• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greetings from Gouldsboro, New Member.

USMCFF

Hi my name is joe from gouldsboro moved to PA over a year ago for PRNJ ( People Republic of New Jersey) and have not bin happier, i have bin reading for over a year now about OC in the state of PA and have decided today is the day i finally go for it. I am in the process of getting my Carry permit and was wondering if anybody could give me any advice on what to expect from my First OC.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
Well, according to the Internet, Gouldsboro is up there in Wayne County near Scranton or Wilkes-Barre or something like that - the other end of the state from me.

What to expect? Much of that depends on how old you are, how you dress and how you carry yourself. The first few times will probably seem totally frightening. Know the law, be self-confident and all should be okay.

And, if you've been reading this (and the PAFOA Forum) for a year now, you should know that it's a License to Carry Firearms, not a Carry Permit. Open carry doesn't require a license or permit (except in Philadelphia), but you already know that.

Grow a thick skin and prepare to get flamed occasionally. We all say something stupid on-line and get what-for-and-why over it.

Welcome to the Dark Side.

USMCFF

It went well actually

Little background on myself as i realized after i posted that I left this out. So about me I am a 28 year old man, married, former marine corps as well as a former Volunteer EMT and Firefighter, In NJ I volunteered on Garfield Rescue Engine 3 / Marine Rescue 33 in my hometown of Garfield NJ and will hopefully join the local department by me soon it has bin a very busy year, between the storm, then needing to fix the damage to our house from the storm, working OT to pay some of the bills insurance did not cover,then getting the wedding together and having the wedding. I dress rather normal, usually just shorts and a t-shirt with a pair of combat boots and my USMC Vet hat, I guess I am a bit old fashioned ( for most people my young age don't do these things anymore) as i still say ma'am and sir, please and thank you, as well as hold doors open for women and children and if i see somebody stuck in a ditch or on the side of the road I try to offer what help I can. I have been reading this site for a while and i know there is no need for a permit to open carry, my bad habits from NJ of calling it a carry permit followed me.( good luck getting anything in that state) Other than a few double takes, and one or two disgusted head nods it went rather well. I was a bit nervous because i know a lot of people on here say they Open Carry and get roasted on what seems a daily basis. But now that i see its not so bad, i might continue to open carry from time to time after i get my Concealed Permit.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
But now that i see its not so bad, i might continue to open carry from time to time after i get my Concealed Permit.

It's not a Concealed Permit, it's a License to Carry Firearms!

A License to Carry Firearms allows you to:

a. Carry a firearm concealed on or about your person.

b. Carry/transport said firearm in or on a vehicle (horse, bicycle, yard tractor, farm tractor, automobile, truck, bus, train, skateboard, etc.).

c. Carry openly or concealed in a City of the First Class (the only one of which is Philadelphia).

d. Carry openly or concealed during a Declared State of Emergency.

e. Carry concealed in a State Park (any carry is prohibited per State Code, but a change to State Law made Concealed Carry okay).

Whereas, a Concealed Permit allows you to:

a. Carry a firearm concealed on or about your person.

Last edited:

HyDef

You should have no issue out in the boonies of Gouldsboro. You also shouldn't have any issues in the General Scranton/Mid Valley area. After the Dickson dozen incident a few years back, all local PD seem to know enough to leave open carriers alone.

david.ross

e. Carry concealed in a State Park (any carry is prohibited per State Code, but a change to State Law made Concealed Carry okay).

Excuse me, What about open carry? :)

From HB40
(2) Authorize any Commonwealth agency to regulate the possession of firearms in any manner inconsistent with the provisions of this title.

jahwarrior

You should have no issue out in the boonies of Gouldsboro. You also shouldn't have any issues in the General Scranton/Mid Valley area. After the Dickson dozen incident a few years back, all local PD seem to know enough to leave open carriers alone.

Yeah, you think they would, but I've exchanged "pleasantries" with the occasional po-po around here: Scranton, Dickson City, Jessup, Olyphant, and Dunmore cops still have need to give me ****, though none have pressed the issue lately.

I lived in near Gouldsboro when I first moved to PA...from the Bronx. Talk about culture shock! I lived a few miles past town, off of 507, before the 191/196 junction, in Pocono Springs. Gouldsboro is a nice little town...if you're local. They don't quite warm up to immigrants, but are at least polite.

Places you must check out, if you haven't already: Kay's Diner, in Moscow. Best food in the area, period. It's across from Bill's Shursave Plaza. Mendicino's pizza isn't bad, either. There's a gun shop in Gouldsboro, but it's kinds hard to find. It's located behind the small engine repair shop in town, near the road that takes you towards the Army Depot in Tobyhanna. The closest ones after that are located in Hamlin (Hunter's Gallery), and Northeast Firearms (Honesdale). I_the folks in Hamlin are super friendly; the guys in Honesdale are **********.

You have two state parks close to you, Gouldsboro SP and Tobyhanna SP. Both are beautiful. If you fish or hunt, you're in a great area.

Don't worry so much about the LTCF/permit semantics game. Everyone knows what you're talking about, whatever term you use. I know there's a difference, but it just makes you sound like a pedantic jerk, LOL.

Enjoy your new home. I kinda regret moving to Lackawanna County.

jahwarrior

Excuse me, What about open carry? :)

From HB40
(2) Authorize any Commonwealth agency to regulate the possession of firearms in any manner inconsistent with the provisions of this title.

DCNR is refusing to acknowledge the issue now. At first, they denied the statute applied to them, because of their state agency status; now, after being contacted by numerous interested parties, they're remaining mum on the subject. I've open carried in Lackawanna State Park a few times, without issue, but I didn't run into any DCNR staff, either. I think someone, or some people, might have to make themselves test cases to resolve the issue, to be honest.

david.ross

DCNR is refusing to acknowledge the issue now. At first, they denied the statute applied to them, because of their state agency status; now, after being contacted by numerous interested parties, they're remaining mum on the subject. I've open carried in Lackawanna State Park a few times, without issue, but I didn't run into any DCNR staff, either. I think someone, or some people, might have to make themselves test cases to resolve the issue, to be honest.

I know we don't exactly get along, but would you love to organize a open carry camping trip to one of the state park camp grounds? I'd love to go fishing if there are any grounds in the area. I'm sure there are camp grounds which are checked by the DCNR on a regular basis to make sure everything is good.

Badger71

I know we don't exactly get along, but would you love to organize a open carry camping trip to one of the state park camp grounds? I'd love to go fishing if there are any grounds in the area. I'm sure there are camp grounds which are checked by the DCNR on a regular basis to make sure everything is good.

i got this directly from Keystone State Park's website. Taking my family there today for a few days of camping.

"Firearms and archery equipment used for hunting may be uncased and ready for use only in authorized hunting areas during hunting seasons. In areas not open to hunting or during non-hunting seasons, firearms and archery equipment shall be kept in the owner’s car, trailer or leased campsite. The only exception is that law enforcement officers and individuals with a valid Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms may carry said firearm concealed on their person while they are within the park."