• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No 1st Amend. Rights at Shockoe Bottom Tomato Festival

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
For the same reason I could not attend Hanover I may have to pass this as well. It will be a last-minute decision.

If an offer to pay for parking will stir up a surrogate (who otherwise most likely would not attend) I will engage a proxy as back-up in case I cannot make it.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
For the same reason I could not attend Hanover I may have to pass this as well. It will be a last-minute decision.

If an offer to pay for parking will stir up a surrogate (who otherwise most likely would not attend) I will engage a proxy as back-up in case I cannot make it.

stay safe.

It's only Sunday. I'm not sure what my schedule is on Monday yet:eek:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
hey grapeshot it's places like this i would like to set up a VCDL booth

The last time we went there ....among other things...we were stopped by a Viet Nam Vet who thanked us for our work, then said "But I could kill you both with my hands right now":eek:

City people are very interesting!:uhoh:

scouser

Their web site says it's on Sat. 7/24

I think you will see a VCDL presence at more and more of these events.

7/24 is a Wednesday.

Website mentions 7/20, which is this coming Saturday, from 11am until 4pm.

As I'll have the 3 year old for company that morning and afternoon, I'm not even going to entertain any thoughts of taking him there and trying to find a suitable place to park so we'll probably just go for the usual breakfast instead. Hopefully I'll catch up with you all this week anyway.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Their web site says it's on Sat. 7/24

I think you will see a VCDL presence at more and more of these events.

7/24 is a Wednesday.

Website mentions 7/20, which is this coming Saturday, from 11am until 4pm.

As I'll have the 3 year old for company that morning and afternoon, I'm not even going to entertain any thoughts of taking him there and trying to find a suitable place to park so we'll probably just go for the usual breakfast instead. Hopefully I'll catch up with you all this week anyway.

:banghead: woops. Sat July 20th.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
hey grapeshot it's places like this i would like to set up a VCDL booth

Call up Philip and ask him to have the booth materials made available to you. It's (iirc) three medium rubber tubs, three PVC pipes, and the VCDL banner. Sets up on a standard folding table (6 foot or is it 8 foot?) that most places use. Pick it up Friday, return it Sunday.

VCDL is you, and you are VCDL.

stay safe.

va_tazdad

Last weekend

For my birthday, The Princess and Alex presented me with an apple pie she made after taking my bride and I out to dinner. I have been rationing it out a little at a time to make it last. Saturday, they brought me my 1st yellow tomatoes this year and a baby Rhubarb pie.

This morning, I sacrificed the 1st tomato on an alter of 2 croissants with Hellmann's (of course) and had another piece of apple pie.

It don't get much better than that!

(And I didn’t have to deal with crowds and parking!) ;>)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Dealing with crowds and parking - just part of the adventure.

Dolphins click and birds sing when the GSL stickers are revealed - mother nature likes a good show. I know 'cause I was there when she was planning for the defense of the "little ones."

Tiger defending her cubs.
picture.aspx

Lioness defending her young.

Bears do it too.

Why shouldn't people do it?

http://montgomerycountypolicereporter.com/mother-takes-on-home-invaders/

Bottom line - If we don't get the message out, who will?...........Guns Save Lives!

Last edited:

papa bear

The last time we went there ....among other things...we were stopped by a Viet Nam Vet who thanked us for our work, then said "But I could kill you both with my hands right now":eek:

City people are very interesting!:uhoh:

sorry to be OT, but can you elaborate on that more? did he mean he thinks he could kill you both? i mean people armed with a gun? confident in his ability ain't he
i had a experience with a Veit Nam person at the Hillsvile show, that asked me to explain to him, what i meant by GSL. i went to explain the times that i knew of that a firearm saved my life. after about the 9th one he said, OK, OK, and i said multiply that millions of times in this country

BTW. who is that in your latest picture on photobucket

Call up Philip and ask him to have the booth materials made available to you. It's (iirc) three medium rubber tubs, three PVC pipes, and the VCDL banner. Sets up on a standard folding table (6 foot or is it 8 foot?) that most places use. Pick it up Friday, return it Sunday.

VCDL is you, and you are VCDL.

stay safe.

SKID, I am working on getting some at Hillsvile. i think it is only a positive thing, but some others don't think so.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
sorry to be OT, but can you elaborate on that more? did he mean he thinks he could kill you both? i mean people armed with a gun? confident in his ability ain't he
i had a experience with a Veit Nam person at the Hillsvile show, that asked me to explain to him, what i meant by GSL. i went to explain the times that i knew of that a firearm saved my life. after about the 9th one he said, OK, OK, and i said multiply that millions of times in this country

BTW. who is that in your latest picture on photobucket

Too much time in Bushes, too many beers back home and yeah, he probably thought he could kill us both. Never know, maybe he could but he didn't.
You can't explain anything to someone in his shape. Just talk softly and remember how he got that way.

Grapeshot is the young fellow in the picture.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
1st Amend. rights denied AGAIN!

Had an event today - 1st Amend. rights denied by a representative of the City of Richmond.

First let me describe my methodology - I do not ask anyone if the want a GSL sticker. I initiate no conversation other than "How are you? or Nice day." I have a roll of stickers in a bag on my shoulder with a strip hanging out and a sticker on my thumb.....which obviously people can see. If the say "yes, I'd like one" or similar, I let them take it from me. This may be a fine point, but I am not pursuing them, I am not in the least actively trying to hand them anything. I am there as a walking billboard for 2nd Amendment rights. If someone feels the same way, they must solicit me and request a GSL sticker which I will willingly allow them to take from me.

Back to the "event":
Shortly after my arrival I was approached by a member of the staff who informed me that I was welcome to make several rounds of the Festival and come back any time I wanted. I said I would be staying until I decided to leave. He replied, "OK" and walked off.

After about 60 minutes of having enthusiastic attendees of the Shockoe Tomato Festival asking me for GSL stickers I was approached by an employee of the city of Richmond - a Mr. Bolos. This city employee said "We have a rule against any political campaigning here. I'm going to have to ask you to stop that." I said I was not "campaigning" and explained per above. Also I asked who is the "we" that you suggest you represent - the City of Richmond or this alleged non-profit organization that you claim can make the rules? No satisfactory answer was given.

A Richmond PD Sgt. had walked over to listen in on the conversation. When I asked him what his position would be, he said if you don't stop what you are doing, I will have to charge you with trespassing. The officer was actually most understanding and patient, not pushing any point of view. I found his actions most reasonable. I did however, elect to not "hold court" on the street and departed directly.

IMO - Mr. Bolos has a definite conflict of interest. He was wearing City of Richmond ID - as such he should not be speaking for a venue (if in fact there is one). FOIA requests to follow.

Will review my digital recording for more detail and proceed to see what develops.

Once again the City of Richmond has expressed there disdain for our rights. I don't believe for a minute that my 1911 had nothing to do with it - they were just looking for any excuse. Had Ken Cuccinelli been there passing out Cuccinelli for Governor stickers, do you think he would have been asked to stop or leave? NO WAY!

Once again the City of Richmond has expressed their disdain for our rights. I'll be back and I'm bring my rights with me!

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm guessing its George Bolos:

http://eservices.ci.richmond.va.us/...EORGE+BOLOS&eeid=12088&Finish.x=13&Finish.y=8

Last Name: BOLOS
First Name: GEORGE
Title: MARKET MANAGER - 17TH ST. FARMERS MKT.
Phone Number: 804.646.7001
Department: ECONOMIC/COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT
Email: GEORGE.BOLOS@RICHMONDGOV.COM

Thank you - that is it. Seeing it in print is much better than raw memory.

Appears that Lee Downey is the Director of Economic & Community Development
E-Mail: Lee.Downey@richmondgov.com
Phone: 804.646.5633

Last edited:

thedevilrobyjohn

After about 60 minutes of having enthusiastic attendees of the Shockoe Tomato Festival asking me for GSL stickers I was approached by an employee of the city of Richmond - a Mr. Bollo.

First let me describe my methodology - I do not ask anyone if the want a GSL sticker. I initiate no conversation other than "How are you? or Nice day." I have a roll of stickers in a bag on my shoulder with a strip hanging out and a sticker on my thumb.....which obviously people can see. If the say "yes, I'd like one" or similar, I let them take it from me. This may be a fine point, but I am not pursuing them, I am not in the least actively trying to hand them anything. I am there as a walking billboard for 2nd Amendment rights. If someone feels the same way, they must solicit me and request a GSL sticker which I will willingly allow them to take from me.

Back to the "event":
Shortly after my arrival I was approached by a member of the staff who informed me that I was welcome to make several rounds of the Festival and come back any time I wanted. I said I would be staying until I decided to leave. He replied, "OK" and walked off.

After about 60 minutes of having enthusiastic attendees of the Shockoe Tomato Festival asking me for GSL stickers I was approached by an employee of the city of Richmond - a Mr. Bollo. This city employee said "We have a rule against any political campaigning here. I'm going to have to ask you to stop that." I said I was not "campaigning" and explained per above. Also I asked who is the "we" that you suggest you represent - the City of Richmond or this alleged non-profit organization that you claim can make the rules? No satisfactory answer was given.

A Richmond PD Sgt. had walked over to listen in on the conversation. When I asked him what his position would be, he said if you don't stop what you are doing, I will have to charge you with trespassing. The officer was actually most understanding and patient, not pushing any point of view. I found his actions most reasonable. I did however, elect to not "hold court" on the street and departed directly.

IMO - Mr. Bollo has a definite conflict of interest. He was wearing City of Richmond ID, Parks and Recreation - as such he should not be speaking for a venue (if in fact there is one). FOIA requests to follow.

Will review my digital recording for more detail and proceed to see what develops. MR. Bollo's name may be spelled with one "L" = Bolo.

Once again the City of Richmond has expressed there disdain for our rights. I don't believe for a minute that my 1911 had nothing to do with it - they were just looking for any excuse. Had Ken Cuccinelli been there passing out Cuccinelli for Governor stickers, do you think he would have been asked to stop or leave? NO WAY!

Once again the City of Richmond has expressed their disdain for our rights. I'll be back and I'm bring my rights with me!

looked for you then told by police that you had been asked to move across the street because it was a private festival. He said you were a very intelligent and nice man, he joked with me about having his back with all of my guns. He was a large black city cop that joked and certainly upheld our rights to arm ourselves and open carry. It was a pleasant encounter........then, as
I was shopping...wait, this is for skid...."once upon a time in Richmond",,,I was shopping and someone shoved me...now im not the smallest or friendliest looking guy and I was open carrying three pistols. I turn around and small mute woman was motioning me to leave her presence because guns scared her....now she could only babble and make gestures but thats what she signaled. I was a paying customer at the booth beside her so I did not budge. She went crazy like she had ants in her pants. She coundnt sing and she couldnt dance, so we put some ants in her pants...well eventually she said to call the police, well many were open carrying and the police were everywhere. Once I got pissed enough, I said....lady if anyone needs a gun, it is you because you cannot scream for help or call the police, you idiot

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Esanders2008

looked for you then told by police that you had been asked to move across the street because it was a private festival. He said you were a very intelligent and nice man, he joked with me about having his back with all of my guns. He was a large black city cop that joked and certainly upheld our rights to arm ourselves and open carry. It was a pleasant encounter........then, as
I was shopping...wait, this is for skid...."once upon a time in Richmond",,,I was shopping and someone shoved me...now im not the smallest or friendliest looking guy and I was open carrying three pistols. I turn around and small mute woman was motioning me to leave her presence because guns scared her....now she could only babble and make gestures but thats what she signaled. I was a paying customer at the booth beside her so I did not budge. She went crazy like she had ants in her pants. She coundnt sing and she couldnt dance, so we put some ants in her pants...well eventually she said to call the police, well many were open carrying and the police were everywhere. Once I got pissed enough, I said....lady if anyone needs a gun, it is you because you cannot scream for help or call the police, you idiot

I don't think think calling a little old lady an "idiot" is at all helpful to our cause. But, I agree with your sentiment.

Last edited: