Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Oc in Maine. Around Portland/south Portland/standish areas.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    South Portland maine
    Posts
    3

    Oc in Maine. Around Portland/south Portland/standish areas.

    I'm new to all of this. So please bare with me.

    I want to oc but I want to know what I can and can't do.

    I know with out my ccp I can't have it loaded in my vehicle and such.
    But I can legally walk down the streets of Portland with my pistol loaded and ready to fire, in a holster on my hip on the outside of my clothes?

    And as long as in my vehicle my weapon is visible and I alert any officer that I have a weapon in my vehicle, I should be fine?

    Are there many stores in the Portland/south Portland areas that will kick me out for open carry?

    Any information will help. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lyman, Maine
    Posts
    905
    Yes you can walk down the streets anywhere in Maine loaded as long as the firearm is visible. I've never been kicked out of any of the stores in Portland/South Portland area for OCing and I do it OFTEN. Unload in a vehicle until you get your permit. Ammo can be loaded in magazine, but the mag cannot be in the gun and the chamber must be empty.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    South Portland maine
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout399 View Post
    Yes you can walk down the streets anywhere in Maine loaded as long as the firearm is visible. I've never been kicked out of any of the stores in Portland/South Portland area for OCing and I do it OFTEN. Unload in a vehicle until you get your permit. Ammo can be loaded in magazine, but the mag cannot be in the gun and the chamber must be empty.
    And it needs to be visible in the vehicle? I've been told I should just leave it on the passengers seat. But I often have passengers. Wha should I do in that situation?

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lyman, Maine
    Posts
    905
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrx1991 View Post
    And it needs to be visible in the vehicle? I've been told I should just leave it on the passengers seat. But I often have passengers. Wha should I do in that situation?
    Yes it is supposed to be visible in the vehicle. Put it in the cupholder between you, toss it on the back seat, whatever...

  5. #5
    Regular Member Freiheit417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout399 View Post
    Yes it is supposed to be visible in the vehicle. Put it in the cupholder between you, toss it on the back seat, whatever...
    One minor point for the OP - make sure it's secured in the open though. If it's tossed on the back seat and you hit the brakes, pistol could slide under front seat and now it's concealed.
    America, where freedom* reigns.

    *Freedom subject to change depending on jurisdiction and availability. Some freedoms may not be available due to local political expedience or prevailing political correctness. Please check Federal, State, County, City, or any other special district for applicable laws governing the extents of freedoms prior to purchase.

    -----------

    “What you see is the fringe of the fringe showing up in Hartford today." - Danny Malloy a.k.a. "The Governor" 3/11/2013

  6. #6
    Regular Member CCinMaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Windham, Maine
    Posts
    193

    Re: Oc in Maine. Around Portland/south Portland/standish areas.

    There is no duty to inform the officer either. You can if you want too, but I don't whether I OC or cc.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •