• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thanks to Litchfield PD for informing Airport Employees of our rights.

zombienerd

A neat little story of what happened to me the other day at the Manchester airport.

First off, I always open carry. I generally wear a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag single action on the left hip, and a Bersa Thunder 380 small of back for right hand (weak hand) backup.

I was at the Manchester airport, United Airlines service desk, attempting to file a damaged luggage report. The desk was busy, and I waited about 45 minutes before being helped. The counter worker told me she needed to get someone else, who was more knowledgeable on the subject, and I waited another 20 minutes for him to arrive.

When he walked up, the first thing he said was "are you a law enforcement officer?". To which I replied in the negative. He then proceeded to tell me (with nose in the air, believe it or not), that I could not carry my gun in the airport unless I was a LEO, as it was illegal. I calmly and kindly responded that I was well within my rights to open carry in the State of New Hampshire everywhere except a courtroom, and that he was mistaken. He insisted that I was committing a felony, and I should leave immediately. I asked him to show me the airport written policy on the matter.

He then pointed at the Airport Police door and said "you need to leave now, or I'm getting the police". I politely encouraged him to do so.

He walked into the office, and came out with an officer of the Litchfield PD. I wish I would have written down his name to pass it on here. The officer walked up and asked "Is there a problem here?" I stated "No, sir. This gentleman (motioning to the airport employee) seems slightly upset that I am open carrying my pistols" I kept my hands away from them, obviously. The officer rolled his eyes, looked at the employee and stated "New Hampshire is an open carry state, he can legally carry his pistols in whichever manner he likes wherever he has the right to be, with very few exceptions. He can't go through security with them, but he can be anywhere else in the airport".

The employee looked shocked, disgruntled, and angry at me, and then he said "Well I can't help you, I'll get someone else." and walked away. It was another 10 minutes before someone else was available to assist me.

This was the first time in my two+ years open carrying that I've had someone say a single negative word in regards to my carrying. I get the occasional compliment, the occasional odd glance, but never have I had someone run like a little girl to a police office to "rat me out" LOL.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO.

Great job on remaining cool in the face of [expletive deleted].

Kudos to the Litchfield officer. Try to find out his name (a phone call just might do the trick) and send a letter to his chief, along with a copy to him personally. Attaboys are hard to come by, and they brighten up a person's outlook for a long time.

Also try to find the name of the UA service person who, among other things, said "Well I can't help you, I'll get someone else." His supervisor may be very interested in his refusal to perform his job. You might mention the reason for him telling you that when you write to his supervisor. :uhoh:

It looks like not too many folks from New Hampster post on OCDO. They, like many other New Englanders, may hang out at Northeast Shooters. There's a number of meet&greet events posted over there - you may want to catch up with some other OCers if you do not already know who the others are near you.

stay safe.

jhfc

Great story and good to know there are cops out there who know and follow the law.

On the OC hand cannon of choice -- I was at an outdoor range once next to a guy with a Super Blackhawk, firing very hot loads. Every time he shot, the coke can on the table would violently shake from the concussion and eventually tipped over.

A dad showed up with his young son and started shooting their .22 rifles. They lasted through about 10 minutes of muzzle blast and cheek flattening before deciding that day/place wasn't the best idea.

zombienerd

Welcome to OCDO.

Great job on remaining cool in the face of [expletive deleted].

Kudos to the Litchfield officer. Try to find out his name (a phone call just might do the trick) and send a letter to his chief, along with a copy to him personally. Attaboys are hard to come by, and they brighten up a person's outlook for a long time.

Also try to find the name of the UA service person who, among other things, said "Well I can't help you, I'll get someone else." His supervisor may be very interested in his refusal to perform his job. You might mention the reason for him telling you that when you write to his supervisor. :uhoh:

It looks like not too many folks from New Hampster post on OCDO. They, like many other New Englanders, may hang out at Northeast Shooters. There's a number of meet&greet events posted over there - you may want to catch up with some other OCers if you do not already know who the others are near you.

stay safe.

I post on NE shooters on occasion. I don't visit forums as often as I used to, but when I have relevant information or something I need to vent about, they're the perfect spot :)

I might try to look him up to give him the attaboy, but it's pretty par for the course around here after there was an incident a few years back. The Chiefs and Mayors have put out bulletins to the LEO's in their areas about the legality of open carry. I can find that story if anyone is interested, it was a big black mark on the Manchester PD.

Great story and good to know there are cops out there who know and follow the law.

On the OC hand cannon of choice -- I was at an outdoor range once next to a guy with a Super Blackhawk, firing very hot loads. Every time he shot, the coke can on the table would violently shake from the concussion and eventually tipped over.

A dad showed up with his young son and started shooting their .22 rifles. They lasted through about 10 minutes of muzzle blast and cheek flattening before deciding that day/place wasn't the best idea.

I love my hand cannon :) My carry loads are Buffalo Bore Anti-Personnel 44 Mag. Ammo - 180 gr. Medium Cast HP-GC (1,550 fps)
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=244

I have fired the +P+ Buffalo Bore 340gr at the range, and they definitely pack a punch, and I'm used to the big loads.
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=54

countryclubjoe

A better ending to this story would be that the idiot ignorant airport employee be fired.

Best regards.

CCJ

doobie

The only technicality the MAY have been able to get you on..depends on the managers authority to ask you to leave. If he had authority to ask you to leave and you refused, you could be charged with trespassing...beyond that. good job!

zombienerd

I imagine you thanked him for defusing the situation instead, but either way, thanks for your reply.
Sieg Heil, sir Grammar Nazi, sir. I stand corrected. Easy mistake :)

The only technicality the MAY have been able to get you on..depends on the managers authority to ask you to leave. If he had authority to ask you to leave and you refused, you could be charged with trespassing...beyond that. good job!

MHT (Manchester-Boston Regional Airport) is owned by the city of Manchester, not a private company, therefore that scenario is impossible in this situation. I am aware of the force of law behind trespassing and private property, but it rarely is an issue in NH. Most businesses are smarter than to outright ask people who carry to vacate the premises, it's a quick way to take a large hit in the profit department around here.

doobie

MHT (Manchester-Boston Regional Airport) is owned by the city of Manchester, not a private company, therefore that scenario is impossible in this situation. I am aware of the force of law behind trespassing and private property, but it rarely is an issue in NH. Most businesses are smarter than to outright ask people who carry to vacate the premises, it's a quick way to take a large hit in the profit department around here.

I did not know MHT was a city owned airport...I thought it was privately owned...in that case....yeah it would not be the airlines asking for you to leave for trespass...

Mall's aren't smarter... but beyond malls I've never had problems anywhere else with OCing, except by silly police officers periodically...