Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N & S Custom Fence, Inc. Anti-2A Company

N & S Custom Fence, Inc. Anti-2A Company

N&S Custom Fence, Inc.
    Owner: Mike Shamblin

Today, N&S Custom Fence was next door installing a fence for my neighbor. I walked up the sidewalk and asked one if the workers for a business card and told him I was interested in an estimate. Later, the owner rang my doorbell to speak with me about scheduling an estimate. I had just returned from town and was still OC'ing my 1911. The owner asked me if I was law enforcement, to which I answered no. His demeaner instantly changed and he became rather rude.

He asked if I had a permit to carry my gun. I informed him a permit is not required for open carry in the state of Virginia. In his ignorance, he told me I was wrong and that I was brandishing my firearm. Then he asked if I could not have my gun on me when his wife came around to give the estimate. I just shook my head, laughed a little and "whatever" as I could tell the conversation was going nowhere. Then, he starts in with "man, I'm not trying to," which is where I cut him off and told him "yes, you are trying to tell someone what the law is when you don't understand it yourself.". I told him he needs to read the laws and understand the laws before he goes around telling people what is legal or not legal. He got angry and told me to forget about the estimate to which I replied that was fine and I no longer wanted one from him. His last words as he walked away were, "this must be one rough neighborhood for someone to need a gun.". That is the logic behind many murder victims. "I live in a nice neighborhood/ town/city, so nothing bad could ever happen to me."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130713_155748_248.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	10607  
    Last edited by Dirty Pirate; 07-14-2013 at 06:17 AM.

Welcome to OCDO. Where have you been until now? Sign up for the VCDL ALERTS at www.vcdl.org and hopefully join as well.

F'burg seems to between two socially active parts of the Commonwealth. Come to the OC breakfasts, dinners and other events in/around Richmond to avoid NoVa traffic.

Amazing, aint it? Small business owner, in a time of sluggish economy, decides to pick a fight with a prospective customer. Is that the new business model VCU is teaching?

Be sure to send him a copy of your receipt from some other fence company when you get your new fence put in.

Are you suggesting that you disarm when you get home? Don't you know that the majority of home invasions happen in the home? (If anybody gives you grief about not disarming when you get in the door, remind them that the less administrative handling of the gun the less chance for a ND. Besides, you will probably tilt noticeably towards your weak side because your body is used to leaning that way to counterbalance the weight of your handgun. Looks funny. Don't do it.)

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Follow the money, he builds fences, one purpose of which is security. To him, better his expensive fence than your 1911. It's kind'a like going to a gun shop to buy a fence.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Regular Member Old Virginia Joe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Welcome to OCDO. Where have you been until now? Sign up for the VCDL ALERTS at www.vcdl.org and hopefully join as well.
    Yeah, Dirty Pirate---where HAVE you been? Sounds like you have a strong 2A perspective, and can quickly back it up on the fly, articulately, as needed. We need to reach more guys like you, and soon. Fetch some of your like-minded friends. Welcome!
    VCDL, Army Vet, Virginia Native

Hey, Libtards, it's the "Bill of Rights," not the "Bill of Needs" . . . . .

If the 2A does not apply to modern weapons, then the 1A does not apply to modern communications like the Internet! How do you like them apples!?

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

F'burg seems to between two socially active parts of the Commonwealth. Come to the OC breakfasts, dinners and other events in/around Richmond to avoid NoVa traffic.

Amazing, aint it? Small business owner, in a time of sluggish economy, decides to pick a fight with a prospective customer. Is that the new business model VCU is teaching?

Be sure to send him a copy of your receipt from some other fence company when you get your new fence put in.

Are you suggesting that you disarm when you get home? Don't you know that the majority of home invasions happen in the home? (If anybody gives you grief about not disarming when you get in the door, remind them that the less administrative handling of the gun the less chance for a ND. Besides, you will probably tilt noticeably towards your weak side because your body is used to leaning that way to counterbalance the weight of your handgun. Looks funny. Don't do it.)

stay safe.
    This. Common senses seems to be lacking with this fellow. I've never experienced anything like this. Guy must have more work than he can handle.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Name:  welcome.gif
Views: 384
Size:  9.4 KB You did fine. As Skid said go to www.vcdl.org and at least sign up for free newsletter, if you don't join.
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

stay safe.

Lol...Not suggesting I disarm when at home. I just meant I take the big one off my belt, so I am not banging into everything around the house. I keep one in my pocket while in and around the house.

I graduated Police Academy in GA back in 1993, but never worked in LE. I tend to blade when speaking to strangers. In this instance, I was a little more squared in the doorway. I like to keep my left hand on the door frame to allow me to push off it in case whoever comes to the door decides to invite themselves in. Distance is your friend and distance buys time for the draw. My right hand rested on the door level with my holster. That gives my the option of slamming the door as I push myself back inside or quickly drawing my weapon. Options are good to have.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome. It's good to be here and I'll check out the VCDL site.

! I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the most offensive thing about this encounter, the gall of someone to suggest how one carry and conduct themselves on their own property!

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    ! I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the most offensive thing about this encounter, the gall of someone to suggest how one carry and conduct themselves on their own property!

TFred

Indeed, it was boldly offensive if him to do so. My experience with those who are anti-gun has shown me there are about eight different breeds of this species. I am sure there are more and I will continue to work towards identifying other breeds as they are discovered.

1. Tree-hugging hippies -Believe injuring or killing in self defense is wrong.
    2. Sunshine and Love -Believe the world is a better place than it is.
    3. Turn the Other Cheek - Believe Jesus meant we should not defend ourselves because God will have final judgement. [Quick segeway: Actually, Jesus said "It has been said...". Find anywhere in the Bible where Jesus gives the law if God and begins with "It has been said.". I could be wrong but I an certain you won't find it . Besides, it sort of contradicts him telling his Disciples to buy a sword.]

OK, back on track...

4. It's the Police's Job to Protect Me: Believe law enforcement is always just around the corner.

5. Tough Guy: Believe their skills with their hands negates the need for a firearm. They probably believe they can dodge bullets and that no one could possibly defeat them in hand-to-hand combat. They also believe everyone should just resolve their difference with their hands.

6. Bully Tough Guy: Believe they have excellent MMA skills, but realize a gun would tip the scale in his opponent's favor. Would like to see guns banned to give them the upper hand in all arguments and confrontations.

7. Liberal:Believe ownership is wrong for everyone and you should not own one if they do not own one. Close in genetic make up with #1 and #2.

8. The Criminal: Believe a ban on guns would make their lives and "jobs" easier.

Founder's Club Member

TFred

That was the first thing that jumped out at me, too. Outrageous!!!
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Pirate View Post
    Indeed, it was boldly offensive if him to do so. My experience with those who are anti-gun has shown me there are about eight different breeds of this species. I am sure there are more and I will continue to work towards identifying other breeds as they are discovered.

3. Turn the Other Cheek - Believe Jesus meant we should not defend ourselves because God will have final judgement. [Quick segeway: Actually, Jesus said "It has been said...". Find anywhere in the Bible where Jesus gives the law if God and begins with "It has been said.". I could be wrong but I an certain you won't find it . Besides, it sort of contradicts him telling his Disciples to buy a sword.]

OK, back on track...

4. It's the Police's Job to Protect Me: Believe law enforcement is always just around the corner.

5. Tough Guy: Believe their skills with their hands negates the need for a firearm. They probably believe they can dodge bullets and that no one could possibly defeat them in hand-to-hand combat. They also believe everyone should just resolve their difference with their hands.

6. Bully Tough Guy: Believe they have excellent MMA skills, but realize a gun would tip the scale in his opponent's favor. Would like to see guns banned to give them the upper hand in all arguments and confrontations.

7. Liberal:Believe ownership is wrong for everyone and you should not own one if they do not own one. Close in genetic make up with #1 and #2.

8. The Criminal: Believe a ban on guns would make their lives and "jobs" easier.

+1

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Don't fence me in........particularly with ignorance.

If your neighbor is right next door, then you will only need 3 more sides enclosed
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Found this on Wilipedia:
    Fencing is the sport of fighting with swords. The most common version of fencing today, also called olympic fencing or competitive fencing, is divided into three weapon categories: foil, sabre and épée. Classical fencing uses the same three weapons, but approaches fencing as a martial art.

It would seem that this individual doesn't appreciate the difference between the fencing he sells and the fencing he tried to do with you. Verbal fencing is an art. You gave a good accounting of yourself. En Garde!
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

OK, back on track...

I like the new guy!!

Welcome to OCDO. Make yourself at home bud!
    Additional text for your reading pleasure...

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HearseGuy View Post
    I like the new guy!!

Yep...He'll do well if he doesn't fall in with bad company and start breaking rule 8.

BTW Welcome to the site!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Don't fence me in........particularly with ignorance.

If your neighbor is right next door, then you will only need 3 more sides enclosed
    That part did work out good for me. I am on a corner lot, so I have one side not adjacent to anyone. Now, if only the neighbor behind me would fence his yard, I'd have only one side to pay for...lol

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HearseGuy View Post
    I like the new guy!!

I would add #9: The RINO who's motto is "FOOL YOU"

I don't know anything about their stance on 2A issues, but I have several friends who have used these folks in the Fredericksburg area:

http://www.triplekfence.net/

TFred

Ha, I guess I should add: with no complaints!
    Last edited by TFred; 07-15-2013 at 12:30 AM.

That part did work out good for me. I am on a corner lot, so I have one side not adjacent to anyone. Now, if only the neighbor behind me would fence his yard, I'd have only one side to pay for...lol
    But you might b able to cut your cost in half, no matter how many sides you need to enclose.

§ 55-320. Recovery of amount due in connection with division fence.

Any sum which may be due and payable by one adjoining landowner to another in pursuance of any of the provisions of §§ 55-318 and 55-319 may be recovered by motion, action or warrant, according to the amount.
    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

But you might b able to cut your cost in half, no matter how many sides you need to enclose.
    I've always considered that to be the "How to pi** off your neighbors with the help of the government" section of code.

TFred

I've always considered that to be the "How to pi** off your neighbors with the help of the government" section of code.

TFred
    And there are some neighbors who deserve it. Not many, but they are out there.

It helps to know that the laws on fences are virtually unchanged since colonial times when there were fewer neighbors whose curtilage abbutted yours, and fences were more about keeping your livestock in and someone else's out. Actual property lines were not as clearly marked, thus "beating the metes and bounds" was a literal beating at each spot where the propertty line changed direction so the young heir would never forget where his future landhold began and ended.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    And there are some neighbors who deserve it. Not many, but they are out there.
    I'd say that they were pretty much in the majority these days. "Love thy neighbor" came from a time it took a half a day to walk to his house

Founder's Club Member
    Welcome to OCDO Dirty Pirate! Glad you were willing to address this apparently overworked business man and inform us of his hostile business.

TFred
    Easily explained. "Those" types of folks do not believe that your private property is actually your private property. They believe that we are permitted to reside on the collective's property out of the goodness of the collective's collective heart.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

TFred
    He can kiss my ask me no more questions.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast