• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking to buy a .44 magnum

Firearms Iinstuctor

Someone also mentioned the smith 500, I have one with a 4 inch barrel in stainless, great gun but it is a lot of gun. Pretty impossible to carry and of you ever had to defend yourself indoors you would be replacing your eardrums and probably the windows as well as the neighbors. Also tough to rapid fire on target and hang onto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Please excuse my typos

Shot a couple of 500s a bit 4 inch and 8 3/8 lots of gun one doesn't double tap with a 500 I always thought a 400 gr WFN hard cast around 950fps would be a good load. would give lots of penetration , less recoil and make a big hole.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... I always thought a 400 gr WFN hard cast around 950fps would be a good load. would give lots of penetration , less recoil and make a big hole.

While not quite the diameter, that performance is well within the powerband of the .454 Casull in factory ammo, and, indeed, almost matched with +P .45 Colt ammo in some guns.

bunnspecial

If I were in the market for an X-frame S&W, I'd probably choose the .460 over the .500. On paper, the 460 give surprisingly similar ballistics , but the 460 offers the advantage of being able to use 454 Casull and 45 Colt.

If you handload, the 500 can, of course, be downloaded, although factory "500 special" loadings seem to be limited.

rscottie

I have had two Taurus .44 magnums blued 4 inch barrels. The first.... Shot once, shot twice, cocked for a third and it didn't feel right. Looked at the gun and the cylinder had gotten out of line with the last shot. Split the barrel and I had a loaded .44 with live rounds and a jammed cylinder. Made it out safely and sent it back to Taurus. They sent me a new one with no explanation. Second one was fine for a few years. Took it out to go shooting and the cylinder fell out onto the floor. Thought it must have unscrewed, nope, the steel had sheared where it attached. Didn't bother sending back, just dropped into the garbage. I feel like I was fortunate, twice. Have had a smith 629 and has been a great gun. Just do not like the shiny of stainless in a 4 inch barrel but great gun. Someone also mentioned the smith 500, I have one with a 4 inch barrel in stainless, great gun but it is a lot of gun. Pretty impossible to carry and of you ever had to defend yourself indoors you would be replacing your eardrums and probably the windows as well as the neighbors. Also tough to rapid fire on target and hang onto.

That is my 2 cents. 1 each for the smith with two goose eggs to Taurus.

Which model did you have?

youngeratlaw

I don't recall. The first one was purchased about ten years ago and then they sent me one after. Taurus .44 mag 4 inch blued with built in compensator type ports is all I can tell you for sure. They were accurate until they both had cylinder problems. I also am an occasional shooter with quite a few guns and really treat them well so they were well cared for and didn't have a huge number of rounds through them. (First one less that 200) Plus .44 isn't cheap to shoot. Not like selling the house to shoot the 500 though....

bunnspecial

Plus .44 isn't cheap to shoot.

I took up reloading shortly after I bought my 44.

Around here, factory 44 magnum runs $35-40(including tax) per 50 for imported stuff and $40-45 for American brands. 44 special is about the same.

Using(bought) cast or plated bullets, I can load either 44 special or magnum for $10-12 a box, depending on which specific powder I use and how hot I choose to load. I can load Hornady XTP hollowpoints for about $17 per 50.

My experience is that the 44 magnum is not an easy cartridge to shoot well, and learning to shoot it really well requires a person to have either deep pockets or to reload. I went with the reloading option.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Scrap the .44 magnum. I am now going to buy a S&W .500 magnum with the 8 3/8" barrel.

Just have to wait for the tax return. I promised the wife this will be my last handgun. (I never said anything about shotguns or rifles)! LOL! Thanks for all the responses, but after seeing the .500 I would not be satisfied until I own one.

I shot the .500 S&W portable cannon (highest grain ammo). Its a hoot to shoot. I would go with the longer barrel too if I wanted to purchase it.

Big issue I had was the kick ... and it had it to spare. I have a couple of pins in my hand ... and I paid the price for having the fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucjwnPRicQw

^^^^ link to video ....

I recommend you trial shoot one prior to purchase ... the gun is not for everyone. But it is a monster ... and fun (as long as you don't hurt yourself). Try out lower grain cartridges.

WalkingWolf

I pick up my new 44 this coming monday. A 4.75 inch 1873 clone made by Pietta, and imported by traditions. The reviews have been very good for this gun, unlike the reviews for Taurus big frame revolvers. My next step is 44Spl Blackhawk, and I may take a gamble and get a CA bulldog.

Years ago I had a 28 converted to 44 Spl, I loved that gun. I sold it for a nice profit not realizing how much it would be worth today.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I took up reloading shortly after I bought my 44.

Around here, factory 44 magnum runs $35-40(including tax) per 50 for imported stuff and $40-45 for American brands. 44 special is about the same.

Using(bought) cast or plated bullets, I can load either 44 special or magnum for $10-12 a box, depending on which specific powder I use and how hot I choose to load. I can load Hornady XTP hollowpoints for about $17 per 50.

My experience is that the 44 magnum is not an easy cartridge to shoot well, and learning to shoot it really well requires a person to have either deep pockets or to reload. I went with the reloading option.

With casting my own bullets the cost gets down to 5 bucks a box or so.

bunnspecial

Casting needs to be my next investment...especially since I've been having a hard time finding .312 caliber bullets for my 32-20 reloading and .357 SWCs are getting uncomfortably expensive.

There's always more money to spend to save money.

WalkingWolf

Casting needs to be my next investment...especially since I've been having a hard time finding .312 caliber bullets for my 32-20 reloading and .357 SWCs are getting uncomfortably expensive.

There's always more money to spend to save money.

I believe Desperado Cowboy Bullets has sized 32 bullets in both 312, and 313, and they are soft cast. I have a 32-20 that I do not plan on shooting a lot, gun is over 100 years old. There is no need for hard cast at velocities lower than 1000fps. Buying a couple hundred bullets, will cost less than a lee mold. 500 probably would be about the price of a mold. If you intend to shoot more than 500 bullets then you should cast.

Firearms Iinstuctor

When it comes to reloading casting and saving money it is all about how much one shoots.

If one isn't going to shoot a lot then one well not save.

If one plans on shooting any way reloading well save you money.

bunnspecial

When it comes to reloading casting and saving money it is all about how much one shoots.

If one isn't going to shoot a lot then one well not save.

If one plans on shooting any way reloading well save you money.

The more I get into reloading, the more I find that there are other benefits than just saving money. Specifically, I can get exactly the load I want and that performs the best in the gun that I'm shooting it out of. I tend to prefer standard weight bullets(i.e. 158 gr for 38 spec/357 magnum and 240gr for 44 magnum) and can load whatever bullet profile I want in that weight as hot or as mild as is safe(in either direction). Plus, try to find 38 special wadcutters in stock these days.

I still buy factory ammo for carry and self defense, but prefer my reloaded ammo for all other purposes.

Of course, the cost equation can be shifted pretty significantly depending on caliber. 32-20, for example, is inexpensive to reload but runs $40-50 for factory ammo. A set of dies and 100 pieces of new brass are less expensive than two boxes of factory ammo. 41 magnum is another one, with factory ammo running $50-70 per box of 50.

WalkingWolf

The more I get into reloading, the more I find that there are other benefits than just saving money. Specifically, I can get exactly the load I want and that performs the best in the gun that I'm shooting it out of. I tend to prefer standard weight bullets(i.e. 158 gr for 38 spec/357 magnum and 240gr for 44 magnum) and can load whatever bullet profile I want in that weight as hot or as mild as is safe(in either direction). Plus, try to find 38 special wadcutters in stock these days.

I still buy factory ammo for carry and self defense, but prefer my reloaded ammo for all other purposes.

Of course, the cost equation can be shifted pretty significantly depending on caliber. 32-20, for example, is inexpensive to reload but runs $40-50 for factory ammo. A set of dies and 100 pieces of new brass are less expensive than two boxes of factory ammo. 41 magnum is another one, with factory ammo running $50-70 per box of 50.

I was shocked at the price of factory 32-20 ammo. Was happy the LGS gave me a box with my purchase. I saved 24 rounds for carry, but load on the lower end for shooting to preserve the old gun.

Firearms Iinstuctor

The 500s I have used shot well do you know what ammo and bullet combo you well be using. I always thought a 400gr WFN or so hard cast around 1100 would be nice to shoot and a good thumper besides.

Last edited:

Johnbo

1873 clone made by Pietta

Make sure and check the screws periodically as they will start to unscrew after a few firings. At least they do on my heritage big bore .45 colt sa made by Pietta in Italy.