• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking to buy a .44 magnum

bunnspecial

I have shot Ruger Redhawks and handled a couple of the Taurus 44s in gun shops.

At the end of the day I keep coming back to the S&W 29/629. Although they're not as durable as a Redhawk or Blackhawk, IMO they handle much better. I can't imagine carrying something as heavy as a Redhawk.

About a month back, I picked up a 629 Mountain Gun. The Mountain Guns have a 4" tapered barrel(like a 44 special 24/624) and a round butt frame, saving you about 2 oz. over the standard 29/629 in the same barrel length. More importantly, I find that for me the taper barrel balances a lot more naturally, although this is at the cost of added muzzle flip. The mountain guns can be had in the $800-900 range, although I paid $700 for a lightly used pre-lock version.

moonie

What is your intended use for the firearm? This will help guide you, ie, a single action isn't the best choice for self defence and a 8 3/8" barrel isn't good for concealed carry.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I owned up to 7 44s at one time right now I have a Taurus tracker and 2 red hawks. If one is going to do a lot of full magnum shooting the Rugers are the way to go.

They well go 10000s of full house loads with out a hick up.

The S@W are nice guns a bit lighter.

I wouldn't pass a smith up if found at a good price.

I buy Ruger then smith then Taurus if given the choice.

cm2624

Thanks for the responses. I am not looking for one to carry, already have my carry guns. I will probably go with the Redhawk. I already own the Ruger GP-100 .357 magnum. Rugers do handle the big magnum loads with no problem.

Last edited:

Gray Rider

Shoot and collect?

If collecting is a factor, Smith and Wesson 29 pinned and recessed and/or Ruger 3 screw.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I have owned three .44 Magnums and still own one. It is a Ruger Redhawk, circa 1984, with the 5 1/2" barrel. I installed Omark springs (think that is the correct name), Pachmayr grips, and the Ruger hunting sights that were available at that time for the gun. It is very accurate (I have shot 2 1/2" groups at 50 yards from a rest with it) and has handled every handload I put through it. I carried it for hours in the forest as it was my hunting handgun at the time. Oh, and it's the stainless version.

tomrkba

What did you end up buying?

Alaskan-800x600-muzzle.jpg

Gray Rider

Try on line

I am still looking. It is hard to find any .44 mags. I have been to numerous gun shops with no luck.

www.gunbroker.com is one source. I searched S&W 29-2 just as a trial and found several. You can broaden your search to fit whatever brands/models
you are considering. Smiths and Rugers ain't cheap. For a really nice one expect to pay more than Blue Book value. However if you bide your time you can get one without mortgaging the farm.

bebop4one

I think someone already posted this but I highly recommend the Smith & Wesson model 29. I have it in a 6 3/4" (or was it 6 1/2"???) barrel. It's blued and beautiful with very high quality checkered wood grips that come stock. If money is no object (and this will cost you!) I'd say go for it. Dirty harry made this gun famous and it was a best seller for years for a reason. It's the only sidearm I would really carry into bear country.

cm2624

Scrap the .44 magnum. I am now going to buy a S&W .500 magnum with the 8 3/8" barrel.

Just have to wait for the tax return. I promised the wife this will be my last handgun. (I never said anything about shotguns or rifles)! LOL! Thanks for all the responses, but after seeing the .500 I would not be satisfied until I own one.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I'd like to hear more reviews from longer-term owners. Seems all the ranges here have them for rent. But half the time I'm at a range, their .500 is back at the factory for a "tune-up." I wonder how many rounds that is?

Most .44 Mags are living forever without "tune-ups."

My personal choice if I needed more than .45 Colt is .454 Casull. If it can be done with a handgun, that can do it, and still have easy or magnum .45 Colt loads anytime.

youngeratlaw

I have had two Taurus .44 magnums blued 4 inch barrels. The first.... Shot once, shot twice, cocked for a third and it didn't feel right. Looked at the gun and the cylinder had gotten out of line with the last shot. Split the barrel and I had a loaded .44 with live rounds and a jammed cylinder. Made it out safely and sent it back to Taurus. They sent me a new one with no explanation. Second one was fine for a few years. Took it out to go shooting and the cylinder fell out onto the floor. Thought it must have unscrewed, nope, the steel had sheared where it attached. Didn't bother sending back, just dropped into the garbage. I feel like I was fortunate, twice. Have had a smith 629 and has been a great gun. Just do not like the shiny of stainless in a 4 inch barrel but great gun. Someone also mentioned the smith 500, I have one with a 4 inch barrel in stainless, great gun but it is a lot of gun. Pretty impossible to carry and of you ever had to defend yourself indoors you would be replacing your eardrums and probably the windows as well as the neighbors. Also tough to rapid fire on target and hang onto.

That is my 2 cents. 1 each for the smith with two goose eggs to Taurus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Please excuse my typos