• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Self-defense insurance

stealthyeliminator

Anyone have it? Heard of it? Looked at it? Think it's not necessary?

One of the things my CHL instructor talked about in our CHL class is that, if you do ever end up having to defend yourself, especially in public, and kill someone, justifiable or not, you should expect to be arrested and have to defend yourself in court, and you should expect for it to be extremely expensive (extremely expensive by my standard, at least; I'm just a poor boy (mommaaaa, just killed a maaaaan (lol))).

Anyway, so I looked around and found a couple of insurance packages designed to protect you in the event you have to defend yourself with lethal force. http://www.secondcalldefense.org/ and https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/membership/

Less than $500 a year. Kind of expensive considering the low chances you'd ever need to use it, but then again, not that expensive either. The peace of mind, for me, would make it worth the cost. I'm seriously considering purchasing a plan.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Anyone have it? Heard of it? Looked at it? Think it's not necessary?

One of the things my CHL instructor talked about in our CHL class is that, if you do ever end up having to defend yourself, especially in public, and kill someone, justifiable or not, you should expect to be arrested and have to defend yourself in court, and you should expect for it to be extremely expensive (extremely expensive by my standard, at least; I'm just a poor boy (mommaaaa, just killed a maaaaan (lol))).

Anyway, so I looked around and found a couple of insurance packages designed to protect you in the event you have to defend yourself with lethal force. http://www.secondcalldefense.org/ and https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/membership/

Less than $500 a year. Kind of expensive considering the low chances you'd ever need to use it, but then again, not that expensive either. The peace of mind, for me, would make it worth the cost. I'm seriously considering purchasing a plan.

may wish to look at nra too ... they have this w/lifetime membership?

Also, look into the policies and exclusions and consult a lawyer ..

stealthyeliminator

I have heard the NRA does offer some level of protection, but is seems (on the surface, good suggestion to consult with a lawyer) that these policies offer much better and more comprehensive coverage.

I also don't want to become a member of the NRA right now, for political reasons. But it definitely is something I'd consider in the future.

Last edited:

Wyldhog

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Technically it is pre-paid legal coverage. Insurance will not cover intentional acts, and shooting someone ought to either have been intentional or have one heck of a story behind it. Not many insurance policies cover negligence. No, NDs are not "shooting someone" - they are someone getting hit by a bullet that came out of a gun. It's a technical difference.

Many of the negatives of "self defense insurance" have already been pointed out. But let us not forget the issue that even some of the otherwise most respected firearms and self defense trainers preach - if you have prepaid coverage the prosecution will try to prove that you have been waiting for the opportunity to shoot someone. Just as having reloaded your own ammo proves that. Or having changed anything about/on/in the firearm from when it left the factory.

But my biggest reason for not considering getting some is that they only cover legal representation. Expenses (court reporters, expert witnesses, trave/lodging for your attorney, etc.) can possibly cost as much as if not double the attorney's fee. And many of those expenses must be paid in advance - possibly because someone got stiffed for their fee in the past.

stay safe.

OC for ME

I don't know how much a attorney will charge you to get keep you out of the Big House. Not to mention a civil suit. But, there is a attorney around here somewhere who has a good idea. Also, I suspect a few members have an idea as well.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I don't know how much a attorney will charge you to get keep you out of the Big House. Not to mention a civil suit. But, there is a attorney around here somewhere who has a good idea. Also, I suspect a few members have an idea as well.

Getting to trial & trial .. about 40K min...

I would think zimmerman's costs were about 100K

Last edited:

backupid

I doubt the insurance would cover me. Considering the only kind of people I'm likely to have to defend against have endless backup and laws in place to protect them, and for the moment, support of most people.

eye95

I hope you seek the help I have been imploring you seek since long before your original ID was banned. I really fear for your life, not because anyone is out to get you, but because of what you might do because you think that they are. Get help. And please choose to stop carrying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

stealthyeliminator

One of the ones I was looking at looked like it was immediate payout/no out of pocket expense. Covers bail money, attorney retainer and stuff. I think that all of the ones I looked at did have caps on criminal defense coverage. I was a bit dumb and didn't bookmark the ones I looked at originally. Thanks for the discussion, feel free to add any additional advice you have

backupid

Members, personal Message (PM) me if you want to know about eye95 and his grudge against me and some others. Also I recomend to not trust his advice, It is laced with his own motives.

stealthyeliminator

At first I was going to ask that you not derail my thread, but after reading the posts once more, I can't help but say, it appears to me as though Eye is being genuine, or at least legitimate, in his plea. Given the tone of your post, I think that his advice to you is good.

eye95

Members, personal Message (PM) me if you want to know about eye95 and his grudge against me and some others. Also I recomend to not trust his advice, It is laced with his own motives.

FYI folks, just so you know with whom you would be corresponding, this is the poster formerly known as Joanie. PM her if you will. I have specifically demanded that she stay out of my PM inbox and advised her that I will not PM her. Again, it is entirely your choice what to do.

Moving on so as not to further disrupt this thread.

Joanie, feel free to reply. I will not, except on the topic of the thread.

<o>

eye95

On self-defense insurance: I am worried that some exclusion would keep it from paying out. IMO, such insurance would only be valuable if it paid all costs of the defense and replaced lost income, apart from a healthy deductible to discourage indiscriminate "self-defense" shootings.

<o>

Mantioch

As mentioned in another thread, I have USCCA. Obviously, I don't know how good it actually is because I've never used it, thankfully. It seems pretty solid from the disclosures. And the magazine is awesome. It also covers anyone in your home, but not outside of your home.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2