• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

N & S Custom Fence, Inc. Anti-2A Company

Dirty Pirate

N&S Custom Fence, Inc.
Owner: Mike Shamblin

Today, N&S Custom Fence was next door installing a fence for my neighbor. I walked up the sidewalk and asked one if the workers for a business card and told him I was interested in an estimate. Later, the owner rang my doorbell to speak with me about scheduling an estimate. I had just returned from town and was still OC'ing my 1911. The owner asked me if I was law enforcement, to which I answered no. His demeaner instantly changed and he became rather rude.

He asked if I had a permit to carry my gun. I informed him a permit is not required for open carry in the state of Virginia. In his ignorance, he told me I was wrong and that I was brandishing my firearm. Then he asked if I could not have my gun on me when his wife came around to give the estimate. I just shook my head, laughed a little and "whatever" as I could tell the conversation was going nowhere. Then, he starts in with "man, I'm not trying to," which is where I cut him off and told him "yes, you are trying to tell someone what the law is when you don't understand it yourself.". I told him he needs to read the laws and understand the laws before he goes around telling people what is legal or not legal. He got angry and told me to forget about the estimate to which I replied that was fine and I no longer wanted one from him. His last words as he walked away were, "this must be one rough neighborhood for someone to need a gun.". That is the logic behind many murder victims. "I live in a nice neighborhood/ town/city, so nothing bad could ever happen to me."

Attachments

• IMG_20130713_155748_248.jpg
    IMG_20130713_155748_248.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO. Where have you been until now? Sign up for the VCDL ALERTS at www.vcdl.org and hopefully join as well.

F'burg seems to between two socially active parts of the Commonwealth. Come to the OC breakfasts, dinners and other events in/around Richmond to avoid NoVa traffic. :D

Amazing, aint it? Small business owner, in a time of sluggish economy, decides to pick a fight with a prospective customer. Is that the new business model VCU is teaching?

Be sure to send him a copy of your receipt from some other fence company when you get your new fence put in.

Are you suggesting that you disarm when you get home? Don't you know that the majority of home invasions happen in the home? (If anybody gives you grief about not disarming when you get in the door, remind them that the less administrative handling of the gun the less chance for a ND. Besides, you will probably tilt noticeably towards your weak side because your body is used to leaning that way to counterbalance the weight of your handgun. Looks funny. Don't do it.)

stay safe.

Old Virginia Joe

Welcome to OCDO. Where have you been until now? Sign up for the VCDL ALERTS at www.vcdl.org and hopefully join as well.

Yeah, Dirty Pirate---where HAVE you been? Sounds like you have a strong 2A perspective, and can quickly back it up on the fly, articulately, as needed. We need to reach more guys like you, and soon. Fetch some of your like-minded friends. Welcome!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

F'burg seems to between two socially active parts of the Commonwealth. Come to the OC breakfasts, dinners and other events in/around Richmond to avoid NoVa traffic. :D

Amazing, aint it? Small business owner, in a time of sluggish economy, decides to pick a fight with a prospective customer. Is that the new business model VCU is teaching?

Be sure to send him a copy of your receipt from some other fence company when you get your new fence put in.

Are you suggesting that you disarm when you get home? Don't you know that the majority of home invasions happen in the home? (If anybody gives you grief about not disarming when you get in the door, remind them that the less administrative handling of the gun the less chance for a ND. Besides, you will probably tilt noticeably towards your weak side because your body is used to leaning that way to counterbalance the weight of your handgun. Looks funny. Don't do it.)

stay safe.

This. Common senses seems to be lacking with this fellow. I've never experienced anything like this. Guy must have more work than he can handle.

Dirty Pirate

stay safe.

Lol...Not suggesting I disarm when at home. I just meant I take the big one off my belt, so I am not banging into everything around the house. I keep one in my pocket while in and around the house.

I graduated Police Academy in GA back in 1993, but never worked in LE. I tend to blade when speaking to strangers. In this instance, I was a little more squared in the doorway. I like to keep my left hand on the door frame to allow me to push off it in case whoever comes to the door decides to invite themselves in. Distance is your friend and distance buys time for the draw. My right hand rested on the door level with my holster. That gives my the option of slamming the door as I push myself back inside or quickly drawing my weapon. Options are good to have.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome. It's good to be here and I'll check out the VCDL site.

TFred

! I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the most offensive thing about this encounter, the gall of someone to suggest how one carry and conduct themselves on their own property!

:banghead:

TFred

Dirty Pirate

! I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the most offensive thing about this encounter, the gall of someone to suggest how one carry and conduct themselves on their own property!

TFred

Indeed, it was boldly offensive if him to do so. My experience with those who are anti-gun has shown me there are about eight different breeds of this species. I am sure there are more and I will continue to work towards identifying other breeds as they are discovered.

1. Tree-hugging hippies -Believe injuring or killing in self defense is wrong.
2. Sunshine and Love -Believe the world is a better place than it is.
3. Turn the Other Cheek - Believe Jesus meant we should not defend ourselves because God will have final judgement. [Quick segeway: Actually, Jesus said "It has been said...". Find anywhere in the Bible where Jesus gives the law if God and begins with "It has been said.". I could be wrong but I an certain you won't find it . Besides, it sort of contradicts him telling his Disciples to buy a sword.]

OK, back on track...

4. It's the Police's Job to Protect Me: Believe law enforcement is always just around the corner.

5. Tough Guy: Believe their skills with their hands negates the need for a firearm. They probably believe they can dodge bullets and that no one could possibly defeat them in hand-to-hand combat. They also believe everyone should just resolve their difference with their hands.

6. Bully Tough Guy: Believe they have excellent MMA skills, but realize a gun would tip the scale in his opponent's favor. Would like to see guns banned to give them the upper hand in all arguments and confrontations.

7. Liberal:Believe ownership is wrong for everyone and you should not own one if they do not own one. Close in genetic make up with #1 and #2.

8. The Criminal: Believe a ban on guns would make their lives and "jobs" easier.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

TFred

That was the first thing that jumped out at me, too. Outrageous!!!

POPS VA

Indeed, it was boldly offensive if him to do so. My experience with those who are anti-gun has shown me there are about eight different breeds of this species. I am sure there are more and I will continue to work towards identifying other breeds as they are discovered.

3. Turn the Other Cheek - Believe Jesus meant we should not defend ourselves because God will have final judgement. [Quick segeway: Actually, Jesus said "It has been said...". Find anywhere in the Bible where Jesus gives the law if God and begins with "It has been said.". I could be wrong but I an certain you won't find it . Besides, it sort of contradicts him telling his Disciples to buy a sword.]

OK, back on track...

4. It's the Police's Job to Protect Me: Believe law enforcement is always just around the corner.

5. Tough Guy: Believe their skills with their hands negates the need for a firearm. They probably believe they can dodge bullets and that no one could possibly defeat them in hand-to-hand combat. They also believe everyone should just resolve their difference with their hands.

6. Bully Tough Guy: Believe they have excellent MMA skills, but realize a gun would tip the scale in his opponent's favor. Would like to see guns banned to give them the upper hand in all arguments and confrontations.

7. Liberal:Believe ownership is wrong for everyone and you should not own one if they do not own one. Close in genetic make up with #1 and #2.

8. The Criminal: Believe a ban on guns would make their lives and "jobs" easier.

+1:D

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Don't fence me in........particularly with ignorance.

If your neighbor is right next door, then you will only need 3 more sides enclosed :banana:

2a4all

Found this on Wilipedia:
Fencing is the sport of fighting with swords. The most common version of fencing today, also called olympic fencing or competitive fencing, is divided into three weapon categories: foil, sabre and épée. Classical fencing uses the same three weapons, but approaches fencing as a martial art.​

It would seem that this individual doesn't appreciate the difference between the fencing he sells and the fencing he tried to do with you. Verbal fencing is an art. You gave a good accounting of yourself. En Garde!

HearseGuy

OK, back on track...

I like the new guy!!

Welcome to OCDO. Make yourself at home bud!

Dirty Pirate

Don't fence me in........particularly with ignorance.

If your neighbor is right next door, then you will only need 3 more sides enclosed :banana:

That part did work out good for me. I am on a corner lot, so I have one side not adjacent to anyone. Now, if only the neighbor behind me would fence his yard, I'd have only one side to pay for...lol

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
That part did work out good for me. I am on a corner lot, so I have one side not adjacent to anyone. Now, if only the neighbor behind me would fence his yard, I'd have only one side to pay for...lol

But you might b able to cut your cost in half, no matter how many sides you need to enclose.

§ 55-320. Recovery of amount due in connection with division fence.

Any sum which may be due and payable by one adjoining landowner to another in pursuance of any of the provisions of §§ 55-318 and 55-319 may be recovered by motion, action or warrant, according to the amount.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I've always considered that to be the "How to pi** off your neighbors with the help of the government" section of code.

TFred

And there are some neighbors who deserve it. Not many, but they are out there.

It helps to know that the laws on fences are virtually unchanged since colonial times when there were fewer neighbors whose curtilage abbutted yours, and fences were more about keeping your livestock in and someone else's out. Actual property lines were not as clearly marked, thus "beating the metes and bounds" was a literal beating at each spot where the propertty line changed direction so the young heir would never forget where his future landhold began and ended.

stay safe.