• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

caroline county fair

thedevilrobyjohn

upon entering, a large no weapons, no firearms sign...it cant be missed...you almost have to brush by it to enter....then in their fair catalog......a paid advertisement by gadsden guns stating"because the constitution matters". i was pissed at the greed and hypocracy(sp). i told the five or six employees at the door that..you ban firearms and the legal exerscise of the constitution but advertise and accept money from a gun dealer stating that the constitution matters...one said..we arent against guns, just not on our property....get my damn duck tape

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
http://carolinefair.com/about_us/our_history

In 2002 it was decided the fair should become incorporated and it became a non-profit, 501[c][3] community organization.

Only governments and government agencies can infringe on your constitutional rights. (Please insert here skidmark's standard rant about people who try to claim private businesses infringe on constitutional rights.)

As a private business, the The Caroline County Agricultural Fair Association can set up rules for entrace onto their property and your only options to abiding by them are to comply with them or commit trespass.

I happen to agree with your decision not to attend, but there is no way I can support your whinging about some violation of your "rights".

stay safe.

thedevilrobyjohn

good morning to you sir

http://carolinefair.com/about_us/our_history

Only governments and government agencies can infringe on your constitutional rights. (Please insert here skidmark's standard rant about people who try to claim private businesses infringe on constitutional rights.)

As a private business, the The Caroline County Agricultural Fair Association can set up rules for entrace onto their property and your only options to abiding by them are to comply with them or commit trespass.

I happen to agree with your decision not to attend, but there is no way I can support your whinging about some violation of your "rights".

stay safe.

well good morning to you too, skid. just thought id give a heads up with my been there. also thought someone should point it out to them....and it was quite funny, double standards always make me laugh....well im on the way to the festival....so, here comes the rain

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I just got an email response from Gadsden owner (?) Pat Webb. I directed him to this thread . . . . . He seems shocked . . . . . .

Actually, I think Pat is a she and a stand up pro 2nd rights person and I think an Executive member of VCDL.
I don't think you'll be disappointed at the response.

(She does need some work on Sunday hunting though)

Last edited:

GirlsWithGuns

You could also Gadsden Guns and ask them why they are advertising with an anti-gun business...

Gadsden Guns, Inc.
19394 Beaver Dam Road
Beaverdam, VA 23015
GadsdenGuns@centurylink.net
Mon-Thu 11-7
Fri-Sat 11-8
Sunday 11-6
www.facebook.com/Gadsden.Guns.Inc

Hi from Gadsden Guns...we advertised with the Caroline Progress, who put out the programs for the fair. I did not know that the fair had this policy...in fact I see no policy on their web site and there was no sign when I went this morning...not saying there wasn't, but it was down when I got there this morning. I also sent someone else to check since I wasn't LOOKING for a sign and could have missed it. They did not see one so they asked...and apparently ruffled some feathers asking about the policy. More details to follow when I get them.

As for our commitment to the RKBA, many of you know me personally, but for those who don't I am an EM of VCDL and have been for years. I am also the Virginia Coordinator for Second Amendment Sisters (www.2asisters.org) and sit on their BoD as the National Coordinator. I have held assorted Ladies' Day at the Range events and organized educational meetings in the Richmond and Charlottesville areas.

I WILL follow up with the Caroline Fair people this coming week. Apparently they paid attention to earlier comments because the sign is gone IFAICT.

Pat Webb
Gadsden Guns, Inc

GirlsWithGuns

Please send a copy to Pat (gadsdenguns@centurylink.net). She didn't see a sign (don't know what entrance she used).

I didn't see it in the catalog, where is it? Also please do send a photo of the sign to the email above that Tess gave. I want to get this straightened out as much as anyone on this list (or even more because I advertised with them in good faith).

FWIW, I had a company call me that was doing a directory for an elementary school in Orange...just for fun I told them I wanted to run a full page ad...saying we sold machine guns, suppressors and offered safety classes and concealed carry classes :-D Don't know why they didn't want to run the ad! I was sooo looking forward to THAT one!

papa bear

My son went to the Salem fair. he said they had a sign up that said "No Illegal guns". he said he thought to himself , well his gun was not illegal, so he said he just walked on in. He figured that they were trying to discourage the stupid. some would have thought that it meant all guns

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Thank you, Pat. Seems like a litle conversation has resolved the issue - at least for now. Having met you, I would not like to get on your bad side over anything 2A.

thedevilrobyjohn - mea culpa. AS I stated, it is an almost knee-jerk reaction because some may folks do claim that something other than the government is attempting to infringe their rights. I might try in the future to consider the posting of an announcement of a sign to be only a heads-up.

papa bear - Good for your son. It speaks well of him that he avoids hanging out with illegal things (as well, supposedly, not hanging out with people who do illegal things).

stay safe.

thedevilrobyjohn

sign

I just got home from a long day of festival and then work....the sign was immediately after the ticket booth in the small room with the through way and ticket collector. It is at keast 2' x 2'. I took a pic of it and the lady asked what I was doing. I then stated the irony of having a gun shop with pro constitution slogan but then this sign....she stated that they arent against guns...just not on their property. Ill send you a pic of the sign or post it on here, I have the catalog with the gun shop ad. If the sign came down that fast, then im a champion of 2A ....several victories in several weeks...nice. cudos to me. Not sure about big words and knee jerk responses, but I stood my ground. A simple call to the fair exec or property owner will settle that there was absolutely a sign in the only ntrance to the fair. My shipping supervisor saw me later that evening and said, guess you had to leave your gun. He saw the sign and thought of me. As of 10:30 pm Friday night, the sign was still in place and as many as 8 fair people at the gate heard me call foul. Can I get an Amen? Ill email the sign pic and you can clearly see it is inside the little familiar building...

Last edited:

thedevilrobyjohn

sign pic

image.jpg

please take note of the top last line of wordin...caroline county fair... a blue ribbon experience...

Last edited:

papa bear

Thank you, Pat. Seems like a litle conversation has resolved the issue - at least for now. Having met you, I would not like to get on your bad side over anything 2A.

thedevilrobyjohn - mea culpa. AS I stated, it is an almost knee-jerk reaction because some may folks do claim that something other than the government is attempting to infringe their rights. I might try in the future to consider the posting of an announcement of a sign to be only a heads-up.

papa bear - Good for your son. It speaks well of him that he avoids hanging out with illegal things (as well, supposedly, not hanging out with people who do illegal things).

stay safe.

Yeah SKID i am proud of my son. he tries to be a good citizen and obey the laws

i had a thought later. would anybody that had an "illegal" gun pay attention to the sign.
" AW, HECK I CAN'T GO IN WITH MY ILLEGAL GUN. SHUCKS"

GirlsWithGuns

Update on Caroline Fair...the advertisement is done by the Caroline Progress, a local magazine (who has always been pro-freedom). The Caroline Fair actually PAID just like I did to advertise their event schedule in this magazine. No proceeds from our ad will go to the Fair.

I spoke with one of the board members of the fair and he confirmed their "no gun" policy...because there are so many CHILDREN present. He is not negotiable. On a brighter note, the Caroline Progress has suggested that if a number of people write to them expressing their opinion that lawful carry should be permissible in such places that they will run an article on the issue.

If you write, please be polite, concise and an ambassador for our side. Use logic and fact, not emotion and conjecture. I know I don't need to tell most of you this, but when issues get heated the cooler heads most often prevail.

Thanks to all of you for your support on this issue.

Pat

thedevilrobyjohn

Update on Caroline Fair...the advertisement is done by the Caroline Progress, a local magazine (who has always been pro-freedom). The Caroline Fair actually PAID just like I did to advertise their event schedule in this magazine. No proceeds from our ad will go to the Fair.

I spoke with one of the board members of the fair and he confirmed their "no gun" policy...because there are so many CHILDREN present. He is not negotiable. On a brighter note, the Caroline Progress has suggested that if a number of people write to them expressing their opinion that lawful carry should be permissible in such places that they will run an article on the issue.

If you write, please be polite, concise and an ambassador for our side. Use logic and fact, not emotion and conjecture. I know I don't need to tell most of you this, but when issues get heated the cooler heads most often prevail.

Thanks to all of you for your support on this issue.

Pat

it was actually the fairs catalog or schedule book that I saw the advertisement in as I was reading the no guns sign....