Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Open Carry In Bank?

  1. #1
    Regular Member RugarRev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    62

    Open Carry In Bank?

    I OC and haven't stepped inside my Wells Fargo branch for a couple of years now. If I can't do it from the drive-through or ATM, I just haven't had the need. I saw no "buster" signs on the door the other day as i drove by so that tells me CC shouldn't be an issue.

    So I'm wondering, how does your bank address the 2A issue and Open Carry, and how do/did you resolve it? (Changing financial institutions in protest is a given.)
    Last edited by RugarRev; 07-19-2013 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Spelling errors-think I got them all ;)

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    255
    i bank at collins community. apparently they were told by a lawyer to put the sign up.

  3. #3
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    245
    Like you, I bank at Wells Fargo as well. I also use a local credit union. The only reason I haven't completely quit using Wells Fargo is because I'm a college student so I don't have to pay for any of their services. I get free bill pay whenever I need it, which is very rarely, and I pretty much use mobile banking or the atm to do all my other transactions. Once I've had my other accounts with others open long enough that it doesn't drastically affect my credit score negatively I'll be leaving Wells Fargo. For now, I just don't really go in their often enough. The main branch I use has a previous romantic interest of a relative of mine as the branch director so I know he doesn't care about OC/CC and the tellers at my branch are awesome, but I know other branches employ some of the duller tools from the shed so it's easiest to just ask. If we are going to bring about change in the mainstream one of the places we need to hit them hardest is where is hurts the most: the wallet.

  4. #4
    Regular Member F350's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The High Plains of Wyoming
    Posts
    1,030
    Quote Originally Posted by RugarRev View Post
    I OC and havn't stepped inside my Wells Fargo branch for a couple of years now. If I can't do it from the drive-through or ATM, I just haven't had the need. I saw no "buster" signs on the door the other day as i drove by so that tells me CC shouldn't be an issue.

    So I'm wondering, how does your bank address the 2A issue and Open Carry, and how do/did you resolve it? (Changing financial institutions in protest is a given.)
    I OC into Wells Fargo in Colorado all the time; only had one employee mention it; and it was "What-ch carrying"?

  5. #5
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,258
    So far, the Wells Fargo has not said anything. i carry every time i go in
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

  6. #6
    Regular Member tletourneau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Greater Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    72

    Re: Open Carry In Bank?

    Been a Wells Fargo customer for years and have never had an issue OCing in any location where it's legal to do so.

    Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks,

    Tom

    ----------------------------------
    Springfield XD-40 Service
    Taurus PT-111 Pro (3rd Gen)
    Desert Eagle .50AE Mark VII

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Linn County, Iowa
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by g21sfpistol View Post
    i bank at collins community. apparently they were told by a lawyer to put the sign up.
    I saw the signs, and moved my money/debt to a local CU that does not post.

  8. #8
    Regular Member RugarRev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by amaixner View Post
    I saw the signs, and moved my money/debt to a local CU that does not post.
    What kind of reason/illogic did the insurance co. give the bank for the " need to post"? Dd they say?

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by amaixner View Post
    I saw the signs, and moved my money/debt to a local CU that does not post.
    what CU doesnt post?

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Linn County, Iowa
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by g21sfpistol View Post
    what CU doesnt post?
    UICCU doesn't post. I haven't looked at other ones.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Tucker6900's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Iowa, USA
    Posts
    1,249
    Quote Originally Posted by RugarRev View Post
    What kind of reason/illogic did the insurance co. give the bank for the " need to post"? Dd they say?
    There is one fatal flaw in your statement. And its that you assume people use reason and logic when posting no guns signs. US bank has a no firearm policy. They also dont have my business anymore. Moved to University of Iowa CU. Open carried while I opened a new account, and paid my first car payment. The girl at the desk didnt bat an eye. She was happy for the business.

    But, private property rules apply. No means no.
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.


    The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

  12. #12
    Regular Member RugarRev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker6900 View Post
    There is one fatal flaw in your statement. And its that you assume people use reason and logic when posting no guns signs. US bank has a no firearm policy. They also dont have my business anymore. Moved to University of Iowa CU. Open carried while I opened a new account, and paid my first car payment. The girl at the desk didnt bat an eye. She was happy for the business.

    But, private property rules apply. No means no.
    Not a flawed statement, muddied I think. I should have asked " What illogical reasoning was given..." instead of "reason/illogic". However, your point is well received

  13. #13
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker6900 View Post
    There is one fatal flaw in your statement. And its that you assume people use reason and logic when posting no guns signs. US bank has a no firearm policy. They also dont have my business anymore. Moved to University of Iowa CU. Open carried while I opened a new account, and paid my first car payment. The girl at the desk didnt bat an eye. She was happy for the business.

    But, private property rules apply. No means no.
    actually, there is no private property rules for a business. especially one with open public access
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Tucker6900's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Iowa, USA
    Posts
    1,249
    Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    actually, there is no private property rules for a business. especially one with open public access
    Cite please? I understand what you are saying, but unless there is specific case law, or law of the general assembly, an owner of the property can control what happens on his/her property.

    Take Walmart for instance. It is widely known that their corporate policy is to allow firearms if the store resides in a state that allows it. However, they also have a corporate policy banning any photography without prior permission. There is a couple videos out there that show walmart employees and managers demanding that the video be shut off.
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.


    The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

  15. #15
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker6900 View Post
    Cite please? I understand what you are saying, but unless there is specific case law, or law of the general assembly, an owner of the property can control what happens on his/her property.

    Take Walmart for instance. It is widely known that their corporate policy is to allow firearms if the store resides in a state that allows it. However, they also have a corporate policy banning any photography without prior permission. There is a couple videos out there that show walmart employees and managers demanding that the video be shut off.
    They requested it be shut off. A demand is a request made with authority(which they don't have over someone else's camera). They can ask people to leave and have them charged with trespassing when they refuse, but they cannot legally take or damage someone's property(delete images/video). They cannot legally make that person go anywhere, or refrain from leaving, unless they are preventing a forcible felony. To do so would be to potentially commit the crimes of assault, battery, false arrest, kidnapping, etc. and then even further into civil rights violations.

    The law maintains that the property owner and agents thereof may do with the property as they wish(rights have limits). They have the authority to grant and deny access based on their own choices(there are exceptions for places open to the public, e.g. You can't tell me I'm not welcome in your store because I'm black, but you can tell me I'm not welcome in your store because you don't like me as a person(I don't sugarcoat things, coddle the weak, etc. so they may have their own subjective reasoning for that, if they prefer liars to honest men that's their choice). Simply because people do things doesn't mean that they do it lawfully, especially if it's happening at Walmart. The lawsuits for LE violating rights are nearly innumerable, but there are quite a few of them on this forum.

  16. #16
    Regular Member RugarRev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by g21sfpistol View Post
    i bank at collins community. apparently they were told by a lawyer to put the sign up.
    g21...it would be interesting to know what this 'lawyer' said to the bank management to induce them to post a sign. I doubt such a small concern as the Collins CU would have an armed security person on staff during business hours.

    You could have quite an interesting and enlightening conversation with the CU management about how they plan to ensure the personal safety you and others on their property since they have, under presumed legal advice, assumed such an awesome responsibility.

    "Curious Minds" , and all that

  17. #17
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker6900 View Post
    Cite please? I understand what you are saying, but unless there is specific case law, or law of the general assembly, an owner of the property can control what happens on his/her property.

    Take Walmart for instance. It is widely known that their corporate policy is to allow firearms if the store resides in a state that allows it. However, they also have a corporate policy banning any photography without prior permission. There is a couple videos out there that show walmart employees and managers demanding that the video be shut off.
    OSHA, disability access laws, discrimination laws, health inspections, fire inspections, zoning laws, licenes regulations, immanent domain laws, ect., ect.. take your pick. you do not have control over you property when you open "to public accesses" business
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by RugarRev View Post
    g21...it would be interesting to know what this 'lawyer' said to the bank management to induce them to post a sign. I doubt such a small concern as the Collins CU would have an armed security person on staff during business hours.

    You could have quite an interesting and enlightening conversation with the CU management about how they plan to ensure the personal safety you and others on their property since they have, under presumed legal advice, assumed such an awesome responsibility.

    "Curious Minds" , and all that
    i was told, by someone who works there whos really high up, that if someone was to rob the bank just to let them take the money cause its insured. i brought up the "what if" its some nut job who has it in thier mind they are gunna kill someone? i didnt really get a answer. it was also stated that they dont want people open carrying into a bank and haveing people call the cops all the time. understandable since most people dont know the law anyway.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •