• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No 1st Amend. Rights at Shockoe Bottom Tomato Festival

Marco

I don't think think calling a little old lady an "idiot" is at all helpful to our cause. But, I agree with your sentiment.
While it my not be helpful it sure is funny, and probably a true statement.

Someone that is truly scared of firearms or armed people isn't going to accost said individual. So the only logical conclusion is their an idiot.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
looked for you then told by police that you had been asked to move across the street because it was a private festival. He said you were a very intelligent and nice man, he joked with me about having his back with all of my guns. He was a large black city cop that joked and certainly upheld our rights to arm ourselves and open carry. It was a pleasant encounter........then, as
I was shopping...wait, this is for skid...."once upon a time in Richmond",,,I was shopping and someone shoved me...now im not the smallest or friendliest looking guy and I was open carrying three pistols. I turn around and small mute woman was motioning me to leave her presence because guns scared her....now she could only babble and make gestures but thats what she signaled. I was a paying customer at the booth beside her so I did not budge. She went crazy like she had ants in her pants. She coundnt sing and she couldnt dance, so we put some ants in her pants...well eventually she said to call the police, well many were open carrying and the police were everywhere. Once I got pissed enough, I said....lady if anyone needs a gun, it is you because you cannot scream for help or call the police, you idiot

What a disgusting attitude to someone who was attempting to communicate.

I'm betting the "babble and make gestures" was in fact her native language - American Sign Language, or ASL.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

I'm betting the "babble and make gestures" was in fact her native language - American Sign Language, or ASL.

I wouldn't say it's disgusting Tess. I can't read ASL, I can read finger spelling so I can keep up if they spell out each word, but even if she spoke fluent English, squalling about being armed is annoying and apparently she kept it up.

An annoying person with a handicap who wants to be treated like any other annoying individual, has to realize their inability to speak isn't going to make them any more welcome.

thedevilrobyjohn

I wouldn't say it's disgusting Tess. I can't read ASL, I can read finger spelling so I can keep up if they spell out each word, but even if she spoke fluent English, squalling about being armed is annoying and apparently she kept it up.

An annoying person with a handicap who wants to be treated like any other annoying individual, has to realize their inability to speak isn't going to make them any more welcome.

at least I didnt have her arrested for assault in front of many witnesses. You had to be there, it was disgusting and it was all her doing...one would have thought that I had tried to rob her or **** in the floor....I wasnt even at her booth...she came at me like a bee out of its nest....seriously , though....how the hell would she get help in an attack....should take up a donation and present her with a nice airweight .38

thedevilrobyjohn

I care 24 hrs a day for two disabled people and lived my life with a completely retarded family member(no not me). I am not insensative. With such an irrational fear of guns why doesnt she assault ploice officers... because she thinks she can get away with it on a family man, wouldnt go over so easy with a cop now would it. Im a little pissed at being confronted and targeted. If I wrre standing there with my boyfriend holding his hand and she went crazy on us pushing us with her irrational homophobia....then what? Ill just bet a good many people would have said something to her but my evil gun.....stop sounding like
and standing with antis

Tess

Founder's Club Member
looked for you then told by police that you had been asked to move across the street because it was a private festival. He said you were a very intelligent and nice man, he joked with me about having his back with all of my guns. He was a large black city cop that joked and certainly upheld our rights to arm ourselves and open carry. It was a pleasant encounter........then, as
I was shopping...wait, this is for skid...."once upon a time in Richmond",,,I was shopping and someone shoved me...now im not the smallest or friendliest looking guy and I was open carrying three pistols. I turn around and small mute woman was motioning me to leave her presence because guns scared her....now she could only babble and make gestures but thats what she signaled. I was a paying customer at the booth beside her so I did not budge. She went crazy like she had ants in her pants. She coundnt sing and she couldnt dance, so we put some ants in her pants...well eventually she said to call the police, well many were open carrying and the police were everywhere. Once I got pissed enough, I said....lady if anyone needs a gun, it is you because you cannot scream for help or call the police, you idiot

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but the bolded above certainly doesn't convey respect for a fellow human being, even one whose thoughts or actions you disagree with. It sounds to me extremely condescending and disparaging.

FYI - living with a disabled person (I have a mentally retarded adult son who lives with me) does not convey special privilege.

thedevilrobyjohn

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but the bolded above certainly doesn't convey respect for a fellow human being, even one whose thoughts or actions you disagree with. It sounds to me extremely condescending and disparaging.

FYI - living with a disabled person (I have a mentally retarded adult son who lives with me) does not convey special privilege.

ants in her pants is the only way I could describe her behavior....its a song in a childrens commercial... I love that song and dance as if there were ants in my pants, well actually there are, we have a summer ant infestation

riverrat10k

Sorry I did not have your back, Grapeshot.

Told you guys it was too hot for me and almost died cutting my grass after breakfast.

E-mail sent to the director of economic development.

Was not there, but the behavior you describe matches your behavior at the Hanover Tomato Festival, that I DID obeserve firsthand.

Maybe things would have been diffferent if Peter Nap had been there with the camera.

Who had the Bluetooth video glasses that uploaded directly to the web at breakfast a few months ago? Maybe we can take up a collection for you and get you fully wired.

Amazing civil rights viotation by the city. Did they push out pro - or anti- abortion protestors? What about the Trayvon rallies in Richmond this weekend. Is that not political speech? The mayor spoke at that rally. Panhandlers? What about their signs? Active solicitation, unlike your activities.

DISGUSTING!

ETA: Writing to the Times Dispatch. Will compare the Trayvon rally to Grapeshot's activity. Maybe they will print it. For goodness sake the Trayvon rally is looking to reverse the rule of law! Justice for Trayvon! To hell with the law! Whereas Grapeshot was just standing there with signs. Again, ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING!

ps: Just wait till y'all see me really mad.

Last edited:

riverrat10k

I think calling her an idiot on a message board is much less hurtful or shameful than what she did to him in public.

My two sheckels.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If my letting people take GSL stickers from me is "political campaigning", then would not everybody wearing those stickers be guilty of the same?

As far as I know, no one wearing them was told to either take them off or leave lest they be charged with trespass :uhoh:

How dare anyone show support for their rights......especially in Richmond.

riverrat10k

Just sent this to the Department Director, Bart Hinckle at the Times Dispatch, and my Councilperson. Read the letter to see why it did not go to others. Gee whiz.

Dear Mr. Downey;

It has come to my attention that one of your employees, a Mr.George Bolos, violated one of my friends First Amendment right to free speech.

Mr. Downey, my friend was threatened with ARREST for tresspassing on public property for standing with "Guns Save Lives" stickers on his thumb at the Shokoe Tomato Festival. He was not handing out brochures (unless asked for literature), was not calling undue attention to himself (i.e. not "speechifyng"); he was just standing there, essentially "holding up a sign". He was saying "Hello" to passersby or similar pleasantries. Those who wanted a sticker, took them. Those who did not did not.

Mr. Downey, to threaten a citizen with a tresspass arrest for a legal activity is a criminal act. I am completely disgusted and ashamed of your employees behavior. My friend left after speaking with a RPD officer who said he would arrest my friend if he did not leave. The officer is also at fault, and this e-mail is being sent to Cheif Tarasovic. (note: I can find no e-mail address to contact the Chief of Police. Sending to Mayors office instead. note: No e-mail for Mayors office either, sending to my Councilperson. ---OK I give up. Trying to send to First Precinct Internal Affairs and can't seem to do that either. Guess our "leaders" are not too interested in hearing from the "led".)

Freedom of Information Act requests have already been filed concerning this incident requesting all official communication about this incident.

Ironically, on Saturday, the Mayor spoke at a "Justice for Trayvon" rally downtown. Signs were held up asking that a settled legal proceeding in Florida be overturned for the sake of "justice". Political speech at its finest, and apparently endorsed by the Mayor. Also, as far as I know, no one from the nutty anti-war Kansas church that recently came to town to troll for dollars was not arrested. How deep do your pockets need to be be to exercise your rights?

Is my friends speech less protected? What about HIS civil rights? As a resident of the City, I respectfully request the termination of Mr. Bolos; a man who has no respect for citizens rights has no business working for any municipality.

This e-mail is also being sent to the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

Thank you for your attention to this egregious behavior by not one, but two, city employees. I expect to see the appropriate action taken.

Respectfully,

Riverrat
Richmond, VA

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Dang nabbit - all I wanted was some fried green 'maters and lessen my supply of GSL stickers.

Never got my 'maters :(