• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

[?] Can officer take your firearm?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
OH, jeezus effing chryst. We are all the arbiters and enforcers of the rules--we make the house we live in. While we do have moderators, this forum is still largely self-moderated.

And, stop with the enforcer BS. The only people who can enforce any rules around here are the mods and admin.

And, I know you know the value of that rule. You've been here for ages. Don't try to tell me you don't fully understand the value of that rule. And, don't try that lately business. You know I've hammered that rule for years. Furthermore, I know you know this would be a better forum if everybody followed that rule religiously every time.

For other readers who weren't around in the early days, here are some of the reasons for it, in no particular order:

1. It prevents arguments about the law which, if you've ever read other forums, can go round in circles for pages.

2. It educates everybody, especially new readers, especially when links are included so everybody can go and read the law for himself.

You can either cite the exact law, or you're just spouting to sound important, or just plain lazy. It takes absolutely no effort at all to just keep your yap shut if you can't remember the cite. I know--I've done it hundreds of times.

Couldn't agree more, in fact...I'm copying this post to attach to rule violation notices.:dude:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Let me make sure I understand this. Long term members who know better act lazily, and when called on it, respond childishly in the vein of making me out to be an adult version of a schoolyard goodytwoshoes or tattletale, rather than just man up, recognize their error, and reform.
Do I have that right?

Anybody besides Nap got the cajones to openly support the forum rule? Or, shall we just continue to minimize it; maybe even ditch it altogether?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Let me make sure I understand this. Long term members who know better act lazily, and when called on it, respond childishly in the vein of making me out to be an adult version of a schoolyard goodytwoshoes or tattletale, rather than just man up, recognize their error, and reform.
Do I have that right?

Anybody besides Nap got the cajones to openly support the forum rule? Or, shall we just continue to minimize it; maybe even ditch it altogether?

Uh...I was making fun of you!:uhoh:

While I support the rule, you use it as a hickory switch. The rules are intended to be used with a little flex in them. Rule 8 is clear about Open carry only (No CHP) discussion. We all know where that's gone.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Uh...I was making fun of you!:uhoh:

While I support the rule, you use it as a hickory switch. The rules are intended to be used with a little flex in them. Rule 8 is clear about Open carry only (No CHP) discussion. We all know where that's gone.

Thank you for revealing your position.

A hickory switch? Give me a break. The only people around here with switches are the mods and admins. I am in no way wrong to demand that fellow posters follow this particular rule. And, veteran members know way, way better than to ignore the rule. This wasn't a case of some rookie member forgetting the rule. This was a long-term veteran. The proof is in the alternative--its even easier to just keep your yap shut if you don't remember or the cite or don't want to give it.

Now, you people wanna sit around whining, or you wanna step up to the plate and set a high standard on something genuinely important?

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Let's say you get stopped by an officer while OC'ing and he/she asks for your ID and you say you are not obligated to give them your ID unless they are investigating a crime, issuing a summons, or detaining me at this time. The officer then asks your name (address), etc. You give it to them.

Here's the tricky part. What do you do if they ask for your firearm? Can you say no? Can they forcefully take it from you? What can they do with your firearm once they have it?

Any help on this would be helpful.

Thanks.

BTW Daniel. This is normal. After the question is answered, we need to argue about how many nails are in the coffin.