• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia credit union asked me to leave

paramedic70002

Please remember that private businesses cannot infringe on your Second Amentment rights. Only governments can do that.

I've said it before, but this is BS when the Feds can make me do all sorts of things in my private business to accomodate the handicapped, minorities, etc. that do NOT get a mention in the CONUS or BOR. If I have a "human/natural right" how can a business deny it?

Stepping of well worn soapbox.

JesterP99

UPDATE**

Just received a personal call from the Executive Vice President, Chris Shockley. (by the way, he's reading this due to Google alerts) He said that wanted to apologize for any confusion that occurred yesterday. He told me that there is not an exact "policy" prohibiting carry just that they are trying to find a balance between anti-gun and pro-freedom patrons. He said that it's "their preference" that I do not carry but it is not policy.

I then wanted to clarify whether that meant I was would be asked to disarm the next time I visit and he said no, I can still carry.

He mentioned that there has been armed robberies in the past and he has received complaints from other members in the past about feeling uncomfortable. I let him know that I take the safety of my wife and myself very personally.

He then asked me if the unfortunate, unlikely event of a robbery took place that I would use discretion in my actions.

I believe this outcome satisfactorily answers my questions and concerns and then some, Chris was very polite and answered all my questions.

Ps, I am glad I was polite when writing my first post. It was a surprise hearing that he saw the thread from a Google alert.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
UPDATE**

Just received a personal call from the Executive Vice President, Chris Shockley. (by the way, he's reading this due to Google alerts) He said that wanted to apologize for any confusion that occurred yesterday. He told me that there is not an exact "policy" prohibiting carry just that they are trying to find a balance between anti-gun and pro-freedom patrons. He said that it's "their preference" that I do not carry but it is not policy.

I then wanted to clarify whether that meant I was would be asked to disarm the next time I visit and he said no, I can still carry.

He mentioned that there has been armed robberies in the past and he has received complaints from other members in the past about feeling uncomfortable. I let him know that I take the safety of my wife and myself very personally.

He then asked me if the unfortunate, unlikely event of a robbery took place that I would use discretion in my actions.

I believe this outcome satisfactorily answers my questions and concerns and then some, Chris was very polite and answered all my questions.

Ps, I am glad I was polite when writing my first post. It was a surprise hearing that he saw the thread from a Google alert.

Jester I have Google alert that lets me know if something shows self defense and firearm. I suppose it could be set up to show things like VCDL, Virginia Credit Union, VACU, etc..

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
UPDATE**

Well done Gentlemen...and I mean everyone involved, and thank you Mr. Shockley!

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I've said it before, but this is BS when the Feds can make me do all sorts of things in my private business to accomodate the handicapped, minorities, etc. that do NOT get a mention in the CONUS or BOR. If I have a "human/natural right" how can a business deny it?

Two wrongs do not make a right...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
UPDATE**

Just received a personal call from the Executive Vice President, Chris Shockley. --snipped--

Jester I have Google alert that lets me know if something shows self defense and firearm. I suppose it could be set up to show things like VCDL, Virginia Credit Union, VACU, etc..
Well done Gentlemen...and I mean everyone involved, and thank you Mr. Shockley!
Mission accomplished. Carry on.
Ladies and gentleman.

Here is an excellent example of handling things the right way (pun intended): responsibly, professionally, and courteously. Thanks to all for your input.
icon14.png

Also, the next time someone says that the readers of this forum are "all adults here" or "I have a right to speak my mind/give opinions" you will perhaps see my reaction in a different light. The readership is not just registered users - we draw an amazing cross section representation of all people....to their credit and ours. So take the high road in your postings and contribute positively. To other people, we are what they perceive us to be.

Old Virginia Joe

Wow!

Now, this right here is a GREAT point, folks! I had never thought of this. I always understood the distinction, but WHY is that distinction legal? How can some civil rights be mandatory, and others only apply to government? Has this ever come up before? I think this would make a great thread by itself, my Franklin neighbor!

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Now, this right here is a GREAT point, folks! I had never thought of this. I always understood the distinction, but WHY is that distinction legal? How can some civil rights be mandatory, and others only apply to government? Has this ever come up before? I think this would make a great thread by itself, my Franklin neighbor!

This is a good point. I had never thought of it.

Folks also have a civil/human right to pray to Mecca and to advocate for NAMBLA. I guess I just never realized I had to let them do these things in the middle of my business. That's pretty cool, huh?

Rights, properly understood, sure are awesome, ain't they?

Last edited:

TFred

The concept has been discussed or at least broached many times before. It's the concept of "protected classes". The reality of our situation today is that gun owners, or people who choose to legally carry a firearm for self-defense, are not a protected class.

See the Wiki article on Protected Class for the list of those special folks.

I would submit that firearms carriers have been discriminated against in many ways similar to those on that list, but I would guess there is absolutely no chance to ever have the class added to this list.

TFred

papa bear

Please remember that private businesses cannot infringe on your Second Amentment rights. Only governments can do that.

Sometimes it is difficult to frame the discussion on your feet as things are happening that make you feel upset. That's why "visualization" is recommended - think of it as dry fire practice for your mind and mouth.

Often it is better not to try and discuss/argue/debate the point with the person right then, right there. If that is the case, getting the person's name and rank (sure do miss them having serial numbers) and the contact info for the next step up the food chain is where things are better ended for the moment.

Please do follow up with VACU management. Their past policy has been to follow state law and allow OC unless specific behavior(s) warrant asking the person to leave.

Please share what you receive from the next level in the administrative hierarchy. Some of us have moved funds to VACU because of out former financial institutions' policies. They are not the only choice still open to us and while there may not be great sums in idividual accounts the aggregate sum may carry some weight when they consider their final response. (Presuming we could get a consensus around here on anything.)

stay safe.

LOCKMAN, SKID gives good advice here. just relax and follow through, you might be surprised and find out that this branch manager is wrong, probably not but here's hoping

SKIDMARK, your first part of your post is wrong. i had thought about PM you but i feel that the public needs to read about this. there is no private property rights in the US and a business especially does not have any rights out side of the law. there have been lots of cases where individuals were charged with violating rights of others. i don't want to HJ this thread so if you want i will post a thread on the subject

TFred

SKIDMARK, your first part of your post is wrong. i had thought about PM you but i feel that the public needs to read about this. there is no private property rights in the US and a business especially does not have any rights out side of the law. there have been lots of cases where individuals were charged with violating rights of others. i don't want to HJ this thread so if you want i will post a thread on the subject
Many people on this forum place property rights well above the right to defend oneself, you might ought to start that thread...

TFred

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Remaining on topic - the worst private business/idividuals can do is conspire to deprive you of civil rights. They cannot actually violate your rights. But SCOTUS has established several protected classes (race, sex, age, gender to name a few) that you can get a harsher/inhanced penalty for if you conspire to deprive them ....

Or were you trying to say that a person does not have any rights from private property owners/private business? (Not sure I'm saying that clearly enough myself.)

Please let know when you start the thread in General Discussiom. I'd love to play for exciting prizes and parting gifts.

stay safe.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Many people on this forum place property rights well above the right to defend oneself, you might ought to start that thread...

TFred

Nonsense.

Rights, properly understood, do not overlap. It doesn't take a preference for property rights to realize that my self-defense rights exist alongside others' property rights.

Y'all act like this is actually an issue. There are literally thousands of business of every sort eager to accept your cash. In my opinion, a person is a fool to force another to take his money.

TFred

Nonsense.

Rights, properly understood, do not overlap. It doesn't take a preference for property rights to realize that my self-defense rights exist alongside others' property rights.

Y'all act like this is actually an issue. There are literally thousands of business of every sort eager to accept your cash. In my opinion, a person is a fool to force another to take his money.
Saying "nonsense" does not make it so.

It is WELL documented in dozens of discussion threads on this forum that many folks proudly place higher value on the right of the property owner to deny one the ability to carry a self-defensive firearm than they do on the right for one to carry a self-defensive firearm against the property owner's wish.

This is fact, and really cannot be disputed, no matter how many times you say "nuh uh".

TFred

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Saying "nonsense" does not make it so.

It is WELL documented in dozens of discussion threads on this forum that many folks proudly place higher value on the right of the property owner to deny one the ability to carry a self-defensive firearm than they do on the right for one to carry a self-defensive firearm against the property owner's wish.

This is fact, and really cannot be disputed, no matter how many times you say "nuh uh".

TFred

It is not an extension of my self-defense rights to force others to allow me on their property.

Sorry. It just isn't. This is how I can be more concerned with self-defense rights, and still not agree with abrogation of others' property rights. My right to be armed where I please ends where your property line begins.

You can tell me till the cows come home what my values are, and I can assure you that you haven't the slightest clue what's in my head, except what I tell you.

And it's not like property rights don't matter at all.

Last edited:

Maverick9

UPDATE**

THIS IS HILARIOUS. He admits there have been bank robberies while saying he prefers you are unable to protect yourself if he had his druthers...sort of.

I hope you said 'if your bank is robbed, don't look at me, you're insured aren't you?'.

JesterP99

I hope you said 'if your bank is robbed, don't look at me, you're insured aren't you?'.

I said something of the nature, like, I am not a law enforcement officer, I only carry to protect my life and that I would only act if I felt my life was in danger.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2