Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: [?] Can officer take your firearm?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    2

    [?] Can officer take your firearm?

    Let's say you get stopped by an officer while OC'ing and he/she asks for your ID and you say you are not obligated to give them your ID unless they are investigating a crime, issuing a summons, or detaining me at this time. The officer then asks your name (address), etc. You give it to them.

    Here's the tricky part. What do you do if they ask for your firearm? Can you say no? Can they forcefully take it from you? What can they do with your firearm once they have it?

    Any help on this would be helpful.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielMyst777 View Post
    Let's say you get stopped by an officer while OC'ing and he/she asks for your ID and you say you are not obligated to give them your ID unless they are investigating a crime, issuing a summons, or detaining me at this time. The officer then asks your name (address), etc. You give it to them.

    Here's the tricky part. What do you do if they ask for your firearm? Can you say no? Can they forcefully take it from you? What can they do with your firearm once they have it?

    Any help on this would be helpful.

    Thanks.
    Stopped in a vehicle or while walking and I'll assume walking.

    Ask if you're free to leave or are you being detained.

    If he says Detained, yeah...he can take your gun for his safety

    If he says free to leave....leave!

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    2
    Alright that helps out a bit. I'm sorry. I should have been clearer. I was just thinking about it happening while out of a vehicle on private/public property.

    So the only way they can "ask" for you firearm is if you are being detained by an officer? They can't say I'd like to see if you have an "appropriate" weapon for open carrying and hassle you that way?

  4. #4
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,272
    Whether he has legal ground to take it does not matter, not at that moment in time. If he wants to take it, he will one way or another. Survive the stop, and take action in court if need be.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  5. #5
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielMyst777 View Post
    Alright that helps out a bit. I'm sorry. I should have been clearer. I was just thinking about it happening while out of a vehicle on private/public property.

    So the only way they can "ask" for you firearm is if you are being detained by an officer? They can't say I'd like to see if you have an "appropriate" weapon for open carrying and hassle you that way?
    They can say nearly anything but unless you're being detained, they can't demand it.

    Just say goodbye and walk away.
    It's hard to do the first time or two but you get used to it.

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Stopped in a vehicle or while walking and I'll assume walking.

    Ask if you're free to leave or are you being detained.

    If he says Detained, yeah...he can take your gun for his safety

    If he says free to leave....leave!
    Nap, you know better.

    Cite, please.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  7. #7
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Nap, you know better.

    Cite, please.
    Cite what? Officer Safety or walking away.
    Last edited by peter nap; 07-12-2013 at 05:21 PM.

  8. #8
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Cite what? Officer Safety or walking away.
    Cite, please.

    (You've been here for years. You know exactly what we're talking about--officer temporarily seizing a weapon.)



    Daniel,

    Don't accept legal information from posters unless they cite the applicable law and you verify it yourself. We've had a forum rule requiring posters to provide cites since the early days of OCDO.

    (5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules
    Last edited by Citizen; 07-12-2013 at 05:29 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  9. #9
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Cite, please.

    (You've been here for years. You know exactly what we're talking about--officer temporarily seizing a weapon.)



    Daniel,

    Don't accept legal information from posters unless they cite the applicable law and you verify it yourself. We've had a forum rule requiring posters to provide cites since the early days of OCDO.

    (5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules
    Yes, I know the rule

    Since this is one of those "Are we here yet" questions, I'll let him read EVERYONE's take on Officer Safety, including yours.:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...er-safety-quot

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    I find it odd that we have the right to keep and bear to protect ourselves from gov't & gov't officials .... and they can just walk up and take our guns .. hmmmm lalalala seems...not right upon first glance

  11. #11
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post


    Daniel,

    Don't accept legal information from posters unless they cite the applicable law and you verify it yourself. We've had a forum rule requiring posters to provide cites since the early days of OCDO.
    Just to carry that a litter further Daniel...Never accept legal advice from the internet, period. What you get here is a starting place, nothing more. We do have Lawyers on the site and they're always happy to discuss a particular issue.

    The question you asked has been asked many times here and debated over and over and over. The cites shown on the link I gave are just that. Drab Cases that may or may not apply in your situation.

  12. #12
    Regular Member HearseGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    172
    You know, Daniel brings up a good point that I haven't really thought of until here recently while gathering info to educate a local LEO.

    Daniel asks if an LEO can check to see if you are carrying an "appropriate" open carry firearm. Virginia Beach for instance, states that without a CHP it is unlawful to carry a center fire firearm with a magazine capable of holding over 20 rounds.

    18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

    It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

    I'm not sure I've seen an instance of this, or if it has been discussed but theoretically, could a VB LEO stop and sieze your firearm to ensure your weapon is in compliance with this code?
    Additional text for your reading pleasure...

  13. #13
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by HearseGuy View Post
    You know, Daniel brings up a good point that I haven't really thought of until here recently while gathering info to educate a local LEO.

    Daniel asks if an LEO can check to see if you are carrying an "appropriate" open carry firearm. Virginia Beach for instance, states that without a CHP it is unlawful to carry a center fire firearm with a magazine capable of holding over 20 rounds.

    18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

    It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

    I'm not sure I've seen an instance of this, or if it has been discussed but theoretically, could a VB LEO stop and sieze your firearm to ensure your weapon is in compliance with this code?
    There are really two questions there.

    Can he legally stop you to check your magazine? Unless you're loaded with a 33 round mag or one that can be readily identified as larger than 20 rounds, I don't see any way he can do that anymore than seizing the gun to run the serial number to see if it's stolen.

    Can he do it and get away with it anyway.....we've all seen it happen. Just say no!

    There's an ongoing case in Central Va now where the cop did just that. Took the gun from a resident to see if it was stolen with no reason to think it was...and didn't give it back. No it wasn't stolen.
    Last edited by peter nap; 07-12-2013 at 09:20 PM.

  14. #14
    Regular Member 2a4all's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Newport News, VA, ,
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by HearseGuy View Post
    You know, Daniel brings up a good point that I haven't really thought of until here recently while gathering info to educate a local LEO.

    Daniel asks if an LEO can check to see if you are carrying an "appropriate" open carry firearm. Virginia Beach for instance, states that without a CHP it is unlawful to carry a center fire firearm with a magazine capable of holding over 20 rounds.

    18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

    It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

    I'm not sure I've seen an instance of this, or if it has been discussed but theoretically, could a VB LEO stop and sieze your firearm to ensure your weapon is in compliance with this code?
    That's not a VB ordinance (which would violate preemption), it's state law.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

    Member VCDL, NRA

  15. #15
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post
    That's not a VB ordinance (which would violate preemption), it's state law.
    But you still need at lesst Reasonable Articulatable Suspicion to initiate a Terry stop (Hey, Citizen - do I actually need to give the SCOTUS docket number to malke it a valid cite?) to look at your magazine. Looking at your magazine while it is outside your handgun may or may not develop into Probable Cause to arrest you for violation of 18.2-287.4.

    So if you have one of those +1 extensions on the end of your magazine, does that reasonably suggest that it may hold more than 20 rounds? If you have a bottom-feeder in Euro-wenie caliber how much longer does your "normal capacity" 17-round double stack magazine need to be to hold another 4 rounds? And supposing the cop could articulate that at trial - his "expertise" could be impeached by asking him to identify the capacity of other common items based on only a cursory visual inspection from a distance. (And this banana, officer? How long would you say it is? Now what about this zuccinni? And based on your training and experience, how long is the average banana and the average zuccini?)

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lynchburg, VA
    Posts
    71

    Traffic Stop

    Are you required to surrender your firearm upon request during a routine traffic stop?

  17. #17
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by amtilton17 View Post
    Are you required to surrender your firearm upon request during a routine traffic stop?
    Since you have been detained (a form of custodial arrest), then "Yes". Even if you are not stopped for an actual motor vehicle law violation - as in the cop wants to check your registration card because your tags "look" altered or some such, "Yes" because it qualifies because he can claim a Terry stop.

    The operative part of your inruiry are the words upon request. We are hearing/reading fewer reports of folks being disarmed during "routine" traffic stops.

    Just remember, it's not a good idea to bring up the subject of being armed - let the cop start that conversation. Might also be a good idea not to whip it out as he gets up to your window even if all you intended to do was hand it to him. If the cop wants your firearm tell him you are going to step out of the vehicle to allow him to safely remove it from your holster. (Or if you are like me and use a paddle holster, tell him to remove the holster with the handgun still in it.)

    stay safe.

    PS - Hey, Citizen. I mentioned Terry Stop but did not provide the SCOTUS docket number. Is that good enough?
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  18. #18
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    But you still need at lesst Reasonable Articulatable Suspicion to initiate a Terry stop (Hey, Citizen - do I actually need to give the SCOTUS docket number to malke it a valid cite?) to look at your magazine. Looking at your magazine while it is outside your handgun may or may not develop into Probable Cause to arrest you for violation of 18.2-287.4.

    So if you have one of those +1 extensions on the end of your magazine, does that reasonably suggest that it may hold more than 20 rounds? If you have a bottom-feeder in Euro-wenie caliber how much longer does your "normal capacity" 17-round double stack magazine need to be to hold another 4 rounds? And supposing the cop could articulate that at trial - his "expertise" could be impeached by asking him to identify the capacity of other common items based on only a cursory visual inspection from a distance. (And this banana, officer? How long would you say it is? Now what about this zuccinni? And based on your training and experience, how long is the average banana and the average zuccini?)

    stay safe.
    Why ask me? What do the rules say?

    For myself, when the thread includes new members, I would be especially careful to cite so the new readers can check it out themselves and learn. Depending on the situation, I would even provide links. So, using your sentence above, here is how I might write it:

    "[But, according to Terry vs Ohio, the officer still needs reasonable articulable suspicion (RAS) to initiate a detention/Terry Stop/stop.]"



    I agree that a judge might go along with a detention founded on a visual observation of an obviously long magazine.
    Last edited by Citizen; 07-14-2013 at 12:24 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Why ask me? What do the rules say?

    ....
    Because of late you have become the enforcer and arbiter of that rule.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  20. #20
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Because of late you have become the enforcer and arbiter of that rule.

    stay safe.
    OH, jeezus effing chryst. We are all the arbiters and enforcers of the rules--we make the house we live in. While we do have moderators, this forum is still largely self-moderated.

    And, stop with the enforcer BS. The only people who can enforce any rules around here are the mods and admin.

    And, I know you know the value of that rule. You've been here for ages. Don't try to tell me you don't fully understand the value of that rule. And, don't try that lately business. You know I've hammered that rule for years. Furthermore, I know you know this would be a better forum if everybody followed that rule religiously every time.

    For other readers who weren't around in the early days, here are some of the reasons for it, in no particular order:

    1. It prevents arguments about the law which, if you've ever read other forums, can go round in circles for pages.

    2. It educates everybody, especially new readers, especially when links are included so everybody can go and read the law for himself.


    You can either cite the exact law, or you're just spouting to sound important, or just plain lazy. It takes absolutely no effort at all to just keep your yap shut if you can't remember the cite. I know--I've done it hundreds of times.
    Last edited by Citizen; 07-14-2013 at 06:24 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  21. #21
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    OH, jeezus effing chryst. We are all the arbiters and enforcers of the rules--we make the house we live in. While we do have moderators, this forum is still largely self-moderated.

    And, stop with the enforcer BS. The only people who can enforce any rules around here are the mods and admin.

    And, I know you know the value of that rule. You've been here for ages. Don't try to tell me you don't fully understand the value of that rule. And, don't try that lately business. You know I've hammered that rule for years. Furthermore, I know you know this would be a better forum if everybody followed that rule religiously every time.

    For other readers who weren't around in the early days, here are some of the reasons for it, in no particular order:

    1. It prevents arguments about the law which, if you've ever read other forums, can go round in circles for pages.

    2. It educates everybody, especially new readers, especially when links are included so everybody can go and read the law for himself.


    You can either cite the exact law, or you're just spouting to sound important, or just plain lazy. It takes absolutely no effort at all to just keep your yap shut if you can't remember the cite. I know--I've done it hundreds of times.
    Couldn't agree more, in fact...I'm copying this post to attach to rule violation notices.

  22. #22
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    OH, jeezus effing chryst. ....
    0
    |
    0
    |
    0 <- Citizen's chain
    |
    0

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,171

    LOL You forgot one thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    0
    |
    0
    |
    0 <- Citizen's chain (Yank here)
    |
    0

    stay safe.
    I fixed it for you. ;>)

  24. #24
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Let me make sure I understand this. Long term members who know better act lazily, and when called on it, respond childishly in the vein of making me out to be an adult version of a schoolyard goodytwoshoes or tattletale, rather than just man up, recognize their error, and reform.
    Do I have that right?

    Anybody besides Nap got the cajones to openly support the forum rule? Or, shall we just continue to minimize it; maybe even ditch it altogether?
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  25. #25
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Let me make sure I understand this. Long term members who know better act lazily, and when called on it, respond childishly in the vein of making me out to be an adult version of a schoolyard goodytwoshoes or tattletale, rather than just man up, recognize their error, and reform.
    Do I have that right?

    Anybody besides Nap got the cajones to openly support the forum rule? Or, shall we just continue to minimize it; maybe even ditch it altogether?
    Uh...I was making fun of you!

    While I support the rule, you use it as a hickory switch. The rules are intended to be used with a little flex in them. Rule 8 is clear about Open carry only (No CHP) discussion. We all know where that's gone.
    Last edited by peter nap; 07-15-2013 at 11:09 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •