply with the rules of no firearms in post offices while shipping a firearm?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Differentiating the sensitivity of the parking lot from the sensitivity of the Post Office itself is a first step. It opens the way for challenging the sensitivity of the Post Office on grounds other that it has been a longstanding designation. The assertion that the Earth is flat was a longstanding assertion, as was the one about the sun revolving about the Earth. Over time, with challenges being repeated, they were successfully overturned.

I abhore the necessity of "baby steps" but sometimes that is all you can take. http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...chu414116.html

stay safe.