• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Get your permit to exercise your first amendment rights

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Listen children and you will hear
Of Grapeshot's ride to

.......The Hanover Tomato Festival:eek:

The story later. I'm beat and have 5 hours of video to process....but Grapeshot won the fight.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I just finished my first cup of coffee so here are the highlights. No video or pictures yet until I talk to my Lawyer...but soon.

Grapeshot got there before me and when I realized they were routing traffic through school property, I bypassed it, pulled over, unloaded and put the gun in the trunk. So I wasn't carrying.

River Rat, Scouser, Devilrobyhohn and maybe a few others showed up, said hello and went their own way. I stayed with Grapeshot. He wasn't asking people to take the stickers but they were asking for them in droves.

A staff member moved in and so did I with the camera. She said he couldn't hand them out and Grapeshot said he was just exercising his 1st amendment rights.

A little later the staff photographer moved in and so did I. Same conversation, same result.

Grapeshot got a tomato sandwich and sat down for a while, then back up at another end of the place.

A really mouthy staff member in a cowboy hat stormed over to Grapeshot and so did I. He told me to turn off the camera and I said no. Then he started to grab for it and I suggested that wasn't a good idea so he said he was calling the cops. (Maybe a tad more to the conversation:lol:)

Cops huddled with the Hat man and I could hear them through the shotgun mic. They said we weren't doing anything illegal and they weren't getting involved.

One of the big wheels with the event showed up, talked to the cops and walked over to Grapeshot, so did I. He asked me to turn the camera off and I said no.

Then he asked Grapeshot to come where it was quieter, I followed and was happy that I was away from the music. Plays hell with the audio.

He was more reasonable but had some pretty lopsided logic. He said they rented booths to make money for the county and exercising 1st amendment rights without a booth cost them money. Grapeshot wasn't falling for that at all and just refused to budge.

Finally the fellow said, What if we give you a booth? At that point we'd been there for hours, it was hot and a free booth sounded pretty good. So Grape agreed. Well, the booth consisted of a ten by ten foot piece of land with a chair...but what the hell, it was a place to sit down.

The whole time, people were gobbling up stickers.

I need to have a talk with the county before finishing up a story on this, but those are the highlights and if you're thinking it was a little heated......it was.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I didn't realize it until I played the video, but I do believe the Hatman brandished his finger at me.:lol:

ahatman1.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yep - was good times. Estimate gave out 3/4 roll of GSL stickers. People were extremely supportive.

Should have seen the expression on the nice man's face when I said, "If I'd have known that you were going to give us a booth, we'd have brought 10 people :lol: :lol:

Think we need to get a booth next year, set up a table w/canopy and a full VCDL spread of goodies + signage.

TFred

Yep - was good times. Estimate gave out 3/4 roll of GSL stickers. People were extremely supportive.

Should have seen the expression on the nice man's face when I said, "If I'd have known that you were going to give us a booth, we'd have brought 10 people :lol: :lol:

Think we need to get a booth next year, set up a table w/canopy and a full VCDL spread of goodies + signage.
How much do the cost? Just curious, how much do tables at gun shows cost?

TFred

thedevilrobyjohn

post in tomato breakfast thread

please see my post in tomato breakfast thread or move it for me to here...stickers were hot items

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

TFred

Haven't asked yet, but doubt it will be prohibitively expensive. Also will then be able to sell merchandise and solicite members, not just raise awareness.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Haven't asked yet, but doubt it will be prohibitively expensive. Also will then be able to sell merchandise and solicite members, not just raise awareness.

Speaking of tables....If you get the chance, remind Philip there is a NEW gunshow in Warsaw. Next week is the second show. They've told VCDL they have a FREE table there, but no one showed at the last show. That's a rich area for new members.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Speaking of tables....If you get the chance, remind Philip there is a NEW gunshow in Warsaw. Next week is the second show. They've told VCDL they have a FREE table there, but no one showed at the last show. That's a rich area for new members.

Will make a point of it.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

TFred

According to this http://www.co.hanover.va.us/parksrec/tomatofest/faq.htm#33 it was $125 this year. Do not know what next year's fee will be, but I'm escrowing $10 right now towards an application for 2014.

Shall we nominate Grapeshot as the one to use this year's application form and submit for 2014 ASAP? (He does have mad PayPal skilz.)

I propose that any funds received in excess of the actual application fee, up to an amount of $25.00, be allowed for the purchase of a pillow/cushion for Grapeshot to rest his bony parts on.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
According to this http://www.co.hanover.va.us/parksrec/tomatofest/faq.htm#33 it was $125 this year. Do not know what next year's fee will be, but I'm escrowing $10 right now towards an application for 2014.

Shall we nominate Grapeshot as the one to use this year's application form and submit for 2014 ASAP? (He does have mad PayPal skilz.)

I propose that any funds received in excess of the actual application fee, up to an amount of $25.00, be allowed for the purchase of a pillow/cushion for Grapeshot to rest his bony parts on.

stay safe.

Second the motion!

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member

stay safe.

Second the motion!

Aye

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

stay safe.

Second the motion!

Put it on PVC's list - feel certain VCDL will pay for it.

I don't want to be tied down to a booth, prefer to run with the free-range cats - Whoopie-ti-yi-yo

Last edited:

Neplusultra

I like free!

"he started to grab for it [the camera] and I suggested that wasn't a good idea"

Now that's funny!

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I wondered when I started this if it should really be in the breakfast thread, but it is a separate and very important matter.

We have rights which is more than a word, other than the right to keep and bear arms. If we lose one the very foundation is weakened and we are in danger of losing them all.

We ARE losing them though, a small piece at at time and it's mostly because of inaction on our part. I hear a lot about going along and correcting the matter later. The problem is, if you go along, the damage is done.

Hanover County is the Birthplace of Patrick Henry, my favorite of our founding fathers. Whenever someone tells me I can't exercise my rights and may be arrested if I do....I remember this part of one of the most moving speeches of all time:

What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?

Forbid it, Almighty God!

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!