• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sheep Pasture 2

T

>The_Liberal<

Grapeshot,
In this type of open forum it is impossible to censor someone. I could always come back. I'd also like to know why this post doesn't count as LEO bashing. On the other hand if I did offend any police out there I do apologize for it.

MKEgal, would you please clarify how you interpret "automatic pistol" from the previous discussion I'm seeing a couple different definitions out on the internet.

That said, I read the gun facts file and it doesn't specifically address how carrying a gun makes someone safer. Could I ask the rest of you why it's better to be walking around with loaded semi-automatic handguns when it seems to be more dangerous to do so?

Maverick9

...That said, I read the gun facts file and it doesn't specifically address how carrying a gun makes someone safer. Could I ask the rest of you why it's better to be walking around with loaded semi-automatic handguns when it seems to be more dangerous to do so?

It made me 'safer' in that I'm more circumspect, calmer, more likely to blow off an insult, or a driving incursion. I will not go to places that are risky, partly because I don't want to be provoked. I'm more aware of dangerous situations than before having contemplated them.

Perhaps you think it's dangerous in the way carrying a handgrenade with a teflon pin might be risky. But after several years of carrying with a round in the chamber I have no greater fear than I do driving a 2 ton vehicle (admittedly with air bags) 70 mph on the interstate, in fact it's a LOT safer. Guns just don't jump out of holsters and go *bang*. (Research modern handguns and striker block safeties, for example).

Maybe if you're more specific as to how it's more dangerous? The chief danger is carrying in an area where the law enforcement community is reactionary, in my view. Being very non-threatening looking I mostly get kind looks and smiles from staties at gun shows.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
MKEgal, would you please clarify how you interpret "automatic pistol" Web definitions
a pistol that will keep firing until the ammunition is gone or the trigger is released.
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

That said, I read the gun facts file and it doesn't specifically address how carrying a gun makes someone safer. Could I ask the rest of you why it's better to be walking around with loaded semi-automatic handguns when it seems to be more dangerous to do so?

In part one, many people who are unfamiliar with weapons mix the "auto" and "semi-auto" concept. The words are easily mixed and throw a rather large misnomer around. an "auto" is a machine gun and they are highly regulated(not illegal). Most of us carry "semi-autos" (or revolvers) that will only dispense one round per application of trigger. This is not a minor point.

In part two.......I looked at your "more dangerous" reference. You must not accept everything you hear or read as "gospel". Look closely at who is making the assertions of "more dangerous". There are those who will tell you only partial truth (really, there are people like that) or "truth" to fit their argument

Wouldn't someone be alarmed by something.......
If so, Wouldn't children be afraid of someone carrying a loaded handgun out in the open?
I am old. I grew up with weapons in my life and saw them as tools. Why would you teach a child to fear an inanimate object? Why would you not teach a child to be able to deal with life? Today, there are people who fear weapons and believe that everyone else should too.

(on calling the police)
(1) One should probably call them. 911 Is set up to work even on phone that don't normally work.

(2) I'm too busy teaching them not to be fearful and ignorant of people. If something is dangerous you should respect and fear it.

(3) Would it be too much to ask to at lease carry just automatic handguns than the semi-automatic guns used in so many mass-shootings that spray-fired many people during those tragic events?

(4) Or maybe not use assault clips that carry up 100 bullets?

1. Bad guy assaulting me....phone in left hand...gun in right hand...which one to use???
2. So...you are tooo busy. If it is dangerous, respect it, learn it, do not fear it.
3. See my first line. You are demonstrating that you have no knowledge of firearms. They do not "spray" bullets. That is a media boilerplate expression to instill fear in the public.
4. Again, your lack of information is showing. No such thing as an "assault clip". The little box the bullets go in are called magazines.

Welcome to OCDO. I hope you stay around long enough to understand that we are not "bad people". We are Moms and Dads and Cooks and truck drivers. Just regular folks who are armed, once again, and living normal lives.

SFCRetired

Grapeshot,
In this type of open forum it is impossible to censor someone. I could always come back. I'd also like to know why this post doesn't count as LEO bashing. On the other hand if I did offend any police out there I do apologize for it.

MKEgal, would you please clarify how you interpret "automatic pistol" from the previous discussion I'm seeing a couple different definitions out on the internet.

1. That particular post addressed the actions of one part of one department and did not paint every police officer in the nation with the same brush. That, IMHO, is not "LEO bashing" because it is directed at only those whose motives were questionable.

2. Not MKEgal, but I have heard the terms "automatic" and "semi-automatic" used interchangeably many times. By strict definition, "automatic" means that the weapon fires multiple times with one trigger pull. "Semi-automatic" requires a trigger pull for each round fired.

3. I am far safer walking around openly carrying a loaded semi-automatic handgun for the simple reason that, without it, there is that element of our society who would see me as an old, somewhat decrepit, soft target and would act accordingly. With it, their point of view seems to change drastically. As evidence of this, I have been approached several times by individuals that I would classify as, at best, "shady". Upon seeing my holstered handgun, they, without saying a word, turned around and left.

Last point: Whether it is safer or not, whether it disturbs others or not, it is my right, as guaranteed, not granted, by both the Bill of Rights to our Constitution and by the Constitution of my state. I have encountered very few people who felt alarmed or intimidated by this sixty-nine year old grandfather carrying a sidearm.

Law abider

Buddy. You are already 'shooting' yourself in the leg. No point discussing with you. Your mind is already made up. Can't change mine on the gun issue. Do you own a home? Then get rid of the homeowner's insurance. You don't need it.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Grapeshot,
In this type of open forum it is impossible to censor someone. I could always come back. I'd also like to know why this post doesn't count as LEO bashing. ?

Because you are discussing a specific instance ... based on facts ... maybe?

I don't think that the forum discourages discussion of bad acts ... + it was funny "dude..."

Last edited:

MKEgal

"In this type of open forum it is impossible to censor someone"

LOL! In talking with one of the moderators, I learned exactly how easy it is.
Wish there were some way to tie it to a certain person, rather than just an account.
That would stop all these sock puppets.

CCinMaine

How doesn't carrying a firearm protect you? Wouldn't carrying a knife, pepper spray, a rock, or a stick make you safer in the event you're being attacked by someone with no regard for your life? A handgun is just a specialized tool to defend your life(of course there are other applications for it but this is why we carry it). I can say with utmost certainty that everyone on here does NOT want to EVER shoot someone. Firearms today are very safe. There is no way my firearm that I carry 100% of the time will ever go off without my finger on the trigger.

T

>The_Liberal<

Thank you all for your responses. This is really interesting to talk to you all about gun functions. If you would entertain me and perhaps apply it to the George Zimmerman trial. I noticed a couple articles on CNN I would like to ask you all about:

Article 1: http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/11/opinion/francis-zimmerman-trial/index.html?iid=article_sidebar
Article 2: http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/03/george-zimmermans-gun/?iref=allsearch

The first one seems to have some slight neutrality issues, but I'm curious about the passage:
"... We're told over and over that if Zimmerman was afraid of Martin, according to Florida law, he had the right to put a bullet in the chamber of his concealed handgun, get out of his car after being told not to by the 911 dispatcher and follow and confront Martin and shoot him to death."

I get it that you all like to keep your guns loaded as you carry them.

This seems a little strange that someone can have the right to shoot another person to death, but what of Mr. Zimmerman chambering a round before getting out of his car? First, why would someone put a round in their chamber if they already have 7 in their clip? Is it normal for someone to chamber a round before getting out of a car? Why would Wisconsin have a law specifically legalizing the act of loading a handgun in a car?

As for the second article. Is it really normal to "carry hot?" What other saftey features do hand guns have besides the "long trigger pull?"

Plankton

Just north of the Sheeple's Republik of Madistan
Thank you all for your responses. This is really interesting to talk to you all about gun functions. If you would entertain me and perhaps apply it to the George Zimmerman trial. I noticed a couple articles on CNN I would like to ask you all about:

Article 1: http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/11/opinion/francis-zimmerman-trial/index.html?iid=article_sidebar
Article 2: http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/03/george-zimmermans-gun/?iref=allsearch

The first one seems to have some slight neutrality issues, but I'm curious about the passage:
"... We're told over and over that if Zimmerman was afraid of Martin, according to Florida law, he had the right to put a bullet in the chamber of his concealed handgun, get out of his car after being told not to by the 911 dispatcher and follow and confront Martin and shoot him to death."

I get it that you all like to keep your guns loaded as you carry them.

This seems a little strange that someone can have the right to shoot another person to death, but what of Mr. Zimmerman chambering a round before getting out of his car? First, why would someone put a round in their chamber if they already have 7 in their clip? Is it normal for someone to chamber a round before getting out of a car? Why would Wisconsin have a law specifically legalizing the act of loading a handgun in a car?

As for the second article. Is it really normal to "carry hot?" What other saftey features do hand guns have besides the "long trigger pull?"

I carry the exact same way a police officer carries; one in the chamber. It's legal to do so in Wisconsin; I don't know OR care about Florida law, since I don't live, or travel there. My grand daughter wears "clips" in her hair; not sure what that has to do with handguns, however.

OC for ME

<snip> That said, I read the gun facts file and it doesn't specifically address how carrying a gun makes someone safer. Could I ask the rest of you why it's better to be walking around with loaded semi-automatic handguns when it seems to be more dangerous to do so?
I do not have the burden to prove that the lawful carry of a properly holstered handgun, my right under the law and constitution, makes me safer.

My right(s) and their lawful exercise require no justification, this is a liberal construct. Thus the vast majority of liberals are anti liberty. Liberals detest liberty, and liberals detest individual self determination. Liberals work very hard to impugn liberty, to criminalize the lawful exercise of liberty, and to demonize citizens who work equally hard to preserve and restore liberty.

Liberals have the burden to prove, that they infringing upon my right, makes them safer.

<snip> This seems a little strange that someone can have the right to shoot another person to death, but what of Mr. Zimmerman chambering a round before getting out of his car? First, why would someone put a round in their chamber if they already have 7 in their clip? Is it normal for someone to chamber a round before getting out of a car? Why would Wisconsin have a law specifically legalizing the act of loading a handgun in a car?

As for the second article. Is it really normal to "carry hot?" What other safety features do hand guns have besides the "long trigger pull?"
Information is readily available on the operation of firearms. Do your own research, don't take anyone on the Interwebs word for it. Also, research the applicable laws in your state regarding firearms and self defense and then act accordingly.

I do not have a right to shoot anyone. I have a right to defend myself. If I shoot someone while exercising my right to defend myself I may be found justified in infringing upon the thug's right to life. Meaning, just as GZ did, I can walk if a jury accepts my justification.

Welcome to OCDO.

OC for ME

I do not have the burden to prove that the lawful carry of a properly holstered handgun, my right under the law and constitution, makes me safer.

My right(s) and their lawful exercise require no justification, this is a liberal construct. Thus the vast majority of liberals are anti liberty. Liberals detest liberty, and liberals detest individual self determination. Liberals work very hard to impugn liberty, to criminalize the lawful exercise of liberty, and to demonize citizens who work equally hard to preserve and restore liberty.

Liberals have the burden to prove, that they infringing upon my right, makes them safer.

Information is readily available on the operation of firearms. Do your own research, don't take anyone on the Interwebs word for it. Also, research the applicable laws in your state regarding firearms and self defense and then act accordingly.

I do not have a right to shoot anyone. I have a right to defend myself. If I shoot someone while exercising my right to defend myself I may be found justified in infringing upon the thug's right to life. Meaning, just as GZ did, I can walk if a jury accepts my justification.

Welcome to OCDO.
The OP is a liberal. He is racking up posts that he can then use, out of context, to further his anti-liberty agenda. Liberals enjoy the right to free speech, and as long as they confine themselves to the forum rules the "freedom" to speak here on OCDO. The OP has been tested by the staff and management and was found lacking. He, as all liberals must do, continues to do whatever he can to advance his anti-liberty and anti-citizen agenda.

The OP is far more than a mere troll.

Phillip

I carry the exact same way a police officer carries; one in the chamber. It's legal to do so in Wisconsin; I don't know OR care about Florida law, since I don't live, or travel there. My grand daughter wears "clips" in her hair; not sure what that has to do with handguns, however.

However, the Kel-Tec P-32 has an optional belt CLIP. You may not be sure but I am sure "clips" can be associated with handguns.:cool:

Burl

However, the Kel-Tec P-32 has an optional belt CLIP. Handguns can be associated with "clips".:cool:

MKEgal

OC for ME said:
The OP is a liberal.
... The OP is far more than a mere troll.
Indeed. It is one of the dozen or so fake accounts by the same person, who has been banned under both of his original accounts, and pretty much every fake account since then.
So now we have at least 2 and perhaps 3 of his accounts replying to each other on this thread.
Quit feeding the troll.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Grapeshot,

First of all, it isn't "cop-bashing" to point out specific, factual police actions which suggest a need for reform. (Do you deny there is a need for reform in American policing?)

Strictly speaking, an "automatic" weapon continues to fire as long as the trigger is held. A "semi-automatic" fires once for each pull of the trigger (as opposed to guns like revolvers which require you to perform some other action to fire subsequent shots). This is confused by the fact that, historically, companies advertised guns as "automatic" which we would today call "semi-automatic". Some folks prefer to explicitly differentiate "semi-automatic" from "fully-automatic" ("semi-auto" and "full-auto") to avoid ambiguity.

Finally, you ain't a liberal. You're an anti-liberal progressive. Big difference. (Go ahead, look up the word "liberal" in a dictionary.) A true liberal would be satisfied by something being a right, and wouldn't first need to be convinced that it's "safer". Sometimes freedom is valuable for reasons other than "safety". A liberal wouldn't need to have this obvious fact explained to him.

Why is it safer to be armed? Well, it's simple. Armed folks tend to be aware of their responsibility, so they are unlikely to start confrontations (knowing it's very difficult to claim self-defense if you aren't squeaky-clean prior to a shooting). And other folks tend to avoid starting confrontations with someone they know to be armed.

So, by being armed one can reduce the likelihood of a confrontation, and one can be justifiably confident one has the ability to walk away from a confrontation should it be brought to you.

Fairly simple, I should think.

Last edited: