• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia credit union asked me to leave

JesterP99

Went to Virginia Credit Union on Brook Rd by Green Top to finish applying for the car loan my wife started. Got half way through the process when I had to go outalmost t my car to get some paperwork. Came back in when branch manager, Dendra Williams approached me about their no firearms policy. I told her it wasn't posted. She acknowledged and said her security manager said it was still policy. She said I could take it out to my car and return. I asked if I could finish my transaction. She said no, I said I don't like doing business with businesses that don't support my second amendment right. She agreed. Gave me her card to follow I if I wanted. I thanked the representative for her help and I left.

Not sure what I can do other than call the corporate office and complain that this is Virginia but that's not going to do me any good. My wife is certainly not happy but it's a standard.

I even searched here to see if anyone had any problems with them and didn't turn up any problems.

Don't go to Virginia Credit Union if you want a bank that supports your rights. As horrible as bank of America is at least I have never been asked to leave.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

XDS45

I use Wells Fargo and USAA and can carry in both. Sorry to hear about your troubles but I will definitely not be visiting that bank.

JesterP99

I guess the VCDL can add it to their "dint do business with" list.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Never have had any problems OCing in VACU.

Don't know what the manager meant by her "security manager." Each branch to my knowledge does not have a security manager, best that they have is a private security officer.

Think I'd carry this one on up the food chain to corporate - my guess is that someone is misapplying employee policy.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Please remember that private businesses cannot infringe on your Second Amentment rights. Only governments can do that.

Sometimes it is difficult to frame the discussion on your feet as things are happening that make you feel upset. That's why "visualization" is recommended - think of it as dry fire practice for your mind and mouth.

Often it is better not to try and discuss/argue/debate the point with the person right then, right there. If that is the case, getting the person's name and rank (sure do miss them having serial numbers) and the contact info for the next step up the food chain is where things are better ended for the moment.

Please do follow up with VACU management. Their past policy has been to follow state law and allow OC unless specific behavior(s) warrant asking the person to leave.

Please share what you receive from the next level in the administrative hierarchy. Some of us have moved funds to VACU because of out former financial institutions' policies. They are not the only choice still open to us and while there may not be great sums in idividual accounts the aggregate sum may carry some weight when they consider their final response. (Presuming we could get a consensus around here on anything.)

stay safe.

JesterP99

When I call tomorrow what do I say? I mean is there some sort of speech someone has prepared for how to handle talking to higher managers about policy and how it applies in the situation that happened? I'm going to try to call but I'm worried I am on going to be able to get anywhere.

Time will tell.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
When I call tomorrow what do I say? I mean is there some sort of speech someone has prepared for how to handle talking to higher managers about policy and how it applies in the situation that happened? I'm going to try to call but I'm worried I am on going to be able to get anywhere.

Time will tell.

Hello
My name is Jester
We have an account with you and I need to make sure your policy regarding legally armed citizens is to follow state law.

Is that correct?

Thanks, I thought that was right. Now let me tell you about this nasty old battleax that tossed me out yesterday.:lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Time will tell.

There is no canned speech - just be professional and pleasant.

Explain that you are a bank customer as are a great number of your friends and think that there may be some confusion in one of their branches pertaining to bank policy/rules.

When you selected them, it was your understanding that VACU honored the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia regarding a legal honest person carrying a personal handgun. You understand that it is their right as a private property owner to allow this or not.

Give a brief synopsis (with names of the people involved) of what happened w/o any rancor or irritation in your voice. Answer any questions the person may have. At this point you might state that you were very embarrassed by the treatment and quite disappointed that they would force a customer to leave, but do so softly. You can tell a lot by how the other person responds initially - if you get good answers right up front, don't belabor the point.

I'd be very surprised if the matter was not cleared up immediately. If so, thank the person with whom you spoke, and proceed with your business - don't forget to smile at the branch manager next time you see her - even stop to discuss the misunderstanding pleasantly. She'll remember you and you will become a preferred customer.

If not resolved, move on up the corporate ladder, but in this case I doubt it will be necessary - VACU has been very accepting for years.

Let us know how this works out.

Make sure you get the name and contact number of the person(s) with whom you speak.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Explain that you are a bank customer as are a great number of your friends and think that there may be some confusion in one of their branches pertaining to bank policy/rules.

When you selected them, it was your understanding that VACU honored the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia regarding a legal honest person carrying a personal handgun. [strike]You understand that it is their right as a private property owner to allow this or not.[/strike]

Do not ask for permission. It's sort of a mantra around here.

Give a brief synopsis (with names of the people involved) of what happened w/o any rancor or irritation in your voice. Answer any questions the person may have. At this point you might state that you were very embarrassed by the treatment and quite disappointed that they would force a customer to leave, but do so softly. You can tell a lot by how the other person responds initially - if you get good answers right up front, don't belabor the point.

I'd be very surprised if the matter was not cleared up immediately. If so, thank the person with whom you spoke, and proceed with your business - don't forget to smile at the branch manager next time you see her - even stop to discuss the misunderstanding pleasantly. She'll remember you and you will become a preferred customer.

If not resolved, move on up the corporate ladder, but in this case I doubt it will be necessary - VACU has been very accepting for years.

Make sure you get the name and contact number of the person(s) with whom you speak.

Fixed it for you.

stay safe.

TFred

Suggest all stand by

I've reached out to a friend who may be in a position to help resolve, or at least clarify this issue.

Suggest all stand by until I hear back.

TFred

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I've reached out to a friend who may be in a position to help resolve, or at least clarify this issue.

Suggest all stand by until I hear back.

TFred

Will wait, the price is right.

Working late again? - one more and we'll have a quorem :p

JesterP99

When you selected them, it was your understanding that VACU honored the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia regarding a legal honest person carrying a personal handgun. You understand that it is their right as a private property owner to allow this or not.

This is perfect. I am going to try to make time in my work day to call over there. The lady said I was scared some of the patrons but I just spent 15 minutes before that talking to a nice lady and another guy after they asked about carry laws.

Anyway I'll keep everyone updated.