Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Virginia credit union asked me to leave

Virginia credit union asked me to leave

Went to Virginia Credit Union on Brook Rd by Green Top to finish applying for the car loan my wife started. Got half way through the process when I had to go outalmost t my car to get some paperwork. Came back in when branch manager, Dendra Williams approached me about their no firearms policy. I told her it wasn't posted. She acknowledged and said her security manager said it was still policy. She said I could take it out to my car and return. I asked if I could finish my transaction. She said no, I said I don't like doing business with businesses that don't support my second amendment right. She agreed. Gave me her card to follow I if I wanted. I thanked the representative for her help and I left.

Not sure what I can do other than call the corporate office and complain that this is Virginia but that's not going to do me any good. My wife is certainly not happy but it's a standard.

I even searched here to see if anyone had any problems with them and didn't turn up any problems.

Don't go to Virginia Credit Union if you want a bank that supports your rights. As horrible as bank of America is at least I have never been asked to leave.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

I use Wells Fargo and USAA and can carry in both. Sorry to hear about your troubles but I will definitely not be visiting that bank.

Re: Virginia credit union asked me to leave

I guess the VCDL can add it to their "dint do business with" list.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Boy.... I'll bet you get Stir Fry for a while

Sorry for the problems!

Has anyone else had problems with VACU? I thought people had positive results there?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Never have had any problems OCing in VACU.

Don't know what the manager meant by her "security manager." Each branch to my knowledge does not have a security manager, best that they have is a private security officer.

Think I'd carry this one on up the food chain to corporate - my guess is that someone is misapplying employee policy.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Please remember that private businesses cannot infringe on your Second Amentment rights. Only governments can do that.

Sometimes it is difficult to frame the discussion on your feet as things are happening that make you feel upset. That's why "visualization" is recommended - think of it as dry fire practice for your mind and mouth.

Often it is better not to try and discuss/argue/debate the point with the person right then, right there. If that is the case, getting the person's name and rank (sure do miss them having serial numbers) and the contact info for the next step up the food chain is where things are better ended for the moment.

Please do follow up with VACU management. Their past policy has been to follow state law and allow OC unless specific behavior(s) warrant asking the person to leave.

Please share what you receive from the next level in the administrative hierarchy. Some of us have moved funds to VACU because of out former financial institutions' policies. They are not the only choice still open to us and while there may not be great sums in idividual accounts the aggregate sum may carry some weight when they consider their final response. (Presuming we could get a consensus around here on anything.)

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Never have had any problems OCing in VACU.
    Ditto. Though I haven't been inside a branch in a few years now bc of online banking and such.

Sent from my banthaphone.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    I've OC'd at the VACU on Glenside numerous times and never heard boo from anyone.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

When I call tomorrow what do I say? I mean is there some sort of speech someone has prepared for how to handle talking to higher managers about policy and how it applies in the situation that happened? I'm going to try to call but I'm worried I am on going to be able to get anywhere.

Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by JesterP99 View Post
    When I call tomorrow what do I say? I mean is there some sort of speech someone has prepared for how to handle talking to higher managers about policy and how it applies in the situation that happened? I'm going to try to call but I'm worried I am on going to be able to get anywhere.

Time will tell.

Hello
    My name is Jester
    We have an account with you and I need to make sure your policy regarding legally armed citizens is to follow state law.

Is that correct?

Thanks, I thought that was right. Now let me tell you about this nasty old battleax that tossed me out yesterday.

Time will tell.

There is no canned speech - just be professional and pleasant.

Explain that you are a bank customer as are a great number of your friends and think that there may be some confusion in one of their branches pertaining to bank policy/rules.

When you selected them, it was your understanding that VACU honored the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia regarding a legal honest person carrying a personal handgun. You understand that it is their right as a private property owner to allow this or not.

Give a brief synopsis (with names of the people involved) of what happened w/o any rancor or irritation in your voice. Answer any questions the person may have. At this point you might state that you were very embarrassed by the treatment and quite disappointed that they would force a customer to leave, but do so softly. You can tell a lot by how the other person responds initially - if you get good answers right up front, don't belabor the point.

I'd be very surprised if the matter was not cleared up immediately. If so, thank the person with whom you spoke, and proceed with your business - don't forget to smile at the branch manager next time you see her - even stop to discuss the misunderstanding pleasantly. She'll remember you and you will become a preferred customer.

If not resolved, move on up the corporate ladder, but in this case I doubt it will be necessary - VACU has been very accepting for years.

Let us know how this works out.

Make sure you get the name and contact number of the person(s) with whom you speak.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Peter is feeling much better - you can tell by the expression on his face

Explain that you are a bank customer as are a great number of your friends and think that there may be some confusion in one of their branches pertaining to bank policy/rules.

When you selected them, it was your understanding that VACU honored the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia regarding a legal honest person carrying a personal handgun. You understand that it is their right as a private property owner to allow this or not.

Do not ask for permission. It's sort of a mantra around here.

Give a brief synopsis (with names of the people involved) of what happened w/o any rancor or irritation in your voice. Answer any questions the person may have. At this point you might state that you were very embarrassed by the treatment and quite disappointed that they would force a customer to leave, but do so softly. You can tell a lot by how the other person responds initially - if you get good answers right up front, don't belabor the point.

I'd be very surprised if the matter was not cleared up immediately. If so, thank the person with whom you spoke, and proceed with your business - don't forget to smile at the branch manager next time you see her - even stop to discuss the misunderstanding pleasantly. She'll remember you and you will become a preferred customer.

If not resolved, move on up the corporate ladder, but in this case I doubt it will be necessary - VACU has been very accepting for years.

Make sure you get the name and contact number of the person(s) with whom you speak.
    Fixed it for you.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Exclamation Suggest all stand by

I've reached out to a friend who may be in a position to help resolve, or at least clarify this issue.

Suggest all stand by until I hear back.

TFred
    Last edited by TFred; 07-12-2013 at 02:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    I've reached out to a friend who may be in a position to help resolve, or at least clarify this issue.

TFred
    Will wait, the price is right.

Working late again? - one more and we'll have a quorem

This is perfect. I am going to try to make time in my work day to call over there. The lady said I was scared some of the patrons but I just spent 15 minutes before that talking to a nice lady and another guy after they asked about carry laws.

Anyway I'll keep everyone updated.

Delete
    Last edited by richarcm; 07-12-2013 at 12:03 PM.

TFred
    Friend has engaged. Awaiting response.

TFred

Standing by.....

This one gets personal if not resolved. I would not want to have to move our accounts.
    Appleseed, Virginia State Coordinator
    Are you a Rifleman yet?
    http://appleseedinfo.org

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Please remember that private businesses cannot infringe on your Second Amentment rights. Only governments can do that.
    I've said it before, but this is BS when the Feds can make me do all sorts of things in my private business to accomodate the handicapped, minorities, etc. that do NOT get a mention in the CONUS or BOR. If I have a "human/natural right" how can a business deny it?

Stepping of well worn soapbox.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

UPDATE**

Just received a personal call from the Executive Vice President, Chris Shockley. (by the way, he's reading this due to Google alerts) He said that wanted to apologize for any confusion that occurred yesterday. He told me that there is not an exact "policy" prohibiting carry just that they are trying to find a balance between anti-gun and pro-freedom patrons. He said that it's "their preference" that I do not carry but it is not policy.

I then wanted to clarify whether that meant I was would be asked to disarm the next time I visit and he said no, I can still carry.

He mentioned that there has been armed robberies in the past and he has received complaints from other members in the past about feeling uncomfortable. I let him know that I take the safety of my wife and myself very personally.

He then asked me if the unfortunate, unlikely event of a robbery took place that I would use discretion in my actions.

I believe this outcome satisfactorily answers my questions and concerns and then some, Chris was very polite and answered all my questions.

Ps, I am glad I was polite when writing my first post. It was a surprise hearing that he saw the thread from a Google alert.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

UPDATE**

Just received a personal call from the Executive Vice President, Chris Shockley. (by the way, he's reading this due to Google alerts) He said that wanted to apologize for any confusion that occurred yesterday. He told me that there is not an exact "policy" prohibiting carry just that they are trying to find a balance between anti-gun and pro-freedom patrons. He said that it's "their preference" that I do not carry but it is not policy.

I then wanted to clarify whether that meant I was would be asked to disarm the next time I visit and he said no, I can still carry.

He mentioned that there has been armed robberies in the past and he has received complaints from other members in the past about feeling uncomfortable. I let him know that I take the safety of my wife and myself very personally.

He then asked me if the unfortunate, unlikely event of a robbery took place that I would use discretion in my actions.

I believe this outcome satisfactorily answers my questions and concerns and then some, Chris was very polite and answered all my questions.

Ps, I am glad I was polite when writing my first post. It was a surprise hearing that he saw the thread from a Google alert.

Jester I have Google alert that lets me know if something shows self defense and firearm. I suppose it could be set up to show things like VCDL, Virginia Credit Union, VACU, etc..
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

UPDATE**

Well done Gentlemen...and I mean everyone involved, and thank you Mr. Shockley!

Friend has engaged. Awaiting response.

TFred
    Mission accomplished. Carry on.

TFred

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast