• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

USPS and Carry

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Fortunately I don't have to worry about this at my local post office. I can park, walk on the sidewalk right in front of the PO, and use their mail drop off box and am breaking no federal laws.

Works well as long as you don't need to pick up any mail. The plaintiff in the case lived where there was no RFD mailbox delivery - no choice but to go inside the PO to open his box to get all the groccery coupons and satallite tv offers. OBTW - about half the gun-stuff suppliers ship by USPS, which adds to the number of times you might want to go inside the PO.

stay safe.

cjohnson44546

Thanks!

Some day they're going to have to address the elephant in the room that a restriction to only "official purposes" does violate the Second Amendment. And at the same time the twin elephant, that "lawful purposes" DOES include otherwise legal carry for self-defense...

This is one more chip off the block.

TFred
That will never happen.

The government is held accountable to the constitution by another part of the same government, that is appointed by the government that breaks it... basically, the judges who make the ruling are lap dogs of those breaking the constitution... so they twist everything how they want it, instead of how it is, and claim it whichever way they want it to be. I don't see how this will ever change.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Works well as long as you don't need to pick up any mail. The plaintiff in the case lived where there was no RFD mailbox delivery - no choice but to go inside the PO to open his box to get all the groccery coupons and satallite tv offers. OBTW - about half the gun-stuff suppliers ship by USPS, which adds to the number of times you might want to go inside the PO.

stay safe.

Yep, I am aware of that.

user

Accomplished Advocate
My only problem with all that is that Congress has already declared what the law is regarding just plain folks carrying firearms into "federal facilities". The USPS regulation purports to operate "notwithstanding any law to the contrary", placing themselves above the Government of the United States as supreme sovereign, able to dictate what's what irrespective of what Congress and the President have enacted as law. The USPS doesn't really have the authority to dictate terms to non-employees that exceed the scope of the law. When a statute expressly states the terms that apply, the presumption is that Congress meant what it said and that the President endorsed it. If they meant to allow greater intrusions into our freedoms, they'd have said so. "Expressio unius alterius exclusio est." (The expression of one thing is the exclusion of all others.) Except where Congress has specifically delegated legislative authority to an agency by law (e.g., the Pure Food and Drug Act), that agency has no greater power than the President to tell folks what to do or how to do it. That's why the USPS has no authority over guns in the public parking lots.

The buildings, however, in which U.S. employees routinely do their work, are "federal facilities" under 18 USC 922, so, when there's a sign conspicuously posted or for some other reason one has actual notice of the prohibition, he can be convicted of a crime for carrying a firearm into the post office itself.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
User -

Just to stir up the waters even more -

USPS is a "quasi-governmental" entity. Depending on their whim and what they want they claim to be privatized but retaining the government monopoly on delivery of First Class mail, and of insertion of any and all matter into RFD mailboxes/household letter boxes.

So, is "quasi-governmental" sufficient under the law to claim to be a government facility. (Don't care what USPS says, want to know what the law says. Especially since one judge seems to have decided that at one post office the front part where government employees regualrly perform their assigned duties does not meet that definition.)

stay safe.

Blk97F150

Would you suggest that it would make more sense to post the link to the audio recording of the trial in a new thread, with no context whatsoever? How is that better?

TFred

I didn't suggest anything. Stop trying to put words into peoples posts.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by TFred

Would you suggest that it would make more sense to post the link to the audio recording of the trial in a new thread, with no context whatsoever? How is that better?

TFred

I didn't suggest anything. Stop trying to put words into peoples posts.
Gentlemen - if you please.

Both were speaking hypothetically. See no intended insult.

TFred

Gentlemen - if you please.

Both were speaking hypothetically. See no intended insult.
I'm just saying... when people complain of reviving old posts, it's usually because there is no reason for doing so. This post was updated with the audio of the oral arguments for the case that it was about. How is that a bad thing? What would the complainer have the poster do that would be better?

What other possible reason could one have to throw out the word "necropost?"

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Come on you two. You're both established and well respected members here.
We have lots better things to fight about. :lol:

user

Accomplished Advocate
User -

Just to stir up the waters even more -

USPS is a "quasi-governmental" entity. Depending on their whim and what they want they claim to be privatized but retaining the government monopoly on delivery of First Class mail, and of insertion of any and all matter into RFD mailboxes/household letter boxes.

So, is "quasi-governmental" sufficient under the law to claim to be a government facility. (Don't care what USPS says, want to know what the law says. Especially since one judge seems to have decided that at one post office the front part where government employees regualrly perform their assigned duties does not meet that definition.)

stay safe.

Yes.

The United States Postal Service shall be operated as a basic and fundamental service provided to the people by the Government of the United States, authorized by the Constitution, created by Act of Congress, and supported by the people. ...

U.S. Code 39 U.S.C. § 101; and:

There is established, as an independent establishment of the executive branch of the Government of the United States, the United States Postal Service.

U.S. Code 39 U.S.C. § 201.

Last edited: