Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GWU Police Department....I can't believe this....

GWU Police Department....I can't believe this....

GWU Police Department is UNARMED? Are they the only police department in the USA that does not carry firearms?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter45 View Post
    GWU Police Department is UNARMED? Are they the only police department in the USA that does not carry firearms?
    I know many campus police that are unarmed ....

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I have never heard of such a thing. All Campus Police Departments in Virginia are armed. I don't know how you can be a sworn police officer and not be allowed to carry on duty. What a joke.

I don't know how you can be a sworn police officer and not be allowed to carry on duty. What a joke.
    Personally, I'm quite uncomfortable with the armed-cops-to-armed-citizens ratio we've got going on here.

Police have far less need to be armed as a matter of course than do average citizens. Let's face it: police have an infinitesimally small chance of being present while a crime is actually being committed (if for no other reason than criminals expressly avoid committing crimes in the presence of police).

And even when they respond, the odds are good they'll just wait until the action's over in the name of "officer safety", which is of course far more important than the public safety they putatively exist to protect.

This notion that armed police are in any way an efficacious, reasonable, or necessary response to school shootings is a product of, well, public schools (the primary source of the hero-worship directed at the entire profession of Law Enfarcement). It sure ain't a product of logic.
    Last edited by marshaul; 07-13-2013 at 11:48 AM.

Banned
    I have never heard of such a thing. All Campus Police Departments in Virginia are armed. I don't know how you can be a sworn police officer and not be allowed to carry on duty. What a joke.
    Many just carry either radios or whistles ! The old rape whistles where when one blows it, all the rapists come out for the fun.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Personally, I'm quite uncomfortable with the armed-cops-to-armed-citizens ratio we've got going on here.

Police have far less need to be armed as a matter of course than do average citizens. Let's face it: police have an infinitesimally small chance of being present while a crime is actually being committed (if for no other reason than criminals expressly avoid committing crimes in the presence of police).

And even when they respond, the odds are good they'll just wait until the action's over in the name of "officer safety", which is of course far more important than the public safety they putatively exist to protect.

This notion that armed police are in any way an efficacious, reasonable, or necessary response to school shootings is a product of, well, public schools (the primary source of the hero-worship directed at the entire profession of Law Enfarcement). It sure ain't a product of logic.
    <grumble>

Except for Marshaul, I wouldn't need the on-line dictionary links in my favorites folder.

ETA: AHA! Now, I got him! Putative means assumed to exist. Thus, he's got a redundancy in his sentence. He's essentially saying police assumed to exist exist to protect. Heh, heh, heh.
    Last edited by Citizen; 07-13-2013 at 12:53 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    <grumble>

Except for Marshaul, I wouldn't need the on-line dictionary links in my favorites folder.

ETA: AHA! Now, I got him! Putative means assumed to exist. Thus, he's got a redundancy in his sentence. He's essentially saying police assumed to exist exist to protect. Heh, heh, heh.
    Hmm. Nice try.

putative |ˈpyo͞otətiv|
    adjective [ attrib. ]
    generally considered or reputed to be: the putative father of a boy of two.
    DERIVATIVES
    putatively adverb
    ORIGIN late Middle English: from Old French putatif, -ive or late Latin putativus, from Latin putat- ‘thought,’ from the verb putare .
    In effect, I said that their existence "to protect" is generally thought to be. Which is distinct from acceding that they do exist to protect (a premise I reject).
    Last edited by marshaul; 07-13-2013 at 01:17 PM.

VA Police

Well think about this, it's only been maybe 5 to 7 years ago that the police officers at the Veterans Administration Medical Centers were allowed to carry firearms. Prior to that is was mace and a baton.

Now think about the people they could run into and the training these people may have recieved with firearms and explosives.\

There were several VA Police who were killed in the line of duty. Many were shot and all they could do is throw stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lthrnck View Post
    Well think about this, it's only been maybe 5 to 7 years ago that the police officers at the Veterans Administration Medical Centers were allowed to carry firearms. Prior to that is was mace and a baton.

Now think about the people they could run into and the training these people may have recieved with firearms and explosives.\

There were several VA Police who were killed in the line of duty. Many were shot and all they could do is throw stuff.
    I work in a VA Medical Center and a few years ago they had a guy admitted to the hospital from the ER for long term care and he was armed. The VA police secured his pistol and mailed it back to his house but he had his mail forwarded to the VA and his pistol got delivered to him (by the nurse) in his room at the VA since it was a package and she didn't know what was in it. The system at work...lol

Correctional officers do their job around dangerous felons without firearms. It makes sense that police could do the same. Instead the pendulum has swung to more heavily arm police officers. IMO police as well as citizens should be allowed to be armed, but police probably would be killed less if they were not.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

a lot of european police dont carry firearms either.

Kinda miss the Mayberry days when Andy was an unarmed sheriff and Barny would carry a pistol (unloaded) with one round in his shirt pocket.....

Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    Kinda miss the Mayberry days when Andy was an unarmed sheriff and Barny would carry a pistol (unloaded) with one round in his shirt pocket.....
    That was make believe. The deputies and sheriff in Mt. Airy have always been armed with loaded guns.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Kopis View Post
    Even Britain is arming their police, eventually they all will be armed. It is the trend of the world, disarm citizens, heavily arm the government agents.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    That was make believe. The deputies and sheriff in Mt. Airy have always been armed with loaded guns.
    Hey don't pull me out of my fantasy world....lol

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Even Britain is arming their police, eventually they all will be armed. It is the trend of the world, disarm citizens, heavily arm the government agents.
    The problem is you, me and most of the people on here can see what is happening while the sheeple out there have their heads in the sand thinking everything is ok; the goverment wouldn't ever do anything wrong.......

Right Hitler, Stallan, Ceaser, Mussialine?, Sadam, Edy Ammen?, Noriega, and all the other would be dictators out there. Right Obama.

University of Rhode Island Police do not carry guns.

Police officers for the territory of American Samoa do not carry guns.

Why would they NEED to carry firearms?

DC has some of the strictest firearm 'control' laws in the US.
    There would be no need for them to carry one.
    In fact DC police shouldn't need to carry firearms either.

Unless they think the criminals might ignore the laws.................. like the REST of us have already figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    That's probably campus security, mall cops that give parking violations, unlock buildings in the morning and lock at night. Most have security guards, and sworn LEO's that are armed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovelhead View Post
    In fact DC police shouldn't need to carry firearms either.
    No, really. Have you seen their level of "professionalism"?

They really shouldn't be armed – not with centuries of precedent establishing almost complete impunity for their misdeeds.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    No, really. Have you seen their level of "professionalism"?

They really shouldn't be armed – not with centuries of precedent establishing almost complete impunity for their misdeeds.
    Not sure of the impunity part ..... there's probably more former MPD officers in DC and Maryland jails than current number of officers on the street.
    Assault Weapon (N) “Any firearm whose design disturbs the sleep of progressive politicians.”.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovelhead View Post
    Not sure of the impunity part ..... there's probably more former MPD officers in DC and Maryland jails than current number of officers on the street.
    It's DC. I guarantee you the thin blue line is no different from anywhere else.

If DC cops get busted at such a rate, but always for unambiguously criminal behavior, how often do you think they get away with the sort of boundary-pushing cops all over the country routinely get away with?

i have always felt that LE should not carry firearms. they already have the color of law protecting them. they should only have non-lethal carry. then maybe a lot of citizens would not be shot and killed.

we did have a sheriff here in Mayberry, named of Taylor. got shot in the butt one time with a shotgun. the only thing is he didn't have a single hole in his britches
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopis View Post
    Only mainland Britain and Scotland...

Northern Ireland and mainland Europe their forces are routinely armed.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Only mainland Britain and Scotland...

Northern Ireland and mainland Europe their forces are routinely armed.
    Don't forget Norway and Iceland, bro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast