• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GWU Police Department....I can't believe this....

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I don't know how you can be a sworn police officer and not be allowed to carry on duty. What a joke.

Personally, I'm quite uncomfortable with the armed-cops-to-armed-citizens ratio we've got going on here.

Police have far less need to be armed as a matter of course than do average citizens. Let's face it: police have an infinitesimally small chance of being present while a crime is actually being committed (if for no other reason than criminals expressly avoid committing crimes in the presence of police).

And even when they respond, the odds are good they'll just wait until the action's over in the name of "officer safety", which is of course far more important than the public safety they putatively exist to protect.

This notion that armed police are in any way an efficacious, reasonable, or necessary response to school shootings is a product of, well, public schools (the primary source of the hero-worship directed at the entire profession of Law Enfarcement). It sure ain't a product of logic.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I have never heard of such a thing. All Campus Police Departments in Virginia are armed. I don't know how you can be a sworn police officer and not be allowed to carry on duty. What a joke.

Many just carry either radios or whistles ! The old rape whistles where when one blows it, all the rapists come out for the fun.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Personally, I'm quite uncomfortable with the armed-cops-to-armed-citizens ratio we've got going on here.

Police have far less need to be armed as a matter of course than do average citizens. Let's face it: police have an infinitesimally small chance of being present while a crime is actually being committed (if for no other reason than criminals expressly avoid committing crimes in the presence of police).

And even when they respond, the odds are good they'll just wait until the action's over in the name of "officer safety", which is of course far more important than the public safety they putatively exist to protect.

This notion that armed police are in any way an efficacious, reasonable, or necessary response to school shootings is a product of, well, public schools (the primary source of the hero-worship directed at the entire profession of Law Enfarcement). It sure ain't a product of logic.

<grumble>

Except for Marshaul, I wouldn't need the on-line dictionary links in my favorites folder.

:p:)

ETA: AHA! Now, I got him! Putative means assumed to exist. Thus, he's got a redundancy in his sentence. He's essentially saying police assumed to exist exist to protect. Heh, heh, heh.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
<grumble>

Except for Marshaul, I wouldn't need the on-line dictionary links in my favorites folder.

:p:)

ETA: AHA! Now, I got him! Putative means assumed to exist. Thus, he's got a redundancy in his sentence. He's essentially saying police assumed to exist exist to protect. Heh, heh, heh.

Hmm. Nice try. :p

putative |ˈpyo͞otətiv|
adjective [ attrib. ]
generally considered or reputed to be: the putative father of a boy of two.
DERIVATIVES
putatively adverb
ORIGIN late Middle English: from Old French putatif, -ive or late Latin putativus, from Latin putat- ‘thought,’ from the verb putare .

In effect, I said that their existence "to protect" is generally thought to be. Which is distinct from acceding that they do exist to protect (a premise I reject).

Last edited:

Lthrnck

VA Police

Well think about this, it's only been maybe 5 to 7 years ago that the police officers at the Veterans Administration Medical Centers were allowed to carry firearms. Prior to that is was mace and a baton.

Now think about the people they could run into and the training these people may have recieved with firearms and explosives.\

There were several VA Police who were killed in the line of duty. Many were shot and all they could do is throw stuff.

DocWalker

Well think about this, it's only been maybe 5 to 7 years ago that the police officers at the Veterans Administration Medical Centers were allowed to carry firearms. Prior to that is was mace and a baton.

Now think about the people they could run into and the training these people may have recieved with firearms and explosives.\

There were several VA Police who were killed in the line of duty. Many were shot and all they could do is throw stuff.

I work in a VA Medical Center and a few years ago they had a guy admitted to the hospital from the ER for long term care and he was armed. The VA police secured his pistol and mailed it back to his house but he had his mail forwarded to the VA and his pistol got delivered to him (by the nurse) in his room at the VA since it was a package and she didn't know what was in it. The system at work...lol

WalkingWolf

Correctional officers do their job around dangerous felons without firearms. It makes sense that police could do the same. Instead the pendulum has swung to more heavily arm police officers. IMO police as well as citizens should be allowed to be armed, but police probably would be killed less if they were not.

DocWalker

Even Britain is arming their police, eventually they all will be armed. It is the trend of the world, disarm citizens, heavily arm the government agents.

The problem is you, me and most of the people on here can see what is happening while the sheeple out there have their heads in the sand thinking everything is ok; the goverment wouldn't ever do anything wrong.......

Right Hitler, Stallan, Ceaser, Mussialine?, Sadam, Edy Ammen?, Noriega, and all the other would be dictators out there. Right Obama.

Jared

GWU Police Department is UNARMED? Are they the only police department in the USA that does not carry firearms?

University of Rhode Island Police do not carry guns.

Police officers for the territory of American Samoa do not carry guns.

Shovelhead

Why would they NEED to carry firearms?

DC has some of the strictest firearm 'control' laws in the US.
There would be no need for them to carry one.
In fact DC police shouldn't need to carry firearms either.

Unless they think the criminals might ignore the laws.................. like the REST of us have already figured out.

XD40sc

I know many campus police that are unarmed ....

That's probably campus security, mall cops that give parking violations, unlock buildings in the morning and lock at night. Most have security guards, and sworn LEO's that are armed.