• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Marked by your neighbor as a "gun concern location" on a Google App?

CCinMaine

it is easy enough to determine through simple conversation if any gun owners knows the basics of gun safety:

A gun should always be treated as if it is loaded
The muzzle should never be pointed at anything not to be killed or destroyed
Fingers are to stay off the trigger except when firing
Maintain awareness of the target and what is down range from the target
If a gun owner can not list these basic safety principles, or demonstrates a cavalier attitude toward gun safety, or becomes angry when you ask about it, then the location at which they store or use their guns should be marked as soon as it is feasible.

I would be pissed if someone asked me what the gun safety rules are to test me.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Agreed.

How hard is it to make an app like this?

I'm thinking: AssholeGeoMarker or something like that...

amzbrady

Mark every house in you neighborhood and watch the crime go down.
Maybe we should mark every political figure in the state in case they just go bustin down doors. See what happens when the cops just walk in and shoot McGinn 16 times after being startled out of bed.

Not sure what to think about the Gun Free Geo Marker app???

Last edited:

squeezeplae

WOW it seems some people are mad that the anti-gun laws did not get passed, and now are trying to recreate the interactive maps NY had.

Trigger Dr

I would be pissed if someone asked me what the gun safety rules are to test me.

Tell them to seek out a qualified NRA instructor, or the other option ...go shooting with me and I will show you. That way you will remember the rules much longer.

Difdi

Why not quote the entire thing? After reading it, I would use the app myself for that, with the criteria they suggest for whether you should mark someone.

A gun should always be treated as if it is loaded
The muzzle should never be pointed at anything not to be killed or destroyed
Fingers are to stay off the trigger except when firing
Maintain awareness of the target and what is down range from the target

Someone violating those rules is someone you should mark according to the site. Someone who obeys gun laws and doesn't act unsafe should not be marked, also according to the site.

Agreed.

How hard is it to make an app like this?

I'm thinking: AssholeGeoMarker or something like that...

They're Liberals, being called names is nothing new. Tag them with being "Anti-Civil Rights", that will really twist their brains.

Last edited:

Trigger Dr

I would tag the locations that I know that firearms are NOT presently owned and the owner of the property is anti. As such that location would definately be a hazard to my guns.

stealthyeliminator

I think its a stupid concept, honestly. Its not like you can tag the people with GPS trackers and have your Google maps redirect you around the city to avoid anyone tagged. Guess we could get to that point one day. But, as far as just tagging people's houses... So, what's the benefit other than just trying to piss people off or put social pressure on them? Its not like you go door to door to a ton of strangers' houses and you plan on using this app to avoid houses with irresponsible gun owners cause you think they might shoot you through the front door as soon as you hit the door bell. IMO it sounds like it was designed to put on social pressure but in reality will serve absolutely no practical purpose.

tombrewster421

I think its a stupid concept, honestly. Its not like you can tag the people with GPS trackers and have your Google maps redirect you around the city to avoid anyone tagged. Guess we could get to that point one day. But, as far as just tagging people's houses... So, what's the benefit other than just trying to piss people off or put social pressure on them? Its not like you go door to door to a ton of strangers' houses and you plan on using this app to avoid houses with irresponsible gun owners cause you think they might shoot you through the front door as soon as you hit the door bell. IMO it sounds like it was designed to put on social pressure but in reality will serve absolutely no practical purpose.

Maybe it was made by the DOJ to have citizens report gun owners for future confiscation. We all know that an anti will simply mark the home of ANY gun owner, because all guns are dangerous you know.

mikeyb

Idiot app is idiotic.

A quick skim of the "instructions" say don't report those that have guns, as it's a 2A right, don't report NRA/NSSF members, and don't report dangerous criminal activity as it might be risky. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. What are you supposed to report?

Are John and Jane Q. Public fully versed in state and federal laws to make a determination if there's a lawful or illegal discharge? I think not.

Personally, I believe that this app violates a reasonable expectation of privacy. I don't want people knowing what I have in my home. If strangers can use the app, with no verification on the accuracy of the tagging, what good is it?

EMNofSeattle

Idiot app is idiotic.

A quick skim of the "instructions" say don't report those that have guns, as it's a 2A right, don't report NRA/NSSF members, and don't report dangerous criminal activity as it might be risky. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. What are you supposed to report?

Are John and Jane Q. Public fully versed in state and federal laws to make a determination if there's a lawful or illegal discharge? I think not.

Personally, I believe that this app violates a reasonable expectation of privacy. I don't want people knowing what I have in my home. If strangers can use the app, with no verification on the accuracy of the tagging, what good is it?

unless you're being marked by government officials who learned about your guns through information recieved in connection with their capacity as a government agent then a right to privacy does not protect you in this regard...

amzbrady

As a response crate an app the marks all high profile left ninnies homes and a gun free zones.

this might be worse
Gunfree Geo Marker
This interactive map allows you to map gun free locations to include work places, schools and private residences. You will be able to annotate such information such as if there are any valuable items located inside, alarm systems, cctv systems, etc. Plus you can add additional information like how many children live at the residence, the best avenue of approach without being seen and much more. Since these "helpful" people are willing to help criminals find firearms, you can help those criminals find easy, soft targets for numerous crimes all from the safety of your own home thus moving the criminals away from targeting you and your family.

I wonder if someone were to mark someones home and they got shot during a robbery, would the one marking the home be able to be held responsible?

EMNofSeattle

this might be worse
Gunfree Geo Marker
This interactive map allows you to map gun free locations to include work places, schools and private residences. You will be able to annotate such information such as if there are any valuable items located inside, alarm systems, cctv systems, etc. Plus you can add additional information like how many children live at the residence, the best avenue of approach without being seen and much more. Since these "helpful" people are willing to help criminals find firearms, you can help those criminals find easy, soft targets for numerous crimes all from the safety of your own home thus moving the criminals away from targeting you and your family.

I wonder if someone were to mark someones home and they got shot during a robbery, would the one marking the home be able to be held responsible?

Wasn't there a website awhile ago that provided information for pedophiles on the best places to watch young children? I just remember something like that when reading your post