Thread: PBA warns police officers to take no law-enforcement action that could get them sued

PBA warns police officers to take no law-enforcement action that could get them sued

PBA Press Release

PBA WARNS POLICE OFFICERS TO TAKE NO LAW-ENFORCEMENT ACTION THAT COULD GET THEM SUED UNDER STOP-AND-FRISK BILL
    http://www.nycpba.org/releases/pr130709-warn.html

“As you may know, the New York City Council recently passed a bill that would allow police officers to be sued for stopping suspects based on descriptions that rely on ‘race, color, creed, age, alienage or citizenship status, gender, sexual orientation, disability or housing status.’ If this bill and its problematic provisions become law through an override of the mayor’s expected veto, the PBA hereby advises:..."

" Say an officer responds to a criminal incident involving a suspect who’s described by witnesses as a black male in his early 20s, wearing a white T-shirt, jeans and a Yankees ball cap. Under this new law, the officer can only describe the suspect to other police as “a male wearing a Yankees hat, jeans and a white T-shirt,” he said, in the report. Mentioning race could lead to lawsuit. The basic gist of the two laws is that the city’s police force will now have to assume a reactive approach — rather than proactive — to enforcing law."
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ive-policing-/
    Last edited by Nightmare; 07-12-2013 at 04:00 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Founder's Club Member
    What is PBA? Policeman's Ball Association?

Of course, this won't lead anywhere good. Now, the police will just detain anybody in the area wearing a white T-shirt, jeans, and a Yankees ball cap--blacks, whites, hispanic, asian, everybody.

I've already seen cases where cops knowingly seized a person of a race different than described by dispatch, or wearing different clothes, or seizing people whose clothes "matched" a description so vague half the people in the area could be encompassed by the description. This new law will just give them more of an excuse to omit pertinent information and violate more people's 4A rights against unreasonable seizure.
    Last edited by Citizen; 07-12-2013 at 05:37 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    What is PBA? Policeman's Ball Association?
    Police Buddies Association
    http://boardofwisdom.com/togo/Quotes.../?msgid=184124

Banned
    I could care little about NYC going broke .. they are already morally bankrupt

Color is not race; it is a physical description. Granted, it is often indicative of narrowing down the likelihood of which race, but it itself is not racial.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Color is not race; it is a physical description. Granted, it is often indicative of narrowing down the likelihood of which race, but it itself is not racial.
    I don't know. That example about a white T-shirt sounded pretty racist to me.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    I don't know. That example about a white T-shirt sounded pretty racist to me.
    Failure to keep commercial linens clean, like white T-shirts, justified as eco-green, have led to the spread of bedbugs correlated with inexpensive commercial housing.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 07-13-2013 at 07:21 AM.

This guidance is pretty far off the mark from the Judge's opinion. I'm wondering if the reason why the NYPD has such crappy legal guidance is because only the dumbest lawyers WANT to work for them, or they only KEEP the dumbest lawyers on the payroll.